Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)
    Too late. Besides I already have about 75 blank DVD R disks and these are much cheaper than a 4gb USB key.

Installation is now complete so I might need a bit of time to get used to it. But already like how I get metro on my main screen and the legacy Windows desktop on my second screen as the default setting.

Splash

Re: News - Windows 8 promotional pricing will end on 1st February

Quote Originally Posted by floppybootstomp View Post
    Then there was Vista, that was good wasn't it?
    Yes. Yes it was. It just took a bad rap because it forced developers to write software that behaved properly and ran without unnecessary privileges and the likes of The Register blamed this on the OS rather than the naughty devs. Once devs had fixed their shonky software it worked fine on Win7. Win8 introduces a new shell which again people are hating yet I can almost guarantee that the next iteration will have a similar shell and people will love it.

People as a general rule fear change is all.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    People as a general rule fear change is all.
    Not really as it depends on the change!

You make the wrong assumption that all change is there for the benefit of the end user,and not for the people who are selling you the service, product or path.

The Corsair CX430W was inferior to the CX400W but sold for the same price. Was the change better then??

I assume you don't mind paying higher prices on the train??

Are newer mobile data plans with lower data caps better than older ones with higher data caps??

Are all new government policies better than old government policies for example??

Making the assumption everything that is newer is equal to better,and everything older is worse is a false notion. Things should not be judged on newness but on their usefulness,otherwise you become a very easy target for marketing and PR departments.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 22-01-2013 at 07:04 PM.

4. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (23-01-2013),Noxvayl (22-01-2013),Saracen (23-01-2013),watercooled (22-01-2013)

Thanks

I agree I don't think Vista was as bad as a lot of people were making out, and about developers complaining for reasons Splash mentioned - I originally tried it apprehensively, but quickly realised it improved a lot of things over XP. However, I think UAC was too in-your-face for a lot of people, so it ended up having the opposite effect of what it was intended for because of idiot 'experts' posting guides on every other website about how to disable it. Windows 7 fixed that problem, and most of the other annoyances with Vista IMHO.

However I don't feel the same about 8 - I tried the various trial versions and simply didn't like it. I'm not 'stuck in the past' for not wanting to use a UI which simply doesn't suit my usage model as well as 7, and I'm tired of seeing condescending comments calling people Luddites or whatever for not wanting to inconvenience themselves with a pointless upgrade/downgrade.

As above, PR are the ones claiming it's all better/shiny/new, it's up to individual users to think for themselves and decide whether it will be useful to them or not.

For £25 though, it might be worth having in case 7-8-9 is cheaper than 7-9, and for the longer support period than 7.

6. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (23-01-2013)

Registered+
    Thanks

The reasons people have as to why windows 8 is so much worse than 7 are just silly. If you actually use the traditional way (through the charms menu) to shut down your computer then I guess you've never used shortcuts in your life. Speaking of the charms menu, you can disable it while in desktop mode, as well as skip metro on start up, AND get back the original start menu, all with classic shell. But if you insist on keeping the start screen, you'll find that you rarely use it anyway except for opening infrequently used programs. Besides all of that, 8 is just fundamentally better whether you want to accept it or not: less memory/CPU usage, faster start up (although with an ssd it probably won't matter), better file explorer, better task manager, etc. And I guess this is an obvious one but it will be supported for longer than any of the other OSes. Of course 7 is still fine if you don't want to pay for a new OS but if you can get it for free like I did then you'd be stupid not to upgrade.

Splash

@CAT - I thins referring more to the "I hate ModernUI" types which seem to be the main complaints. People had the same complaints (and stated roughly the same arguments about reduced "productivity" (which seems to essentially mean "I have to get used look to a new way of doing stuff") when the Ribbon interface was introduced to Office. Looked at from the point of view of someone who wasn't stuck in the mindset of a specific way of doing things then this seems to be the case. Looked at with a pair of fresh eyes (and I always try to use my family to test this as none of them are in any way tech savvy) both Ribbon and Modern UI seem to be easier to use *so long as you're prepared to give it a chance, rather than insist on making it look like what you're used to* in the long run.

