Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Microsoft publishes ‘First look at Windows 8.1’ video

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft publishes ‘First look at Windows 8.1’ video

Video focuses on Modern UI tweaks. Also Windows RT 8.1 to get Outlook 2013 RT free.
    Read more.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: News - Microsoft publishes ‘First look at Windows 8.1’ video

Another platform to skip. just like Windows Me and Windows Vista

I will be keeping with 7 for a while.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Microsoft publishes ‘First look at Windows 8.1’ video

All this (And more!) should have been in Win 8... however it is a step in the right direction. Fair play to MS for jumping on feedback and producing this free(?) upgrade.
    No mention of multiscreen support for Modern UI Apps???

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

4 or 5 windows on the same screen, my god it's the future!

5. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (06-06-2013),Noxvayl (06-06-2013),Output (06-06-2013),Phage (06-06-2013),Saracen (06-06-2013)

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Harris went on to show the Windows 8.1 multitasking panes. In the mail app, looking at an email containing photos, he tapped on a photo, the PC automatically split the screen with the Photos app on one side of the screen and the mail app stayed on the left. He added “if I have a larger screen I can put two, three, even four apps on the screen at once.”
    Split screen is still not as useful as having programs in resizeable windows, you know like every other Microsoft operating system. I understand that a mobile device has no need for windows but that is a dumb reason to remove that functionality from the desktop version of the system.

It is good to see Microsoft adjusting things to improve the system but I won't be spending money on Windows 8 or 8.1.

Thanks

Re: Vista.

Be fair - unlike ME etc. Vista wasn't a bad OS. The main issues were to do with how badly the launch was handled/lack of compatible drivers etc., which made it atrocious for the first 6–9 months until things got sorted out. Thereafter it was fine but shunned due to the bad press (and bad taste left in the mouth) of anyone who had come across it before. Launching Win7 it seems they (Microsoft) learnt from that and did it 'right'. Launching Windows 8, they made it compatible but seemed to ignore all the (vociferous) feedback from the trial/prerelease users and decided that they could make the users square pegs fit into Win8's round hole if they used a big enough hammer. All of this has (once again) left a very bad impression with early adopters and people who have seen/heard about Win8 (not necessarily used it!), despite the underlying OS being pretty stable, functional, and compatible with all the Win7 software/peripherals etc.

I currently have systems running Vista (ultimate), Win7 (premium) and Win8 (pro), as well as linux (and Android on my phone ;-). Of them all, Win8 is probably my favourite and the system I use most day to day, but only after a fair bit of tinkering to make it work 'how I want'. The argument I and others have made in previous threads is, we shouldn't have to do this, or the changes we are talking about should have been options you picked during setup (not tinkering, 3rd party apps and MS playign catchup on things several months later). However, Win7 worked 'out the box', and to avoid the tinkering or messing round, it is the OS I'd recommend to most of my family/friends unless they were likely to make use of some of the additional functionality in Win8.

8. Received thanks from:

fuddam (06-06-2013),Noxvayl (06-06-2013),Saracen (06-06-2013)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl View Post
    Split screen is still not as useful as having programs in resizeable windows, you know like every other Microsoft operating system. I understand that a mobile device has no need for windows but that is a dumb reason to remove that functionality from the desktop version of the system.

It is good to see Microsoft adjusting things to improve the system but I won't be spending money on Windows 8 or 8.1.
    Automatic window management mode can be very useful providing it's optional. But by that, I mean an arbitrary number of win32 based/useful windows, having a seamless fit with each other and being able to freely resize the application grid. That would probably need virtual desktops or something to separate the various automatic window groups you might have, as well as any manual floating windows you might want. The only place MUI apps have on the desktop would be in Stardock ModernMix-like windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

My copy of windows 8 I can just as many windows open as I did in 7, with that its only one click after startup to go to desktop mode and use all my programs like I always have. I also gain a much improved task manager and a customisable full screen start menu, what's not to like?

A simple tip is just don't use any mui apps and all is fine and works how it should.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    My copy of windows 8 I can just as many windows open as I did in 7, with that its only one click after startup to go to desktop mode and use all my programs like I always have. I also gain a much improved task manager and a customisable full screen start menu, what's not to like?

A simple tip is just don't use any mui apps and all is fine and works how it should.

That's one of the changes I made to mine - originally changing the default programs for file types to a desktop program rather than an MUI app. However, some of the apps are very useful/good at what they do - it's just jarring when you get yanked out of the desktop to see/use them, so now I have it so the MUI apps run as windows within the desktop.

