• cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Re: News - Piracy forced Dead Trigger Android to go free instead of 79p

I can understand the moaning. I bought grabatron during the play store launch sales for a similar amount only to find the game going freemium about 2 weeks later - which made the game a lot harder to play. I feel like that sale was very cheeky as they must have know it was going to be 'free' in a few weeks.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malphas View Post
    Yeah, I don't buy this reasoning that they've made it free due to piracy.
    Why not? The reasoning is pretty simple: we put it out at a low price, but few are paying it, might as well make it free and hope that in-app purchases makes makes us more money as a result.

Games that don't have IAP can't easily follow this model. It's clear that more developers will move towards the "free to play" (IAP) model because that's apparently what works.

I think that part of the reason for rampant piracy is, apart from being easy on the Android, that more young people play on smartphones while PC gaming (which also still has rampant piracy) has some more mature gamers.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

For balance, piracy if anything is even easier on iOS (cydia)
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    For balance, piracy if anything is even easier on iOS (cydia)
    Yes, but what percentage of real iPhone users jailbreak their phones these days? Not enough for most iOS developers to care.

I am highly sceptical that the reason for the price drop has anything to do with piracy. It's a cheap pr stunt.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
    Why not? The reasoning is pretty simple: we put it out at a low price, but few are paying it, might as well make it free and hope that in-app purchases makes makes us more money as a result.
    It's surely a given that the IAP's is going to make them more money than the initial 75p "purchase" price. Especially given that - judging on comments elsewhere - some of the IAP is actually essential if you want to get anywhere deep into the game. In which case, I'd regard that as just as false/flawed as Activision's Elit3 scheme.
    Games that don't have IAP can't easily follow this model. It's clear that more developers will move towards the "free to play" (IAP) model because that's apparently what works.

Quote Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
    I think that part of the reason for rampant piracy is, apart from being easy on the Android, that more young people play on smartphones while PC gaming (which also still has rampant piracy) has some more mature gamers.
    Oooh, you must really enjoy being flamed - why didn't you rephrase that as "cheap-skate freeloading students" and have done with it!

You've got half a point there - there's an expectation that a free OS (which Android is) will also have free apps. Same deal with Linux systems. So it's then a bit of a wrench to suddenly find that shiny new app is going to cost you real money. Interestingly I'm also hearing grumbles from iPhoners that "the app store is getting very expensive" - mainly (as far as I can tell) because there's more paid-for content in the IAS compared to the ad-heavy Google Play one.

I'm an old-fart, and an ex-developer myself, so I'm quite content to pay upfront for my content, in preference to IAP's. So unless Dead Trigger has some kind of mega "give me all IAP content" pack then I think it and I will shortly have a parting of the ways. Especially since us non-Tegra3 owners seem to be regarded as an underclass for no good reason.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Malphas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator 16GB (4x4GB)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB and a bunch of hard drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-6B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW
      • Internet:
      • 24Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    there's an expectation that a free OS (which Android is) will also have free apps.
    Eh, I'm not so sure about that. I don't think the average user factors in - or cares - about the price of the OS. You're buying a phone/device rather than the operating system, and buying an Android device is basically indistinguishable from buying an iOS device so the user expectation should be the same in that regard.

Thanks

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. I don't think the average user factors in - or cares - about the price of the OS. You're buying a phone/device rather than the operating system, and buying an Android device is basically indistinguishable from buying an iOS device so the user expectation should be the same in that regard.
    It would be an interesting study to see how many "Android" phone users have any idea what Android is and if they know there phone is running it.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    Yes, but what percentage of real iPhone users jailbreak their phones these days? Not enough for most iOS developers to care.

I am highly sceptical that the reason for the price drop has anything to do with piracy. It's a cheap pr stunt.
    You could argue the same about sideloading and you need to root to install some stuff too. Jailbreaking is (perhaps more) widely known about and trivial to do (and there are far more reasons to do that on iOS because it's so insanely restrictive). The reasons why most developers don't care is simple - cheap micro transaction style apps don't worry most people. The majority click and pay for stuff because it's zero hassle and neglible cost. I was amazed at how easy piracy was on my iPad though - apps like installous and cydia offer you pretty much everything - and ease is key. Why do you buy games on Steam, rather than via cheaper mailorder, or just pirate them? It's incredibly popular despite the apparent industry killing piracy that plagues the platform. So it's either because it's really easy (and offers some nice extras) to use or that people aren't necessarily bad or a combination of both

It would be an interesting study to see how many "Android" phone users have any idea what Android is and if they know there phone is running it.
    I think you'd be surprised - after all all those cute little green robots are everywhere on the marketing stuff
    They wouldn't know how it works, or what it's based on etc but then why would they? Even the most technically bereft people I know with Smartphones know about "android" even if they're using exactly 1% of the phone's functionality.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Maybe it's just a local thing, but pretty much ALL of the local phone shops have been pushing the Galaxy S3 as "running the latest version of Android" - which I'm assuming they wouldn't do if Joe Punter comes in and goes "what the eff's this 'Android' fing you keep talkin' about?". CPW especially were running "promotions" that pushed (hard) that Play carries "a majority of free apps".