From a techy point of view there's so much goodness in Win8 from a management perspective it was an absolute no-brainer for me to pay £25 to upgrade my desktop, laptop, the missus' laptop as well as 3 other PCs in the family. I just think that there's been so much bad press around ModernUI that people haven't given the OS a fair crack of the whip. Microsoft PR aren't particularly great at selling Windows to the target demographic of places like Hexus - they need to be pushing at the people buying their kit from PC World etc to get the bigger sales however I strongly believe that it's the techy that has the most to gain from a £25 upgrade to their latest OS. And you only have a week to go to grab it at that price.

9. Received thanks from:

KeyboardDemon (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I disagree. I've tolerated all kinds of interface changes, such as Ubuntu Unity. I've been using Unity for a year now I reckon - I'm used to it, but I still don't really like it.

Office 2007 was an amazing leap forward. It actually makes it obvious how you're supposed to use Office, correctly classifying and formatting your document; using the tools of the word processor rather than reformatting everything by hand. Office 2007+ is great, although my endorsement is somewhat hollow as it's not installed on the machine I'm on right now, and I'm currently writing a paper in LaTeX.
    That weird - 180 degrees from my views. Like I said, I hated the original versions of Unity, but the 12.04LTS one is actually usable (and most of the time I'm logged into my Ubuntu box via NX - so no fancy effects for me). Only problem I still have is that it's sometimes difficult to tell which of the windows I have open I'll get if I click the index/overview.

On the other hand I get to use Office 2010 (Word, Excel, Outlook), that latest incarnation of the Office 2007 "improved UI" and it still gets me angry enough that I'd be happy to pay £400-500 just to be able to go over to Redmond and smack the UI design team lead in the mouth. It's one of the few things that gets me angry enough to almost throw my (much liked) Logitech K800 keyboard. It doesn't help of course that this "marvellous" new interface seems to enjoy freezing on me for seconds at a time.

Similar deal for Windows8. I can see parts of the interface that I like - the tiles interface is a nice way to see news headlines etc. I don't see the much-touted file handling improvements - e.g. copying files from a USB key the other day and it was slower than a Windows7 box. And then - as stated above - there's the "interesting" choices for accessing some of the essential features. But I still think that MUI-v2 may be well worth taking a punt on - roll on the availability of the Dev Preview of Windows9!
    Last edited by crossy; 23-01-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

@CAT - I thins referring more to the "I hate ModernUI" types which seem to be the main complaints. People had the same complaints (and stated roughly the same arguments about reduced "productivity" (which seems to essentially mean "I have to get used look to a new way of doing stuff") when the Ribbon interface was introduced to Office. Looked at from the point of view of someone who wasn't stuck in the mindset of a specific way of doing things then this seems to be the case. Looked at with a pair of fresh eyes (and I always try to use my family to test this as none of them are in any way tech savvy) both Ribbon and Modern UI seem to be easier to use *so long as you're prepared to give it a chance, rather than insist on making it look like what you're used to* in the long run.

I think you're stuck in the mindset that people that don't like Metro (whatever we call it) don't like change.

I don't like the w8 UI, because it seeks to force me to work in a new way, with no gain to me. If W8 had an option on install to select new UI or Classic, that would solve my problem. I'd simply select classic and forget Modern. Then, I could simply judge on other factors.

But no, MS chose to try to shove "modern" down our throats for what I can only assume is their own strategic purposes.

But here's the thing. I was warned off of upgrading Office because of the ribbon UI. I tried it anyway, and immediately liked the principle. Sure, it took a little time to get fully used to it, but overall, once acclimatised, I find it far more productive, because far more of the time, what I want is right there waiting for me when I want it. Ribbon is, IMHO, a massive improvement.

Metro is a pain in the butt, as far as I'm concerned, and isn't about helping me get what I'm doing done better (like Ribbon), it's about MS getting me (and I obviously mean users, not just me personally) to change how we work, jump through their hoops, to suit their purposes.

It is not safe to assume either that those that don't like the W8 interface either necessarily don't like Ribbon, or just don't like change. It's quite possible that they just don't like the W8 UI, or don't like getting the pain without, for them, any corresponding gain.

