Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: News - Judge dismayed by Apple’s begrudging apology to Samsung

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Judge dismayed by Apple’s begrudging apology to Samsung

Quote Originally Posted by RETIREDBARRISTER View Post
    As a retired attorney, I laugh at this as totally asinine, arrogant behavior on the part of this Judge. Apple complied word-for-word with his order as to what was to be published. Then freedom of speech applies. The Judge has NO business prohibiting Apple from directly quoting from the Judge's comments in explaining his decision! Nor has he the authority to prohibit Apple from telling its customers and shareholders what other courts in other countries have ruled. Another Little Lord Fauntleroy in the court system!
    Are you secretly Judge Lucy Koh?

Thanks
    • dcwt2010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k @ 4.0GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 96GB SSD Kingston V100+, 1TB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2GB 660 ti Palit Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24in
      • Internet:
      • Virginmedia 30Mbs

As a retired attorney, I laugh at this as totally asinine, arrogant behavior on the part of this Judge. Apple complied word-for-word with his order as to what was to be published. Then freedom of speech applies. The Judge has NO business prohibiting Apple from directly quoting from the Judge's comments in explaining his decision! Nor has he the authority to prohibit Apple from telling its customers and shareholders what other courts in other countries have ruled. Another Little Lord Fauntleroy in the court system!
    The whole point of the court order is to clear up the confusion. By adding all the other paragraphs they're effectively nullifying what the court order says which is to clear up the fact that Samsung did not copy the iPad. This was put succinctly in the first paragraph on Apple's statement, so why add more?

If you're a retired Attorney then I'm sure you can tell us how you'd have won this court case, right?

Thanks
    • davesom555's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2600@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME + multiple 2.5" SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 700w
      • Case:
      • NZXT H400i mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 27" QHD 144mhz
      • Internet:
      • 200mb

Did you read what they posted? I felt that there was an underlying hint of cynicism and perhaps even mockery of the court's decision. In this respect I think that the judge made the right decision to reprimand them. The company seems to be acting as if they were a 7 year old who's been told to stand in the corner.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by bobfoc View Post
    Are you secretly Judge Lucy Koh?
    Reads more like a PR bot doing damage control.

The added backhanders hardly makes amends for Apple's vicious spurious global assault on Samsung's reputation. That was the whole point of the order, and it was abundantly clear that's what the Judge expected from them. They didn't even need to make a formal apology either (but they should have), just state Samsung didn't copy the iPad and link to the judgement. The rest of that fluff just goes and completely undoes any trivial effect the prior statement made towards clearing Samsung's name.

Unfortunately ethical standards have little place in the corporate hierarchy, and apparently legal departments in particular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Maybe the delay is Apple filing the paperwork against HM Courts because they have a letter from the US Patent Office that says they're right....

I just can't stop the image of Apple with their lower lip wobbling about!

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

6. Received thanks from:

mikerr (04-11-2012)

Thanks
    • mark22's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z68 extreme4
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k @4.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC16000
      • Storage:
      • Crucial C300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 6950 oc
      • PSU:
      • Antec truepower
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" LED

Quote Originally Posted by ajones View Post
    I just can't stop the image of Apple with their lower lip wobbling about!
    Haha, now me too.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by davesom555 View Post
    Did you read what they posted? I felt that there was an underlying hint of cynicism and perhaps even mockery of the court's decision. In this respect I think that the judge made the right decision to reprimand them. The company seems to be acting as if they were a 7 year old who's been told to stand in the corner.
    Put it this way - I wouldn't hire him as my representation - that's terrible advice. All Apple had to do was post a simple paragraph - it wasn't particularly damning to them and it wouldn't of caused much harm (or get noticed for the most part) - instead they've deliberately taken the pee out of the court and now they're left with a more prominent notice and heap of bad press showing how childish they were.

Interesting to note he registered just to post that comment though..
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

American or British attorney?

10. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (02-11-2012),Hicks12 (02-11-2012),MaddAussie (02-11-2012)

Thanks

Planet Apple. Must be a wonderful place to live

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Haha sometimes the arrogance of Apple is just shocking, embodied in a person it would be one of those smug tosspots that everyone just feels like hitting with a spade.

All these legal stuff is really starting to harm the company image now, they need to put a hold on some of this and just start to compete fairly. Good products win sales not a court judgements about copying the (dubious) looks, it's blatant malicious litigation and so school playground ("miss judge he copied me..."). FFS apart from the colourful Nokia Windows phones nearly all smartphones and tablets are broadly the same shape, size and design.

Patents and design rights are there to protect genuine innovations, black/silver rectangular devices with rounded edges does not qualify. See old Nokia phones, monitors, TVs, microwave doors...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Patents and design rights are there to protect genuine innovations, black/silver rectangular devices with rounded edges does not qualify. See old Nokia phones, monitors, TVs, microwave doors...
    But you've just described Apple's entire patent portfolio. I'm also sure that they include patents for dexterous touch sensitive devices used to transfer input commands onto a generic touch sensitive screen…. Hang on, that’s a “finger”…

backup:

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Judge Robin Jacob said, regarding Apple’s appended published statement “I’m at a loss that a company such as Apple would do this. That is a plain breach of the order.”
    Well in that case m'lud grow a pair and slap them with a contempt of court fine! Meanwhile the rest of us will be gasping for breath (with laughter). And why have Apple done this? Easy, based on their actions they seem to think that they've got a god-given right to do what the heck they like, in whatever way they like. I'm personally saddened that a great company (as Apple were) have fallen so far.
    Apple requested 14 days in which to make the changes to its website. This delay has been rejected by the judges who said today that “I would like to see the head of Apple make an affidavit setting out the technical difficulties which means Apple can’t put this on” to its website within 24 hours, said Judge Jacob, “This is Apple. They cannot put something on their website?
    14 days to update a single page - what the **** are they using to do their website? Emacs compiled each time they use it? Seriously, if Apple need that amount of time to make a simple update then there's no hope for them. More likely that they wanted time to similarly "clarify" the statement by running it through the Legal/PR Newspeak generator...
    Quote Originally Posted by shamus087 View Post
    Here in the US I see a lot of hate going towards Judge Lucy Koh, her ruling and handling of the case clearly indicates she's getting her pockets lined with cash.
    In that case the posters are ignoramuses - informed opinion is that LK was pretty impartial, (c.f. her "are you on crack?" comment to the Apple legal sharks), but rushed through the trial as soon as was feasible - I saw one article saying that she's a "9 to 5 judge" - does her 8 hours and then wants to get home to her family. Pretty reasonable attitude in that case. No, my objections to that trial are more to do with the amount awarded and that dammed patent troll in the jury, Samsung should have got that turkey whipped straight out!
    As a retired attorney, I laugh at this as totally asinine, arrogant behavior on the part of this Judge. Apple complied word-for-word with his order as to what was to be published. Then freedom of speech applies. The Judge has NO business prohibiting Apple from directly quoting from the Judge's comments in explaining his decision!
    Far be it from me to argue with an "attorney" - especially one who hasn't mastered the caps lock - but the reports I've read said that the judgement handed down was pretty specific about the apology that had to be printed. And doing it the way that Apple UK did was pretty close in my book to contempt - a non-apologetic apology, (and you notice that they carefully avoided that the Samsung award in the US is still under appeal - although most commentators seem to think that Apple were probably correct in that one case - but the award was excessive).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Give them 500 lashes too I think!

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

They can quote from the judge's comments, that is fine. But they should do so in a separate article so as not to detract from the apology.

Thanks

have they completely removed the appology, because i cant find the original link on the home page?

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by tealsteam View Post
    have they completely removed the appology, because i cant find the original link on the home page?
    For the moment it looks like they have yes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information