Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox 720 won’t be a great leap forward

Thanks

Re: News - Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox 720 won’t be a great leap forward

Quote Originally Posted by Blett View Post
    Oh god, not more peripherals please!

It feels like for the past ten years we've been bombarded with ridiculous add-ons for consoles to try and make our games feel more interactive, and it only ever leads to a more limited experience.

I yearn for the days when an updated console meant a huge leap forward in sound, graphics and possible gameplay mechanics.
    Its probably earning them a lot more money for less R&D to add on 'newbie' friendly controllers to attract non gamers into buying consoles than it is to develop more powerful consoles and replace the entire system for the core gamer element only.

Thus we are stuck in a 'its fast enough, it looks pretty enough, it sounds good enough' era so why throw billions into developing a better one when they can sell an existing good enough one to more people?

Registered+
    Thanks

The new consoles should be able to cater to devs that want to push the realism boundries. For the next console to last 8 years i would like to see at least gtx560/6950 implemented. Powerful but cost effective solutions that will allow some progression in game devopment over the next few years.
    For the last few years they've flogged the dead 7800gt in the 360/ps3 with a stick and its pathetic twitching is becoming a bore -_-

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norm View Post
    How many gens away are we from photo-realistc graphics? : )

Personally I think peripherals are a gimmick and they should always be focusing on making games look more real.
    Research 8K.
    Reasonable prices maybe 2017.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    BTW out of interest, anyone managed to get Kinect to detect you when sat down?
    Me (just tried it) although it seemed to have developed a "fascination" with my upper thigh area - not sure whether to be creeped out by that or feel complimented.

Yes, I know too much information!

Hand gestures (away from my crotch - before someone suggests same) were also recognised. Although the usual Kinect (for XBox) problem of "short sightedness" was still evident.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    remind me again what groundbreaking AAA amazing title(s) carmack has made in the last 10 years?

is that the sound of wind i can hear??
    John Carmack admits that i.d. took way too long to make Rage and made a number of mistakes along the way.
    My big problem with id, the engine to Doom 3 was so hyped but when it arrived was not great and their latest engine doesnt look much different. The character animation blatently follows preset paths and feels very wooden, it reminds me of the Pirates of the Carribbean ride where each time you go round the characters perform the same action so it's pointless going on more than once.

Unfortunately when you move from bedroom programmer to company programmer the freedom's you once had are destroyed by corporate madness, sales over quality, the consumer is the after thought. It amazes me new maps still come out for Doom II by the modding community.
    There are not many games, if any actually, since 2006/7 that I would go back to play again. For example many of the previous Battlefield games had modding ability and a good community, so you could go back to it and play it in a newish way, this is wiped out now in BF3 for complete corporoate control via DLC. Ironically DLC's are worse than what the modders would have done.

I think like 3D, VR may make some headway but surely your eyes will suffer. On the other hand if spectacles are still going to come out with video in-built to them then this is where VR could make its biggest stand, but as seperate standalone headgear I think you can forget any lasting appeal.

Thanks

Meh, I don't care about consoles anymore. Thanks to Scan and the kind forum goers of Hexus, I built my first gaming PC a few months ago and am now more than happy. My PS3 had been collecting dust for several months up until that point.

Thanks

I agree that games should be focused on reality. Id like to be playing fifa as if watching it on tv. or playing call of duty as if watching a film with real characters/ actors etc. I do likie the idea of peripherals but the sheer weight of a vr headset would surely hamper you playing through the night as we have all done im sure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information