Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - MacBook Pro 2012 13-inch specification list surfaces

Thanks

Re: News - MacBook Pro 2012 13-inch specification list surfaces

Apple Store

Enjoy incredible performance from the 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, which features four processor cores on a single chip. Choose the speed you want.
    The Intel Core i7 processors are based on new 32-nanometre process technology with an advanced Core micro-architecture that features an integrated memory controller and Level 3 cache, giving the MacBook Pro faster, more direct access to memory. In addition, these processors feature:

Turbo Boost 2.0 — a dynamic performance technology that automatically boosts the processor clock speed based on workload, giving you extra processing power when you need it.
    HyperThreading — a technology that allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core. So a quad-core MacBook Pro has eight virtual cores, all of which are recognised by Mac OS X. This enables the processor to deliver faster performance by spreading tasks more evenly across a greater number of cores.
    You can upgrade the processor in your MacBook Pro to the 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, featuring 8MB L3 cache and Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.60GHz.
    OK so it doesn't actually say Sandy Bridge, but if you know the difference between a Sandy Bridge and an Ivy Bridge then you probably know that a 32nm quad core i7 is Sandy Bridge. Wanting to know the exact model of the CPU is going back to what I said about PC users compare specs and details, Apple users care more about how well it works. I read an interview with a photographer who had moved from PC to Mac and was asked why, he said on a PC he was constantly messing and fiddling with the system and configuration, on the Mac he just gets work done. Yes, it was a photographer, but that is the feel of OSX when you use it regularly.

The comments I made about the speed difference was not saying that a CPU will run faster in Apple hardware, it was saying that for a general user doing general tasks like web browsing, email etc an Apple Mac will feel faster, partly down to the Apple OS being lighter than WIN7 and the more intuitive nature of OSX.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks

Re: News - MacBook Pro 2012 13-inch specification list surfaces

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    Link to info on Apple store

While I appreciate your concerns regarding the Apple salesperson, I would personally be doing a lot more research of my own before splashing the best of £1,500 on a laptop.
    As I mentioned before, if I wanted opinions and thoughts on the product I would research this through the internet, I wanted specific technical information which the manufacturer should have no problem in supplying me with.

If you read my first post in this thread you'll see that I didn't go on the Apple site to ask about something that I am serously considering purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barakka View Post
    OK so it doesn't actually say Sandy Bridge, but if you know the difference between a Sandy Bridge and an Ivy Bridge then you probably know that a 32nm quad core i7 is Sandy Bridge. Wanting to know the exact model of the CPU is going back to what I said about PC users compare specs and details, Apple users care more about how well it works. I read an interview with a photographer who had moved from PC to Mac and was asked why, he said on a PC he was constantly messing and fiddling with the system and configuration, on the Mac he just gets work done. Yes, it was a photographer, but that is the feel of OSX when you use it regularly.
    Ok, I agree that this is information which would enable me to be able to conclude which CPUs they are offering, but it doesn't tell me what they are offering. I will also admit that I did not see this information on their website - however it is only mentioned in the drop down on the configuration page and it still doesn't actually state which CPU they are, just alludes to it. I think it's a slightly false agrument to state that everyone who know that Ivy Bridge is new and that Sandy Bridge has been superseeded would also know which nm technology the two are based on, nor may they understand what this even means. As before, and now strengthened by this information, the reason that Apple don't state the actual models available is unexplainable. Again I would point out that the salesperson told me that they offered the latest technology, whether I know the difference between Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge this comment is miss-selling the product. Also it's not that she didn't know the answer, it's that the information wasn't available which gives us an insight in how Apple thinks they can sell products - they don't tell us because they expect us to trust their brand and then misslead us.

As coincidence would have it I am actually a photographer and I have to say that I find the workflow on my Windows PCs completely non-problematic, I have used a Mac but don't feel the need to switch. The cost difference also highly benefits me as I can own a much more powerful PC than Apple for the same price and can then put that difference towards other kit. This performance difference in the computing hardware alone makes my workflow massively faster than if I had the equivalent costing Apple hardware. I know this is waivering from the main point but it is a complimentary agrument, the bottom line is that Macs suit some people and PCs suit other people. I realise that there will be people who say that I should move to Mac because they are better for photorgaphy but this is an extremely ignorant position to try and defend.

Quote Originally Posted by Barakka View Post
    The comments I made about the speed difference was not saying that a CPU will run faster in Apple hardware, it was saying that for a general user doing general tasks like web browsing, email etc an Apple Mac will feel faster, partly down to the Apple OS being lighter than WIN7 and the more intuitive nature of OSX.
    Ok I understand that you meant to have originally stated that it would feel faster and not that it actually would be faster. However, if this is corect then it does indeed "skew the comparison unfairly" as you stated but not against Apple but in favour of Apple, therefore the argument doesn't hold water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information