Likewise, it's something that magazines like "Android User" (which is widely available - e.g. my local [backwater] Sainsbury's carries it) cover. And I'm sure it's been widely reported elsewhere - BBC Click for example.

Then again, I'm going to point out the very obvious - if you're talking about folks pirating DT then it's likely that they're going to have a higher level of knowledge - e.g. to be able to disable the "no 3rd party installs" protection and then find a suitable dodgy website with the apk on it, and subsequently install it. In which case, they will undoubted have heard of the background to Android.

Heck, even primary school kids know the difference between a phone that's got the iTunes app store v's one with Google Play on it. Okay, mainly down to the IAS user having to pay for Angry Birds whereas the Play user gets it for nowt, but the distinction is still there.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Malphas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-6B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 24Mbps ADSL

Maybe it's just a local thing, but pretty much ALL of the local phone shops have been pushing the Galaxy S3 as "running the latest version of Android" - which I'm assuming they wouldn't do if Joe Punter comes in and goes "what the eff's this 'Android' fing you keep talkin' about?". CPW especially were running "promotions" that pushed (hard) that Play carries "a majority of free apps".

Likewise, it's something that magazines like "Android User" (which is widely available - e.g. my local [backwater] Sainsbury's carries it) cover. And I'm sure it's been widely reported elsewhere - BBC Click for example.

Then again, I'm going to point out the very obvious - if you're talking about folks pirating DT then it's likely that they're going to have a higher level of knowledge - e.g. to be able to disable the "no 3rd party installs" protection and then find a suitable dodgy website with the apk on it, and subsequently install it. In which case, they will undoubted have heard of the background to Android.

Heck, even primary school kids know the difference between a phone that's got the iTunes app store v's one with Google Play on it. Okay, mainly down to the IAS user having to pay for Angry Birds whereas the Play user gets it for nowt, but the distinction is still there.
    I'm still doubtful there's much - if any - distinction between iOS and Android in terms of Android being free and therefore expecting the apps to be free too. Whichever phone you buy the cost of the OS isn't an issue; you pay for the phone overall (or more likely you pay a monthly contract that includes the phone) and that's that. The scenario is so opaque that you might as well say iOS is free too.

Edit: And Windows Phone for that matter. I should have included it as well as iOS as the exact same scenario applies, but almost forgot it existed.

Thanks
    • Lord Midas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 9700k w/ Corsair H100i Hydro PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 8GB x 2
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 + 2TB Intel 660p NVMe M.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RTX 2080 TURBO 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM88 Ultrawide 34" - 3440x1440
      • Internet:
      • Virgin - Speakers: Pair of Adam T5V

Whatever the reasons for the change in pricing, I had never heard of this game before. Now I've gone and downloaded it and found it to be excellent. I'd have gladly paid 79p for this game.

I will probably get an IAP just so the Dev get a little something back. They clearly invested a lot of time making this game... even if the English is chucklesomely bad on occasions

I did the same with Robotek and Radient Defense, both of which I bough IAP (as the game was free to start with).

Plus, my gripe is with those who are whining about "losing" 79p. They should be thinking "good for me for supporting a very good developer".
    Kickstarters Pledged:
    Godus Stonehearth Rain World Satellite Reign

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Midas View Post
    Whatever the reasons for the change in pricing, I had never heard of this game before. Now I've gone and downloaded it and found it to be excellent. I'd have gladly paid 79p for this game.
    I heard about it on an Android podcast - think it was one of the Android Central ones actually. Personally I think the sub-£1 price was a mistake - I would have been quite happy to pay £2-3, (although if it subsequently went freeware then I'd have been a bit miffed).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Midas View Post
    I will probably get an IAP just so the Dev get a little something back. They clearly invested a lot of time making this game... even if the English is chucklesomely bad on occasions
    Likewise, I'll probably also do an IAP or two - just as long as they're not "taking the pi**" - e.g. someone else was saying that they'd heard a Saiga-style shotgun was $2 by itself, (I've not checked!). Personally speaking if it costs more than $30 to buy all the DLC then it's overpriced.

