Thread: News - AMD launches its Richland desktop APUs

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Re: News - AMD launches its Richland desktop APUs

If Hexus could review the A10-6800k and A10-6700 later this year with a Rome 2 benchmark that would be very handy. It is the only AAA PC game I'm interested in at the moment; the games the AMD have benchmarked I can get for my XBox 360. If Richland struggles with Rome 2, then I'll wait for Kaveri or if I feel like spending a bit more Broadwell + mid range graphics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    They're not bad for <£115 ish if you need a system with some graphics oomph on the cheap. Competes well with Celeron/Pentium/i3 processors but doesn't alter the balance of power as far as I can see, at any given budget if your emphasis is raw CPU performance and lower power draw then probably go Intel, if you favour more graphics orientated tasks then take the AMD. If you've got a lot more than £115 to spend on a CPU+GPU and a big case to put it in then you're looking at the wrong product...
    so which discrete card + which cpu for £115 would you suggest? that's better than this?

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    so which discrete card + which cpu for £115 would you suggest? that's better than this?
    Erm, he says it isn't bad for the price, he says if you need graphics performance at <£115 then go for AMD.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

They're not bad for <£115 ish if you need a system with some graphics oomph on the cheap. Competes well with Celeron/Pentium/i3 processors but doesn't alter the balance of power as far as I can see, at any given budget if your emphasis is raw CPU performance and lower power draw then probably go Intel, if you favour more graphics orientated tasks then take the AMD. If you've got a lot more than £115 to spend on a CPU+GPU and a big case to put it in then you're looking at the wrong product...

Mostly agree, but everyone seems to be still comparing the i3 for price. To compare, you can get a G860 and a Radeon 7750 for the same money. Yeah, there are a few multithreaded programs might benefit from the quad core APU, but not that many programs in the real world are that well multithreaded.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Do I have to requote myself with emphasis? Oh go on then...

If you've got a lot more than £115 to spend on a CPU+GPU and a big case to put it in then you're looking at the wrong product...
    APUs are pretty competitive *at their price*, you'd be daft to use one if you've got a enough money and room to play with to get a reasonable discrete card. The point is their not for higher budget systems, they're for lower budget, smaller and/or more integrated systems. You don't even have to go Intel to get better performance...

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Mostly agree, but everyone seems to be still comparing the i3 for price. To compare, you can get a G860 and a Radeon 7750 for the same money. Yeah, there are a few multithreaded programs might benefit from the quad core APU, but not that many programs in the real world are that well multithreaded.
    No there aren't but I think the multithreading offers some level of futureproofing, it shows up with zip/unzip and video encoding which an Intel chip below i3 will not compete so well on with the Hyperthreading missing.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Do I have to requote myself with emphasis? Oh go on then...

If you've got a lot more than £115 to spend on a CPU+GPU and a big case to put it in then you're looking at the wrong product...
    APUs are pretty competitive *at their price*, you'd be daft to use one if you've got a enough money and room to play with to get a reasonable discrete card. The point is their not for higher budget systems, they're for lower budget, smaller and/or more integrated systems. You don't even have to go Intel to get better performance...

No there aren't but I think the multithreading offers some level of futureproofing, it shows up with zip/unzip and video encoding which an Intel chip below i3 will not compete so well on with the Hyperthreading missing.
    Big cases ATX don't cost any more. In fact they're usually cheaper.

The Radeon 7750 gives you OpenCL acceleration anyway - for example in Handbrake. See http://techreport.com/review/23324/a...ng-on-the-pc/5

Thanks

Big cases ATX don't cost any more. In fact they're usually cheaper.

The Radeon 7750 gives you OpenCL acceleration anyway - for example in Handbrake. See http://techreport.com/review/23324/a...ng-on-the-pc/5
    For what it's worth, the x264 developers recorded fairly substantial performance gains running their accelerated encoder on an AMD A10 APU's integrated graphics.
    from your own link.

and guru3d have shown when OCL and ATX are used , the A10 6800k is faster at this encoding than an i7 IB-E

Registered+
    Thanks

Are playable frame rates in the latest games a sign that integrated graphics have massively improved, or that PC games have been stagnating in console ports for now 7 year old hardware. Maybe a little from column A and a little from column B.

At the moment IGPs are taking advantage of a long console lifespan and a limited number of PC AAA exclusives, this has helped them catch up but what's going to happen come December?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mikeybinns's system
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8150 3.6GHz 8 cores
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 HDTV 40"

I'm not sure if there is much point in laptop gaming. it's much better to get a small case PC and upgrade it to run games better

Thanks

If you dont have money for a GDDR5 card then these AMD APU's will do just fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information