• 4 GB
      • Storage:
      • 500 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 460
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 64

Re: News - iOS 6 banner spotted at the WWDC convention centre

Why so much hate for Apple? Is it the new cool thing to love to hate Apple instead of M$?
    Thanks,
    Sacred

Thanks
    • mark22's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z68 extreme4
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k @4.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC16000
      • Storage:
      • Crucial C300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 6950 oc
      • PSU:
      • Antec truepower
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" LED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred View Post
    Why so much hate for Apple? Is it the new cool thing to love to hate Apple instead of M$?
    You of course jest, or are you twelve. Educate yourself how gates bailed that isiot out.

Thanks

There really is nothing innovative about IOS 6. Even Android ICS 4 was not really massively different to Gingerbread. The phone manufacturers have run out of ideas...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    apple want to make something called iTV - the TV company called iTV are somewhat not happy about that idea.....
    That's okay - OfCom have told Apple that if they want to sell iTV in this country then it HAS to show repeats of crime shows from the 70's and 80's (so good news for fans of Minder, The Sweeney, The Professionals) and some Britain's Got Talent tie up.
    That'll kill it stone dead for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred View Post
    "Hate" is a bit of a strong way to put it, "dislike" or "contempt" would be better. Whatever the description, it can be argued that they earned it.

First of you have the attitude of the iFans (I really don't like "iSheep" as a description). The holier-than-thou attitude of some, combined with the unfounded zealotry of others gets peoples backs up. Yes, the iPhone is a good device, no it isn't perfect, and yes, for other people there ARE better choices. Similar story with iPads, MBP's etc.

Secondly, you have the companies PRC-like ability to claim (and then patent) other peoples work or the generally held way. E.g. telephonic device with rounded corners, a large screen and a single action button - seriously?

Thirdly, the modus operandi of getting US patents/trademarks for those "invented elsewhere" ideas and then using them to squash competitors. Note, not the MS way of "we've got a patent, so pony up some dough and we'll go away" (which some have likened to extortion), but instead "we've got a patent, so now WE'LL CRUSH YOU". And the lawsuits flung around are ALWAYS targeted only at their nearest commercial competitors. So it's obvious (even to the most biased) that the writs have little to do with "protecting Apple IP" and everything to do with "unfairly preserving Apple's market dominance"

Fourthly, lack of "innovation". The last three Apple products I bought (all iPods funnily enough) were chosen purely because either they were "best of breed" or had some standout feature. Today's Apple products - certainly in the iPod/iPad/iPhone lines - seem to focus purely on display technology. PS, I got rid of my most recent iPod (poor sound quality), and I'm finding that the replacement Nano I got (many thanks Apple!) for one that got lost isn't as good as older model (touch interfaces are all fine and good, but I still prefer the old scroll wheel). Still like my one remaining iPod very much indeed though - good sound and easy to use.

Fifthly, the patronising approach to customers. The "don't worry, Mac's don't get malware" fib I've been told in PCW and Apple stores (wrong - they do, just the same as any other PC), down to the "interesting" ways that control is exercised in the much-vaunted "walled garden" app store - with some apps being denied for no readily apparent reason, others let in, and all the time Apple insisting on a cut of app sales and any other subsequent activity - e.g. you buy a magazine app and then Apple insist on also having a cut of the costs of that magazine subscription. Other example being that (although I'm not sure that it's still the case) you had to use Apple's approved development tools, and no others.

Don't get me wrong, like I said the iPhone/iPads are good devices, I'd quite like a Mac (if I could afford it), and the dealings I had with Apple customer services last month were excellent. So they're not a bad company per se, merely one who don't seem interested in winning friends outside of their loyalist community. Remember that Apple do contribute stuff back to the open source community (e.g. CUPS printer daemon), so like I said, they're not totally bad.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

5. Received thanks from:

Hicks12 (11-06-2012)

Thanks

So there we have it, 15" display with 2880x1800 resolution, stunning.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

So, iOS6 == turd. We've got maps, but we know how much effort they made with their voice search to support the uk, so this will almost certainly be worse. The idea of having a button in the car thats branded. Do not want. I thought the amount of money I spent on my car was too much without a branded button for the voice control (which sorry apple, you've not invented, I've had it on my WP7 since launch).

However the MBP 15" high res, nice on paper, might have to check that out according to engadget:
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/n...whats-changed/
    It still have 7 hour battery life, not sure if I believe that thou...
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    However the MBP 15" high res, nice on paper, might have to check that out according to engadget:
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/n...whats-changed/
    It still have 7 hour battery life, not sure if I believe that thou...
    Hmm, looks nice, but I agree with the general tone in the comments - technically nice, but with price that only a bonus-beladen banker could easily afford.
    Quote Originally Posted by expertcomputing View Post
    There really is nothing innovative about IOS 6. Even Android ICS 4 was not really massively different to Gingerbread. The phone manufacturers have run out of ideas...
    Erm, I'm going to disagree on that second sentence - based on the two and a half devices I've got here (two were GB and then upgraded to ICS, one shipped with ICS) GB definitely delivers an inferior "user experience" to ICS. Plus there were "under the hood" changes - look on xda and elsewhere and you'll see that usually (SE Xperia 2011's excepted) a GB phone delivers lower benchmark figures than the same hardware running ICS.

However, I'm not a big fan of benchmarks anyway, so for me the key is the (much-improved) user experience.

You might have a point on that first sentence though - if iOS is so "perfect" as the folks slagging off my Android gear would have me believe, then surely there's not much scope for the latest version to be "better"?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

I agree - ICS's look and feel is significantly different - my Galaxy Nexus felt all fresh and new after my previous GB device. Previous updates felt very minor by comparison.

By contrast my iPad 3 (yes i've got one stop sniggering) doesn't feel/look that different to the original iPhone and i've spent the past couple of weeks hacking it so that it does (not to mention adding all the functionality i'd take for granted on an android platform (still stuck with the dumb as rocks keyboard but at least i've got 5 rows on it now).

Reading through what's "new" in iOS six i'm struggling to see anything warranting a major revision number change for an iPad 3 owner - am I missing something?
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    You might have a point on that first sentence though - if iOS is so "perfect" as the folks slagging off my Android gear would have me believe, then surely there's not much scope for the latest version to be "better"?
    Nah apparently they are adding live tiles, sorry, sorry, widgets.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information