Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
Yeah I can see the advantage of image stabilisation in many situations. However it invariably adds bulk, which seems a touchy subject in phones
Always did bug me that Canon relies on lens stabilisation - granted, they do seem to get slightly better results on the stabilised lenses compared to stabilised sensors - but having to shell out often near twice as much for stabilised lenses vs being able to stabilise all lenses in your collection for free stings a bit.
It adds bulk, but also something else to go wrong, easily broken in assembly, could be broken by G force etc. There are lots of downsides to optical stablisation, lots!

The argument for lens stablisaiton is bollocks, it can't really be shown to be better in lens, unless its very specific to a lens, in which case the in body could potentially be tuned. Having played with it myself on my sigma 150-500mm, which has two OIS profiles, and I've the option of in-body, I can conclude that actually there is little between them, they all work really rather well, and have certain types of use that each works best. (OIS 2 for hand held above 200mm, in body for below or on tripod panning.... for me.).