Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Bethesda claims "games are too expensive", announces $150 Skyrim Collector's E

Thanks
    • .havoc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Auros
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700x
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb DDR4 @ 2993mhz
      • Storage:
      • Plextor m2 / Samsung 850 pro / Crucial M4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1500w
      • Case:
      • Caselabs Bullet BH8
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x 24in 1440p 165hz, 1x 1080p 144hz
      • Internet:
      • 220mb

Re: News - Bethesda claims "games are too expensive", announces $150 Skyrim Collector

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: News - Bethesda claims "games are too expensive", announces $150 Skyrim Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Zap View Post

It's also not helped by the fact that there will indeed be no demo for Skyrim, making that decision to part with your cash somewhat more difficult.
    For me, it's makes it much easier. No demo, no ability to "taste" the game, then no parting with cash. Period.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Yosh View Post
    Ah yes, the VAT, £20 for logistics is extreme though, don't you think?
    Not when you also take into account market sizes/bearing prices. We're quite used to paying up to 100% on stuff from the states, £20 is hardly unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    For me, it's makes it much easier. No demo, no ability to "taste" the game, then no parting with cash. Period.
    I thought you said you'd bought previous TES games? The only one with a demo was Daggerfall if I remember correctly.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Not when you also take into account market sizes/bearing prices. We're quite used to paying up to 100% on stuff from the states, £20 is hardly unusual.

I thought you said you'd bought previous TES games? The only one with a demo was Daggerfall if I remember correctly.
    Only because a friend had them. A friend that's since moved too far away to get to very often.

Thanks

Its more likely a bit of extra profit. Logistics might cost £1 but not £20 when you consider stock is shifted around in containers (Container fee divided by a lot of units)
    Insert signature here.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Only because a friend had them. A friend that's since moved too far away to get to very often.
    Yeah I quite like the demo via friend approach, still, you might be able to find someone in your near vicinity/social circle that will be playing Skyrim.

Its more likely a bit of extra profit. Logistics might cost £1 but not £20 when you consider stock is shifted around in containers (Container fee divided by a lot of units)
    As opposed to a cut in profit for the US market?

Logistics isn't really just shipping costs, it's more local personnel costs - marketeers, retail, lawyers, other localisation costs etc. Wages in the UK are high, which contributes both to actual cost and market-bearing pricing.

Thanks

Yeah I quite like the demo via friend approach, still, you might be able to find someone in your near vicinity/social circle that will be playing Skyrim.

As opposed to a cut in profit for the US market?

Logistics isn't really just shipping costs, it's more local personnel costs - marketeers, retail, lawyers, other localisation costs etc. Wages in the UK are high, which contributes both to actual cost and market-bearing pricing.
    Surely all that is covered in the unit/box price already, all they are doing is shipping from their warehouse to either their UK warehouse or direct to retailers warehouses.
    Insert signature here.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Surely all that is covered in the unit/box price already
    Which is why box prices are higher in the UK, yes

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

How does $150 work out as £130, shouldn't it be more like £90-95?
    All technology products usually reach around $1=£1 parity after market size, transport, property costs, taxes, etc., are accounted for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Sadly, with a couple of exceptions, I'm not aware of anyone near in my social circle that plays computer games much less TES, and that couple are more into flight sims and racing games, etc, not fantasy/RPG.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Sadly, with a couple of exceptions, I'm not aware of anyone near in my social circle that plays computer games much less TES, and that couple are more into flight sims and racing games, etc, not fantasy/RPG.
    I will quite happily purchase Skyrim and spend many many hours telling you how awesome it is (assuming it is indeed awesome as promised)

With regards to the article, it would be nice if games could reach a new, lower price point but the only way this could realistically happen is if they shifted more units of a particular title. It could be argued that the sheer number of new releases each month is actually increasing the price of games per unit, rather than decreasing them as the development costs tend to remain fairly static.

Of course, with regards to the collectors editions, you're paying for the statue, as any regular visitor to Forbidden Planet will tell you, those resin pieces cost a lot of money, usually due to their low production run. It's annoying, I'd pay a bit extra for a couple of in-game items, or some nifty piece like a cloth map, or a lunchbox or small desktop statue (the Fallout 3 Collectors edition is one of the best I've seen recently)

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

Skyrim will be awesome, of that there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever, however it will be awesome around 6 months after release when they have patched all the holes and gamebreaking issues.

I will never buy a Bethseda game immediately it comes out, I will buy them, but after Fallout : NV, I really do not want to get stung again.
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable

I cant remember the last time i bought a game and felt truly happy with it. I no longer get that sense of worth, i find damn near all these games incredibly over priced to begin with and then they push out DLC.

For instance i still feel cheated with my purchase of Black Ops on 360, though it still gets a lot of play the game cost me £37 on release and within the space of a few months i saw 2 map packs out. And the worse thing is, as more and more people buy those map packs my ability to play the game online diminishes. I bought one map pack and couldnt feel more mugged off when the exact same day just hours later they released news of the next one.

The exception to any of my recent game purchases within probably the last 2 years would be Starcraft 2, the game felt well polished, well supported and continues to see hours and hours of play. Also there limited edition didnt cost me a kidney, coming in at £50 pre-ordered i am still very content and appreciated the extras included.

Just wish more developers would cotton on to what gaming is about: Producing the best game possible, showing off and fun. Not overpriced endless crap.

Thanks

Been doing that for ages. Unless you feel a driving need to be playing the latest game as it comes out, perhaps because of playing others online, that strategy saves a huge amount of money.
    I am still waiting for Starcraft 2 to drop in price. Yes, there are a lot of very content buyers. But even if I were to swallow the argument that the game is so epic that it should be seen as the first of a trilogy than a third of a whole game, it's still an expensive year old game.

And as for DLC, I have to say some companies are really milking it. I can live having to pay the same price for Super Street Fight IV: Arcade Edition as someone who has never bought Street Fighter IV. But look at the DLC for it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/45760/

I won't buy a single one of them unless they make a complete package by the time I buy it. And if they don't, I'll hold my purchase until the game is dirt cheap and I'll just ignore the DLCs.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    And as for DLC, I have to say some companies are really milking it. I can live having to pay the same price for Super Street Fight IV: Arcade Edition as someone who has never bought Street Fighter IV. But look at the DLC for it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/45760/

I won't buy a single one of them unless they make a complete package by the time I buy it. And if they don't, I'll hold my purchase until the game is dirt cheap and I'll just ignore the DLCs.
    Actually, the link you provided shows the *good* side of DLC, the side where you can buy optional extras that really don't make a blind bit of difference to the gameplay, nor stop you from taking part in any of the action. Costume packs and minipets are the ideal form of DLC, you buy them if you like them and ignore them if you don't.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

16. Received thanks from:

Saracen (09-08-2011)

Thanks
    • dfour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair 8 Hero wifi
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700x
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Dark pro @3600
      • Storage:
      • sabrent and wd nvme + 3 TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Vega 64 Strix water cooled
      • PSU:
      • Fractal design Ion+ 760p
      • Case:
      • Lian Li 011D custom water cooled
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC agon 32" + Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Zen Fibre @72 meg

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I have my copy of Skyrym on pre-order basd on the strenth of the previous 2 eldar scrolls games and the bargain pre-order in the hexus forums.

I agree dlc shouldnt be game breaking stuff like map packs as it excludes non payers from playing and enjoying there games. Unfortunatly its a good money spinner for the companies so its going to continue

Dragon, book and DVD very nice but £120 no thanks .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information