Thanks
    • MrBozack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k @4.47mHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Blue DDR3
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 7850 OC Windforce X2 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX 650W
      • Case:
      • SilverStone LC17
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro with MCE
      • Monitor(s):
      • Toshiba 40" LCD
      • Internet:
      • 24mb Copper

Why is it that Windows 7 users always get so defensive on Windows 8 news items? I seriously doubt any of them have used the OS much. If they had, they would realise exactly WHY Eight is great!

Windows 8's Falls Short
    -Windows 8 has no "network map" to display all your network devices. It's handy and I miss that feature from Windows 7.
    -There's no start bar. Start8 from Stardock provides a better options (than the Microsoft one ever did). You can even have a custom image on the bar! It also removes charms, tiles and other new features that scare the traditionalists so much. The end product is an operating system that looks like Windows 7 and is as fast as Windows 8!

Windows 8's Qualities
    -It's faster than Windows 7.
    -Windows 7 owners envy you.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by MrBozack View Post
    Why is it that Windows 7 users always get so defensive on Windows 8 news items? I seriously doubt any of them have used the OS much. If they had, they would realise exactly WHY Eight is great!
    I've used it. And the likely only reason why you think "Eight is great!" Is because you buy into such marketing spiel, or other appeal to novelty fallacies.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Yeah, the MUI's I just don't touch, they're too bulky and after having used windows it feels like a pain in the ass to do anything with them. However boot up time is ridiculously fast and you can launch any program in desktop mode from the start screen which is, imo, at least as good if not better than the start menu was.

These addition look good but tbh I don't use any of the features that this will effect so I don't think I'll notice much. The action wallpapers could be cool though.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Why is it that Windows 8 fans can't accept that some Windows 7 users simply don't like many aspects of changes Windows 8 forces on them? And they especially don't like the fact that it's being forced.

I have Windows 7 and Windows 8, both paid-for licences. Guess which one I use, day to day? Yup, W7. I use 8 only for things where I have to be working with 8.

Are there things about 8 that are better? Sure. But equally, there are things that, personally, I regard as much worse and the UI changes top that list.

So, do the benefits exceed the drawbacks? For me, no. Maybe they do for you. Most of tne benefits, like improved performance, might be quantifiable in a benchmark, but in my day to day, real-world usage, make NO real difference to me.

It's like buying a car with 300bhp and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Then, a new model comes out that is 320bhp and does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. Whoop-de-do. Can I tell driving to the shops, or to visit relatives at the weekend? Nope. But, the manufacturer decided to only make left-hand drive versions, made the speedo move right to left, and decide a park bench was preferable to the comfortable leather sports seats in my current car. Sure, it's more powerful and quicker, but the UI changes do not meet with my approval.

-Windows 7 owners envy you.
    Now I know you're kidding. Windows 7 owners no doubt fall into many categories, but if you think they all envy Win8, dream on.

16. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (06-06-2013)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Why is it that Windows 8 fans can't accept that some Windows 7 users simply don't like many aspects of changes Windows 8 forces on them? And they especially don't like the fact that it's being forced.
    They probably subconsciously fear MUI stuff being taken away from their tablets, or something, even though the system can be set to front-and-centre MUI on touchscreen machines and be desktop-centric on a keyboard & mouse/touchpad machine. A bit like how Christian evangelists in the US are crying oppression because other minorities are demanding equality and truly secular government. They can still practice Christianity, they're just being asked not to ram it down everyone's throats.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
    That's one of the changes I made to mine - originally changing the default programs for file types to a desktop program rather than an MUI app. However, some of the apps are very useful/good at what they do - it's just jarring when you get yanked out of the desktop to see/use them, so now I have it so the MUI apps run as windows within the desktop.
    Verrry interesting.
    How did you do that ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    .... A bit like how Christian evangelists in the US are crying oppression because other minorities are demanding equality and truly secular government. They can still practice Christianity, they're just being asked not to ram it down everyone's throats.
    Sorry, I'm puzzled ..... didn't God grant exclusive rights to extremist religious nut-jobs everywhere to inflict their particular brand of love, kindess and tolerance on everyone else, at the threat of death, ex-communication, horrific torture and the fires of eternal hell, not to mention no milk and cookies before bed, despite the absolute lack of anything remotely resembling a single shred of actual evidence that their God even exists, let alone that they have a clear and direct line to the will of him/her/it, so you'll do what I tell you and believe what I tell you to believe, or else.

I don't see your problem.

Oh wait ....

20. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (06-06-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information