Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Microsoft’s Vail becomes Windows Home Server 2011 for RC launch

Thanks

Re: News - Microsoft’s Vail becomes Windows Home Server 2011 for RC launch

What does it bring to the table in the way of filling up a drive with videos and then needing to create another video share on another drive, does it have library type shares where the server knows more than one location for a type of share and then adds them all or are we looking at multiple share folders all with similar names?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Hokay - seems that WHS is x86, whereas Vail is 64 bit only (being based on Server 2008 R2), so there is no straight upgrade path. Hope that helps those of you who have been considering the upgrade anyways
    There is if the existing hardware is 64-bit, and if the "upgrade" is the type I was talking about. Consider it as an upgrade path rather than a physical upgrade of installed software.

Personally, as I said earlier, I wouldn't do a major OS upgrade over an existing installation anyway. Service pack, yes, major upgrade, no.

I don't upgrade without a very good reason, but if I do it, I do it properly, not via the quick and easy route.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    What does it bring to the table in the way of filling up a drive with videos and then needing to create another video share on another drive, does it have library type shares where the server knows more than one location for a type of share and then adds them all or are we looking at multiple share folders all with similar names?
    Simply put, DE treats all attached (and "added") disks as a single pool of space containing named folders. If that "pool" needs space, you add another disk .... which could be internal (IDE, SATA, SCSI, etc), or external via USB, Firewire, e-SATA.

You can then set permissions for folders, most notably, duplicated or not. If you set a folder as duplicated (on a system with multiple drives), the contents of that folder will be duplicated on a separate physical disk within the pool, but you don't worry about where, or doing it manually.

It's conceptually kind-of like treating the disks as if they were a JBOD, combined with with files and folders benefiting from the duplication of RAID mirroring, without the hassle of setting up or maintaining RAID.

For me, and for non-critical usage, WHS is simply a very simple and easy way to kill several birds with one stone. Each PC connects to the WHS via a simple utility, so you can use that to keep a practical background on-the-fly backup of any connected PCs data too. That doesn't need DE, but it certainly works well with it. And there are other features too, but the whole thing combines into a very slick solution for several home problems.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    There is if the existing hardware is 64-bit, and if the "upgrade" is the type I was talking about. Consider it as an upgrade path rather than a physical upgrade of installed software.

Personally, as I said earlier, I wouldn't do a major OS upgrade over an existing installation anyway. Service pack, yes, major upgrade, no.

I don't upgrade without a very good reason, but if I do it, I do it properly, not via the quick and easy route.
    Aye, but what you're referring to isn't the situation Shooty asked about. You cannot run the installer as an upgrade from within the OS, though I've yet to try the "clean install" upgrade you mention. I suspect if you run that method all disks will be formatted and new storage pools would be created.

Splash

Just tried to upgrade outside of the OS and (as I suspected) it's not possible - clean install only, so you'd need to backup your data, install and then restore to the non-DE disks.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Aye, but what you're referring to isn't the situation Shooty asked about.....
    Indeed, but the reply I quoted referred to "those of you" rather than just to Shooty, and I'd already referred to "upgrading", so I felt it needed to be clear what I was talking about, which was not the "over the top" type of upgrade, or for that matter the "upgrade as opposed to full retail licence" as could be the case from Win XP to Windows 7, but the clean install version of upgrading an OS.

In other words, we use the term "upgrade" to mean several different things in different circumstances.

Splash

Fairy snuff.

Anyhoo, you can't do it without backing up and restoring your data. And on that note I'm done with my testing of WHS2011.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

heh I've been looking at this because at the moment my shadow copy is not an ideal solution, so I'd like something a bit better.

However without drive extender it is really a bit crap.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

I tried Amahi as a substitute. It's pretty good but Greyhole (a DE alternative/disk pooler) I found fiddly and I'm not sure I'd trust it with critical data.

It got removed because my Samsung tv wouldn't play with its DLNA though a new version is on the way and that's already been addressed, apparently. It could well be one to watch, some of the documentation isn't as clear as it might be though.

I tried FreeNAS after that with similarly frustrating Samsung issues.

I'm retiring the WHS server/box altogether though, I've got two NAS devices and I found that I used them far more and that they're easier to schedule on/offs etc. rather than having a dedicated PC running 24/7. I've got an A.C. Ryan Play On! Mini and an LG streaming Blu-ray on the way for the main TV so I'm leaving that side of things to the NAS solutions.

Thanks

what do you use for remote desktop and for pc backup?

I always like the sheer simplicity of the WHS backup system espesually restoring a system or opening files.

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't really use Remote Desktop tbh - back ups are via the NAS devices and an external e-sata for the main rig.

Like you've noted, nothing else I've used really matches WHS for overall simplicity though.

Thanks

Its the fact its both an imaging style simple restore process, and an I can view my files solution.

That too me is it, a NAS has always been a cheaper often faster for serving files solution, but it hasn't had the wonderfully low effort maintance thing going on.

CWH
    Registered+
    Thanks

There is no official upgrade path from v1 to v2 becuase of 32/64 bit and because of DE.
    However, there are already a couple of utilities written which will transfer data from an 'old' box to a 'new box and also do validity/integrety checks.
    M/S have said that there won't be anywhere near as many OEM products available as this version is geared towards system builders and hardware partners. Some of which are working on their own versions of duplication and even hardware or software Raid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information