Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - BlackBerry Z10 smartphone sells like hot cakes?

Thanks

Re: News - BlackBerry Z10 smartphone sells like hot cakes?

But the business types have already defected as far as I can see because of the various problems with the platform over the past 2 years. I know we're hearing a positive spin on things, but I still see very few people who actually have a blackberry in hand and are using it on the train or round and about whereas before plenty of people did. I now see iphone 4(s) and Galaxy S3 in action mostly
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I am surprised it's doing so well so far..really surprised.

BBOS10 is great - I love it and how it's evolved from PlayBookOS into something better..it's a joy to use once you get used to having no buttons..BUT

1) There are still not enough apps out there - it takes 5 minutes (or less!) in most cases to convert your android app to work on BBOS10, but hundreds of thousands have not yet been converted..some big big names missing. Above anything else, this is what will kill the platform stone dead if it doesn't change.

2) This is a shock - the handset itself is just crap. It's huge, looks+feels cheap in reality, and is slow slow slow..I know how fast BBOS10 is on an emulator. I know how fast PBOS (which is mostly the same) runs on a playbook...but on the Z10 it's just slow. For example, tap on "compose message" and wait 1-2 seconds before you can start typing. on iOS, or even on some of the top end android phones..its instantaneous.

I held off buying a personal iPhone 5 to wait for this - but it looks like I will be waiting again for the Z20 or similar - the Z10 is not a high end device..

This phone is priced at around £480 but feels like it should be £200 - the cheap as chips £280 nexus 4 is a MUCH better piece of hardware to use, even if it's hampered (in my view) by being stuck on Android.

Good try blackberry but unless a high end (read: not cheap plastic and fast enough to cope with basic tasks) phone appears in the next 12 months, I doubt they will have a success on their hands

Thanks
    • Jedibeeftrix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99 SLI-Plus
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820k
      • Memory:
      • 4x 4GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB (SSD) 2TB (7200rpm) 2TB (5900rpm)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Lightning 7970
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 750W Gold
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT05
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Dell 2405FPW

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post

This phone is priced at around £480 but feels like it should be £200 - the cheap as chips £280 nexus 4 is a MUCH better piece of hardware to use, even if it's hampered (in my view) by being stuck on Android.
    110%.
    5820k / 16GB DDR4 2400 / MSI X99 SLI Plus / Asus Strix Vega64 / AOC 32"

Thanks

I've been playing about with the Z10 on and off for a couple of days and I'm still not used to it. The OS is so different to OS 7 and the lack of physical button to get back to the home screen is taking some getting used to.

It's ok though I suppose, the on screen keyboard is pretty good and I prefer it to the one on my iPhone 5 but I do still prefer the physical keyboard I have on my Bold 9790.

As a phone it's ok, it doesn't seem to hold the mobile signal as well as the Bold but calls seem clearer. The screen is pretty good, not as good as the iPhone but not far off.

BES is an issue though. The company runs Exchange and Lotus Domino (ick) and it's easy to hook the Z10 into ActiveSync on the Exchange side but I don't want that, I want to use BES. BES 10 is required for the Z10 but BES 10 only supports OS 10 devices so the older devices can't use it. That's a pain.

The killer though is that BES 10 for Domino requires IBM Traveller v9 which in turn necessitates Domino v9 which isn't available yet. Even if it were available though it isn't trivial to upgrade Domino and I can't see me wanting to do it just to continue using Blackberries.

So the conclusion is that we'll phase out Blackberries for the Exchange and Domino users and replace with iPhones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information