Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Features - QOTW: How would you change Windows 8?

Thanks

Re: Features - QOTW: How would you change Windows 8?

Enable Modern UI apps to load on the side-bar by default. Enable web-browser links within Mail app to load on desktop browser. Improve apps to match feature-sets of desktop equivalents (remove any reason one would run both).

Advertise the keyboard shortcuts!

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

As mentioned a clear desktop or metro choice would be nice.

I will say using classic shell it does have programs and apps as separate things in the start menu so it clearly can work.

Registered+
    Thanks

Make us count! Make us easy to:

- Have option to create our own OS look (WE create/determine how OUR Windows look like) by drag-drop
    - Option to scrap things we don't want; down to those elusive things like SERVICES, etc. without complexities of one service connects to other applications.
    - Get rid of those registry, revise your method and start using sandbox approach.
    - No more excuse for rebooting after driver install, fail plug&play etc. As a matter of fact, get rid of those drivers! If I want to install something it's the application for using the hardware. Drivers aren't our business, applications are.
    - And why do I still need to click on "Eject portable harddisk" and not simply plug it out?

Registered+
    Thanks

Allow the user to uninstall Metro/Modern UI, not just disable it. It has no place in the corporate world, and live tiles are utterly pointless as they will always be hidden by applications like Excel, Word, Outlook.

Modern UI hinders productivity, which is the exact opposite of what a good OS should do - its should just allow the user to run applications efficiently.

Also the hidden charm menus have no visual pointers to their existence, so many people will only find them accidentally. Anticipate many thousands of hours of wasted technical support on this issue.
    2001 Porsche 996 Carrera S Cabriolet

Thanks
    • alpha channel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 3900X
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (16GBx4) 3200MHz Corsair Vengance
      • Storage:
      • 6.25TB (Seagate x2+1TBx2 Sabrent Rocket nVME PCIe 4+3, 240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD as cache)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster SL600M black
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP LP2475w, Samsung 215tw & Samsung 941BW
      • Internet:
      • 32Mb/s

Like most give the user the choice between MUI or a more traditional desktop and all that includes.

Registered+
    Thanks

No start menu, good job MS don't make cars, they would probably think wheels are "old tech" and leave them off!

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

I'd like the option to make live tiles persistent so they can be seen on a second monitor while in a fullscreen application/program on the main monitor, no use being a live tile if you are out of site. Similarly I'd like to be able to dock the start screen to a monitor of my choosing and prevent it from hiding allowing me to have a second screen dedicated to launching apps and displaying up to date information.

Basically I'd like the desktop to remain my primary place of work but would like to make it more flexible so I can customise it to suit my needs, essentially a better supported version of Rainmeter built into Windows. "Metro"/Modern UI has the ability to do that for desktop systems so I really hope Microsoft provide users with that flexibility in future versions on Windows.

Thanks

Modern UI frankly looks like my websites (or indeed many others) if I disable background images with tools like 'Pendule'. It looks raw, basic, and under-designed. It is not a design trend, regardless of what their aggressive advertising might suggest, it's what web designers call 'layout testing mode'. It is, at best, a half-baked design and it wouldn't sell to any of my clients, not even the smallest companies among them. This might be OK for a few months while it's 'new and trendy', and there's enough of marketing bombardment brainwashing us into believing it's actually usable, but people will tire of it quickly, noticing it gets confusing searching for the sought-after tile by colour only. It isn't really a 'functional design' either, not clearly displaying what areas of certain tiles do what exactly, and I read many complaints regarding exactly this. I expect Microsoft to eventually introduce alpha channel rendered tile backgrounds that change their particular areas on tile 'hover' events, same as in HTML with CSS. Problem is, you can only design for one single 'border background' colour, baked in these alpha rendered background images, when all the tiles already have their background colour set with no margins between them (just the padding within individual tiles). That would be OK for another few months, then us punters will demand to be able to change the Modern UI background as well, or even display it partially transparent when not active, so we can actually have our own desktop backgrounds, like we did... since Win 95? This is when it becomes interesting, as the only way MS can pull that off is to either render backgrounds programmatically, introducing additional lag to rendering tiles, which is probably unacceptable considering it now renders really well and is quite responsive, or alternatively, MS pulls one out of their hats by finally supporting rendering functions other major browsers did what it seems eons ago. It would be interesting to see which way they decide to go. Fingers crossed for the latter. They might also introduce the possibility to display Modern UI as an active desktop background, with the ability to resize it as we see fit, something they were doing since XP. Pretty much the only thing they'd need to do to support this is to remove the forced handling of executables by the Modern UI front (by setting the opener handle to the desktop instead of Modern UI) when called by other programs, system itself, or a 'null' caller, and display Modern UI back on top when its feature or Modern UI only executable is called (shortcut parameters?). All the rest is already supported in Windows since XP. It's simple enough to implement, it would put all our major concerns to rest, and they could even call it 'Windows 9' and ask us to upgrade to be able to use these 'new' features. I certainly won't be upgrading any sooner than that! Cheers!
    Last edited by howdee; 03-11-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling

9. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (04-11-2012),Phage (05-11-2012),Pleiades (03-11-2012)

Thanks
    • ladcrooks's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE EX58-UDR3
      • CPU:
      • i7920 @ 3.4ghz - NOCTUA SE1366 NH-U12P
      • Memory:
      • Patriot Viper 6GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 7970 OC WindForce
      • PSU:
      • SEASONIC M12D 750W QUAD GFX
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B10
      • Operating System:
      • win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32'' LGTV 1080p

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    Tell everyone Windows 8 is a hoax and it's actually Windows 7 SP3
    so far - 2 threads today have had me chuckling! ha! ha!

Thanks

Right now I'd have it not keep corrupting files and generally failing on my system. I'm quite annoyed as it's less stable than the RP on the same system. Back to win7 in the meantime.

As for when using it, the desktop is fantastic, just the right amount of updated features to feel familiar and to enhance the experience. I'm actually missing the features having had to go back to 7.

The Metro side of things is just too schizophrenic, there are frustrating things like right clicking apps etc doesn't bring up a contextual menu at the cursor, instead it gives options on a base bar (like a metro taskbar), so it's more distance to move to get things done.

I spent less than 5% of my time in the start screen though so it didn't really bother me.

Now just going to wait for SP1 before going back.

Thanks

Unlike Windows 7, I never bothered trying Windows the RC of Windows 8, because unlike ME2.. sorry, Vista, Windows 7 played nice with me so I am not in a hurry to jump ship. So I haven't got the faintest clue what the new UI is like or why people dislike it. That said, I never bother changing OS when I get a new laptop, thinking that it's a good chance to get used to something new (hopefully more secure), so if the next laptop I get end up with Windows 9, so be it. Still, I may not *need* a new laptop for another two years, and will probably postpone to Windows 9 if there is any sign that it's release is imminent.

Registered+
    Thanks

Simple option between; Desktop mode, Metro mode or both. Most would choose Desktop I expect.

Thanks
    • MrNeil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z490 VISION G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 10700KF
      • Memory:
      • 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • x2 Kingston 240GB HyperX SSDWD + 480gig evo 500GB Caviar Blue Hard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 850W EVGA SuperNOVA G2,
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Window 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC G2770PF 144Hz and a HP 27hq
      • Internet:
      • TalkyTalk 76mb

uninstall it !

Thanks
    • noname98's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 660 ti Power Edition
      • PSU:
      • CX600
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 & Mountain Lion
      • Internet:
      • 60Mb Down 6Mb Up

Being able to use Metro (Modern UI) apps in the desktop and vice-versa would be great, also having an option so that when you press start it only brings up search akin to a "snapped" app and it would only open the start screen when you hovered over it/click on it, search is the only useful function of the start menu, but the main thing would be a power button in the corner of the start menu. These are all simple things to implement(maybe not metro apps in desktop mode) and it would be easy to make it an option. I prefer the new metro/modern UI to the old, it is far faster to use and looks great, Aero will be missed but it was a necessary sacrifice to make it suitable for tablets.

Thanks
    • fail_quail's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X570M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
      • Storage:
      • 512GB NVME SSD x2, 320GB SATA SSHD, 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD RX580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • corsair carbide 88r
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell WFP 2408 + cheap 22" LG monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100meg Virgin cable

QOTW: How would you change Windows 8?

2 November 2012, 16:30

Besides putting the Start menu back in.
    Hate to ignore the thread main post, but the UI [IS] the problem :/

I'd be very happy with win8 if they hadn't taken features i use a lot away (gadgets+aero gone, start menu only partially replaceable). Even if said features could be re-enabled via obscure downloads or registry edits it would be fine...
    It's the enforced removal whether you like it or not that really grates...

At the moment we have a one step forwards*, two steps back** OS, i'm not willingly going to switch to an OS downgrade...

I'm a MS Technet subscriber, so the win8 upgrade cost is not an issue at all, i've already got win8 keys :/

* = The base OS improvements
    ** = The UI 'improvements'

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by fail_quail View Post
    ... Even if said features could be re-enabled via obscure downloads or registry edits it would be fine...
    You can replace gadgets with Rainmeter; dangel mentioned it to me as an alternative to gadgets and I've been trying to find the perfect skins ever since, so far I've replaced the most used gadgets of mine and added some new ones and have to say it looks so much better. I am more comfortable now knowing that I have a customisable desktop whether Microsoft provide it or not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information