Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Mozilla and Foxconn working on Firefox OS tablet

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: News - Mozilla and Foxconn working on Firefox OS tablet

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    .... so a keyboardless one is the same price as an equivalent Galaxy Tab (£249). Now at that price I'd argue that they're very, very tempting.
    Well, I paid £199 for Tab a few months back, and there was a £50 rebate from Samsung off even that. After VAT, it cost me about £115. Admittedly, it's the 16GB version, but still ....

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post

I'm half tempted to buy one of those dells for Saracen, just to see how long he keeps having MUI for. Hell why not if he's reading this; you don't like it auction it for some charity, if you do like it, donate to MSF:UK for me!
    Thanks for the thought, but I'd suggest cutting out the middle man and just donating to charity.

MUI might work fine for a tablet, but even a free tablet wouldn't induce me to try it. I'm sorted already in that department. The ONLY thing that would get me using a Win tablet is if there was some overwhelmingly good USP that I really needed, and couldn't deal with another way.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Oh indeed, don't forget the 64gb one is on dell.co.uk probably a better bet tbh.
    +1 on that - funnily enough I got an EPP (or whatever they call it now - I can't remember) bulletin with their prices. Very, very tempting. My dad's not got a tablet and would find one for iPlayer etc quite useful - so there's a temptation. And given his very light uses (web, mail and a couple of very small Office docs) an 8GB free space of the cheaper one would be enough for him, especially since there's a handy uSD slot for "secondary" storage.
    Thing is, the touch cover for the RT is really handy, just not £300 handy. I think MS need to really push the RT lower.
    I've a slight preference for Dell's dock - quite happy to have that "little netbook" look rather than "thick tablet" and keyboard comfort is a big deal for me.
    And I'll agree 200% on the pricing comment - I can't believe MS screwed it up so badly. Here's hoping that the Dell deals are something specific to them wanting to shift stock, rather than the start of a movement to ditch RT. Or better still a long-overdue "realignment" of the price - I've always thought that RT needs to be the "foot in the door" to sell folks on Window8/MUI on tablets.
    I've played with the original transformer for a couple of days, hated it.
    It appealed to me - especially with the stock Android experience. That said, the way that the cursor can leap around when typing if you leave the touchpad enabled is VERY annoying.

I'm half tempted to buy one of those dells for Saracen, just to see how long he keeps having MUI for.
    Still going to maintain that - based on experience - MUI is a deal less annoying with a touch-enabled device. To me it just feels "unnatural" with a mouse. But hey, I'm an old fogie who's apparently stuck in his ways. I'd be fascinated to see if someone else feels less hostile to MUI if it's in a touch-driven mode.

And therein lies the problem for Firefox OS tablet for me - it's not promising to be cheaper than Android, or offer any USP other than (perhaps!) not having the invasive "sell, sell, sell" that 'droid sometimes suffers from. And if Canonical get their 5**t together with Ubuntu TE then Firefox becomes even less appealing.
    Last edited by crossy; 29-05-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Thanks for the thought, but I'd suggest cutting out the middle man and just donating to charity.
    No worries, its that wonderful time of the year when I am sorting out my company finances.

I've a slight preference for Dell's dock - quite happy to have that "little netbook" look rather than "thick tablet" and keyboard comfort is a big deal for me.
    Ah you see this is the thing about the touch cover, it isn't noticeably thicker than the stock faux leather cover of my iPad2. It means I always have a keyboard and a touchpad. The latter is incredibly useful when dealing with a website that isn't tablet friendly.
    Still going to maintain that - based on experience - MUI is a deal less annoying with a touch-enabled device. To me it just feels "unnatural" with a mouse. But hey, I'm an old fogie who's apparently stuck in his ways. I'd be fascinated to see if someone else feels less hostile to MUI if it's in a touch-driven mode.
    MUI is hands down the best tablet OS I've used, it wins it for the split pain thing alone.

It is also hands down the most fugly to configure, the most bizarrely split between modern and legacy.
    And therein lies the problem for Firefox OS tablet for me - it's not promising to be cheaper than Android, or offer any USP other than (perhaps!) not having the invasive "sell, sell, sell" that 'droid sometimes suffers from. And if Canonical get their 5**t together with Ubuntu TE then Firefox becomes even less appealing.
    I always thought FireFoxOS was about breaking the AppStore model, making HTML5 more cross device. It's funny because I found the iPhone was a clear example that people don't like HTML apps, they demand native, the classic being the Tube status app. I mean jinkies, if ever there was a case for an HTML page, it's that. Yet there's an App For It!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I'm considerably less hostile to it on touch devices, though my experience of it isn't huge on touch-enabled devices. I still don't like it, but I'm far less hostile. Of course, I'm very hostile to it on desktop devices, to start with.

MUI would not be enough to stop me buying an otherwise first-choice touch device, though it would be a negative. But MUI would prevent me buying non-touch devices if I couldn't effectively bypass most of it. For Windows devices, I want conventional Windows, and have absolutely no use for MUI, and for trackpad devices like laptops, that goes with bells on. I cancelled a laptop purchase because I couldn't the machine with W7, it was Win8 or nothing. So I opted for nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information