• Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: News - HP Mini 1104 netbook aimed at students on a budget

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Not my experience, the HP's in my possession have had less faults than the Acer's ...
    Both my HPs have died horribly - one from a slow lingering death *after* it was warranty repaired (so that one died twice in less than 2 1/2 years). Both seem to have had issues with power delivery. It's put me right off HPs. The Acer's I've used / owned have all been very well behaved. Although if someone else was buying it for me (say, a work laptop) I'd probably push for a Dell.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - HP Mini 1104 netbook aimed at students on a budget

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Both my HPs have died horribly - one from a slow lingering death *after* it was warranty repaired (so that one died twice in less than 2 1/2 years). Both seem to have had issues with power delivery. It's put me right off HPs. The Acer's I've used / owned have all been very well behaved. Although if someone else was buying it for me (say, a work laptop) I'd probably push for a Dell.
    Like I was saying to "Pancake" I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience with your HP's - although I don't work for the bit that does the laptops, it's still annoying. Not that I'm making excuses but it was well known that one of Mark Hurd's (pauses to spit) "innovations" was to cut quality control - the "just good enough IS good enough" mentality, which you'd expect from a fr**king bean counter. Witness the furore about the problems with the 6500 series laptops USB ports being less than totally reliable (I've got a 6510b in front of me and I had initial problems with one port in particular - the rest have been solid). Interestingly the new management are reversing that and the attitude now seems to be "make the best we can within the budget available".

With my "consumer" hat on I'd be real worried about the 1104's - the phrase "budget" = "made down to a price" in my book. Never indicative of bulletproof build quality.

Conversely, I've had nothing but good experiences with my various Dell's - most notably with a much abused D620 that I'm typing this on - it "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'", and I've got a full set of user and service documentation - the latter being necessary since I've upgraded everything on that '620 apart from processor and screen so far as needs dictated. Certainly I'd be happy to have another Dell - although an HP DV6 looks good spec-wise.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information