Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Features - QOTW: Will you be upgrading to Windows 8?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Andcog's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X58
      • CPU:
      • i7 950
      • Memory:
      • 6gb Corsair Dominator
      • Storage:
      • 600gb SATA 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 660Ti Superclocked 2GB
      • PSU:
      • coolermaster 1000w gold
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF-X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 1080p
      • Internet:
      • ZEN fibre optic at 60mbps

Re: Features - QOTW: Will you be upgrading to Windows 8?

it really does not matter to me that i had to spend a couple of quid to have a start menu to be honest. there are free choices out there too. im on everybody's side here that the start menu should be included in windows but its an easy cheap fix. Besides i dont think i have actually used the start menu anyway. device manager and other control panel options is right click bottom left on windows 8. It might not have a start menu but once you start using 8 you find its not actually that important.

There are negatives like every other product on the market and to me there is so many good features that the bad just do not ruin the experience. I dont have an SSD yet too so the boost in speed is very nice.

You had to install third party products for pretty much everything on windows 7 so i don't understand the arguments some people have. Annoying but not a reason to hate it.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Andcog View Post
    You had to install third party products for pretty much everything on windows 7 so i don't understand the arguments some people have.
    You don't *have* to pay for and install third party products for a *lot* of software. For example, you don't *have* to buy a 3rd party file manager, or a web browser, or a media player, or a whole heap of codecs, or a text editor, or a calculator, or printing support, or multitasking support, or multi-user handling, or multi-threading support. These are rudimentary features which are bundled with the OS so it has at least a basic standard of tools and usability most people will find useful and get by with for those jobs, that line of what people expect their basic OS comes with always changes, but the more core the feature is to the OS (program finder/starter in this case, is very core), the more likely its loss will irk people, and so less likely it's going to get cut out. When you *must* start buying *core* OS utilities because it was intentionally cut out of the OS for executive ambition, that's a serious software regression and annoys people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Andcog's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X58
      • CPU:
      • i7 950
      • Memory:
      • 6gb Corsair Dominator
      • Storage:
      • 600gb SATA 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 660Ti Superclocked 2GB
      • PSU:
      • coolermaster 1000w gold
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF-X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 1080p
      • Internet:
      • ZEN fibre optic at 60mbps

Im not disagreeing with you at all, if i didnt have the opportunity to test windows 8 at work then i probably would not have bought windows 8 for a while because it had no start menu and i agree you should not have to install a 3rd party product for something like the start menu but the more you use 8 the more you see that there are other ways to access the features which i feel are much easier than via start menu on 7.

If you right click at the bottom left of the screen on windows 8 start then you have device manager, control panel, power option, run, search, disk management etc. so the reason i use the start menu except opening applications or files are so much simpler to access than windows 7. The more you use 8 the more you see that its actually not as shocking as you first thought and the features are there in a way but its not the way you know.

Its a steep learning curve and it is frustrating but everything has to change at some point, not happy that the most recognised feature of windows imo has been removed but its easily worked around if you need it.

Classic shell is another good alternative if you need the start menu and its free.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

I was playing about with it on laptops at my local JL store where you use trackpad. Didn't like it... I think with touch monitor it might have been a different experience.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread Information