• Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Re: News - ZTE Open Firefox OS smartphone will be an eBay exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Good thing it's only £60, priced any higher it'd be a rip off. An A5 and 512MB is going to crawl along and that screen is terribly low resolution. It's going to make FFOS look utter pants.

They should have at least tried for something with a dual core A7 and 1GB, 8GB internal storage and a 800/854 x 480 screen. Even the Intel Lexington platform explicitly described as being an entry level baseline for emerging markets is much better than this.
    Most reviews point towards the OS being very smooth with little to no lag. Its Android that makes you think you need the high specs, when you don't. This OS runs HTML5 rather than Java so much more efficient than android. Windows Phone can also run just fine on a slightly higher CPU but with same RAM, and higher res screen. If they had added better specs like you suggest then it would be £100+ which people don't want. I wanted a cheap device to trial an OS, and ZTE delivered. Hopefully that chip is good for a reasonable OC to maybe 1.2GHz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ksyruz View Post
    It's nice to see new competitors come out however, I don't see any staying as the current field is being helled through the apps people have already perchased. Thus moving to a new OS generally means perchasing £50 of new apps. The only place I see the phone making it is with Drug Dealers, Hitmen, and the Mafia. Becaue this is the best burner-phone it would seem.
    Be serious. Besides, there are <£10 phones you can buy if that's all you need - why go with a £60 smartphone?

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Good thing it's only £60, priced any higher it'd be a rip off. An A5 and 512MB is going to crawl along and that screen is terribly low resolution. It's going to make FFOS look utter pants.

They should have at least tried for something with a dual core A7 and 1GB, 8GB internal storage and a 800/854 x 480 screen. Even the Intel Lexington platform explicitly described as being an entry level baseline for emerging markets is much better than this.
    See previous post, you don't need 5 million PPI for a decent usable screen. There's no reason this shouldn't perform reasonably well provided you're not hoping to run a ton of intensive apps on it. If you need that, you spend more, simple.

I really don't get why people are getting so upset because a £60 phone isn't giving £600 specs? Find a similarly priced phone with meaningfully better specs...

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

£59.99 smartphone would sell in a supermarket but only on ebay!... Most people won't even know it exists.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Seems an interesting strategy, the first thing I am thinking is if its optimised to use that hardware/screen then it could work very well indeed.

I will say android isn't very kind to lower specs hence my reason for buying the lumia 520 its lightening quick for a budget smartphone.

I may have to buy one of these just for a look.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Chadders87 View Post
    Firefox havn't been known to steal peoples data for financial gain, and they still allow AdBlock software to run without issues. I would expect the same from their OS.
    Sigh. First off Google is one of Mozilla Foundation's main backers, so if you're looking for an "evil free" experience then Firefox OS isn't it either. Secondly, who's to say that if you buy a carrier-provided phone (not SIM free) that it won't be data scraping with the best of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    Even if they do have an spying software on the OS, its so open (when compared to android) that it could all be removed easily
    I really don't see how you can say that, try DDG'ing or Bing'ing "AOSP". The problem is not Android itself - according to the experts on xda it's the Google Apps that do it. So if you flashed with a 3rd party ROM and didn't install GApps package then your handset isn't going to be "calling home".

Saw an interesting commentary on FirefoxOS. Namely that it's probably what Android could have been if they hadn't decided to go with a Java-centric approach. Which given that Java is notorious flabby and sluggardly means that FirefoxOS is going to be lean and quick. Not that this would persuade me to get one - it's a curiosity and niche device, nothing more

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I really don't get why people are getting so upset because a £60 phone isn't giving £600 specs?
    That's missing the point of my original post, though other people do seem to be more concerned about MHz and MBs. I am concerned that, given the phone is selling itself on being something for the 'net', that the low resolution will give a poor user experience browsing most of the net and hence will damage the OS's reputation.

Hopefully the OS/apps are nice and light so the processor / ram requirements will be small, but you can't really get round the number of pixels on screen when trying to look at many pictures of funny cats with captions.

Thanks

Yeah I can see where you're coming from, and that's not really what I was arguing against. It would be nice to see some sort of top-to-bottom launch for the OS, in order to show of its capabilities on the high end, and still allow people to buy in out of curiosity etc. But like I said, an expensive phone carrying an unproven OS could be a fair risk for the manufacturer, but maybe we'll see some re-purposed Android models, given time?

The screen doesn't have stellar resolution, but IMO it could be more than usable especially given the price range. While I was using my Galaxy Ace, the screen seemed OK TBH (like I said I prefer it over the better-on-paper SIII Mini screen), although the ARM11 CPU and limited RAM did limit functionality somewhat, especially if you tried to do a load of things quickly. IMO the OP phone could provide a good balance of features for an entry-level smartphone.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    Most reviews point towards the OS being very smooth with little to no lag. Its Android that makes you think you need the high specs, when you don't. This OS runs HTML5 rather than Java so much more efficient than android. Windows Phone can also run just fine on a slightly higher CPU but with same RAM, and higher res screen. If they had added better specs like you suggest then it would be £100+ which people don't want. I wanted a cheap device to trial an OS, and ZTE delivered. Hopefully that chip is good for a reasonable OC to maybe 1.2GHz
    The OS might well be smooth, the OS on old Nokia Symbian phones I had with a similar level CPUs was smooth years ago so that's hardly some new achievement. The problems arose when I tried to doing anything beyond the built-in, anything "smartphone" like - for example web browsing was mind numbingly slow and frustrating, one cheeky gif and you're locked up waiting 5 minutes. It's probably fine as a feature phone but I suspect it will struggle if people try to do things you might expect to do on a new 2013 smartphone and that is not going to be a good showcase. It's fine at £60, that's the right price, but I just don't see it generating a rush of wow over FFOS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information