As you rightly say - if smartphones and tablets are the new games machines, then we MUST encourage good developers to develop for our platform(s) of choice. I've already bought stuff from the TegraZone in the past, and probably would have continued to do so, but for the fact that most "good" content seems to be T3 only these days.

Have you managed to get stuck in a wall yet? I've managed that trick on at least three occasions - although I've not retried it since the recent (large!) patch.

Thanks

So don't trot out that "you're a cheapskate" nonsense - it's not the amount it's the principle!
    After careful analysis of the principles, mores and traditions involved, I conclude: you're still a cheapskate.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Malphas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-6B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 24Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by valhar2000 View Post
    After careful analysis of the principles, mores and traditions involved, I conclude: you're still a cheapskate.
    Indeed. It's the same principle as other goods anyway. e.g. You stop at a bakery on the way to work in the morning and buy a donut for £1, on the way home in the afternoon you notice the same bakery having not sold enough of the donuts during the day is trying to offload them for 10p each. Do you piss and moan about your "wasted" 90p or do you just carry on with life realising these things happen, and the price you pay for a good is liable to change due to market forces at any given time.

Thanks

You could argue the same about sideloading and you need to root to install some stuff too. Jailbreaking is (perhaps more) widely known about and trivial to do (and there are far more reasons to do that on iOS because it's so insanely restrictive). The reasons why most developers don't care is simple - cheap micro transaction style apps don't worry most people. The majority click and pay for stuff because it's zero hassle and neglible cost. I was amazed at how easy piracy was on my iPad though - apps like installous and cydia offer you pretty much everything - and ease is key. Why do you buy games on Steam, rather than via cheaper mailorder, or just pirate them? It's incredibly popular despite the apparent industry killing piracy that plagues the platform. So it's either because it's really easy (and offers some nice extras) to use or that people aren't necessarily bad or a combination of both
    The difference is that Jailbreaking has some real downsides and hassle whereas sideloading is very simple and low risk. I cannot think of a single iPhone I've seen in the last 2years that has been jailbroken. Thats from a fairly broad range of clients. I've jailbroken in the original iPhone and 3g era, but I've not seen the point for a long time. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age hehe

EDIT:

I've tried to find some hard figures on the respective scale of piracy on the two platforms. I don't think you can ever get a precise figure but this article here quoted in the article http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...an-iOS-edition Seems to suggest that piracy on this particular game is 2300% higher on android platform. I can't seem to find anyone else giving real figures. Or that of the amount of jailbroken devices in use.

I think you'd be surprised - after all all those cute little green robots are everywhere on the marketing stuff
    They wouldn't know how it works, or what it's based on etc but then why would they? Even the most technically bereft people I know with Smartphones know about "android" even if they're using exactly 1% of the phone's functionality.
    I don't think people actually see those sort of things. There is so many stickers and branding on devices that most seem to tune them out. The conversation I usually have is, oh I wanted an iPhone, but it was too much so I got this instead.

With the iPhone it's one brand and one name. Really easy for that to stick in peoples heads over a crowded market. Studies have shown many times now that consumers hate too much choice.
    Last edited by Gordy; 24-07-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

The difference is that Jailbreaking has some real downsides and hassle whereas sideloading is very simple and low risk. I cannot think of a single iPhone I've seen in the last 2years that has been jailbroken. Thats from a fairly broad range of clients. I've jailbroken in the original iPhone and 3g era, but I've not seen the point for a long time. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age hehe
    Well i'll take you at your word but I find it mind numbingly easy to do and I instantly wanted to do it because I couldn't change anything. Not sure what risks I had there but it was a single click process via the desktop so not really too bad I'd still expect people to want help with sideloading - after all it's copying files by hand etc versus well developed pirate store apps. I'm not arguing that either isn't easy just that piracy on iOS is just as rampant (and if you look for iOS apps online there stacks of hacked stuff anyway). Both are popular, go figure!

I don't think people actually see those sort of things. There is so many stickers and branding on devices that most seem to tune them out. The conversation I usually have is, oh I wanted an iPhone, but it was too much so I got this instead.
    That's reasonable but people I talk to are aware they've got 'android' - just not to any depth. It's well known in itself and well promoted.

With the iPhone it's one brand and one name. Really easy for that to stick in peoples heads over a crowded market. Studies have shown many times now that consumers hate too much choice.
    I don't dispute the power of the Apple moniker in the marketplace but I do think now people are making other choices out of either boredom with iOS or actually because they do want a bit of choice. Too much bad yeah... but Apple is sort of 'just one choice' The problem they have is sustaining absolute supremacy - each iPhone has to be amazing or people will be disappointed - and that's just not possible given how mature Android is (4.1 is wonderful) and how good some of the phones are now (SGS2 really kicked that off for me).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information