12. Received thanks from:

Agent (23-01-2013),aidanjt (23-01-2013),crossy (24-01-2013),Noxvayl (23-01-2013),watercooled (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Win8 doesn't force you to use to Metro at all.

Starting up in Metro is functionally no different to Win7 launching with the start menu already open.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willzzz View Post

Starting up in Metro is functionally no different to Win7 launching with the start menu already open.
    That's right.

I don't use Metro at all!

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

So why can't I boot straight to the conventional desktop, without resorting to third-party apps like Start8? By my definition, that's forcing me to use MUI

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quite so.

Willzzz, I didn't say W8 forcds you to use Metro. I said it seeks to force you to use it. Yes, you can get round it, bring back the start button, get a conventional desktop interfsce, etc.

But please tell me where the option is to turn all the new UI crap off and carry on using Win8 exactly the same way I use Win7? Or do I have to rely on downloading 3rd party utilities? Because unless MS provide an easy and well-documented way to ignore Metro and use my PC how I want to use it, then they're seeking to force us to change.

So where's the "disable Metro" or "Use Windows 7 interface" option or dialog box, please?

17. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

We've been here before, it's all a matter of how you approach it.

Yes by default it shows Metro, but if you just treat it as a start menu then it is no different to other versions of windows.
    You click the icon, it opens the program, it's completely intuitive for any windows user.

If you want to disable Metro all you have to do is delete any short-cuts to metro programs.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

We've been here before, it's all a matter of how you approach it.

Yes by default it shows Metro, but if you just treat it as a start menu then it is no different to other versions of windows.
    You click the icon, it opens the program, it's completely intuitive for any windows user.

If you want to disable Metro all you have to do is delete any short-cuts to metro programs.
    And Metro is then disabled and the full Win 7 interface is back?

Charm gone, hotspots gone, Metro completely off, W7 start menu back?

Riiiiight.

20. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

From a techy point of view there's so much goodness in Win8 from a management perspective it was an absolute no-brainer for me to pay £25 to upgrade my desktop, laptop, the missus' laptop as well as 3 other PCs in the family. I just think that there's been so much bad press around ModernUI that people haven't given the OS a fair crack of the whip. Microsoft PR aren't particularly great at selling Windows to the target demographic of places like Hexus - they need to be pushing at the people buying their kit from PC World etc to get the bigger sales however I strongly believe that it's the techy that has the most to gain from a £25 upgrade to their latest OS. And you only have a week to go to grab it at that price.
    Eastenders is one of the highest rated TV shows in the UK and anyone who does not like,is just complaining for complaints sake!

The iPad is the biggest selling tablet and anyone who does not like,is just complaining for complaints sake!

You are falling into the trap I mentioned before. Just because something suits you 100% does mean it suits someone else at all,and how useful something is dependent on the person. There are people I know who would rather type commands than use their mouse to click on things and others who hate typing but prefer clicking,etc.

Moreover,people have a right to complain and to give feedback,and that is the only way companies can gauge what changes are required for future products.

The fact that devices with iOS,Android,OS X and other forms of Linux make a decent proportion of computing devices used by the general public, and this indicates that the Windows interface is not necessarily considered the best UI by everyone anyway. So,I don't understand the logic that MUI is free from any criticism and the same goes with any UI.

It also does not mean that if someone does not like Windows 8 MUI,they hate the newer MS Office interfaces,etc.

On top of this people have been mucking around with the basic UI of Windows for a long time and this is why so many third party packages exist. Hence it even baffles me even further, especially on a tech forum, that people have issues with others if they want to tweak the Windows 8 UI to suit their usage patterns.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 23-01-2013 at 03:52 PM.

22. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (23-01-2013),Noxvayl (23-01-2013),watercooled (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And Metro is then disabled and the full Win 7 interface is back?

Charm gone, hotspots gone, Metro completely off, W7 start menu back?

Riiiiight.
    I'm not sure what the problem are with using Metro as a start menu replacement? What are the actual difficulties here?

I don't really see the problem with charms either, I'm sure Win95 used to have pop-up menus docked to the side didn't it?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information