• Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Re: News - Record companies ask ISPs to provide illegal downloader data

I laugh when I read stuff like this, it is like they blatantly ignore the data that proves this sort of action is fruitless.

I rarely pirate anything any more and when I do it is because the legal option is not good enough. To be honest if I wasn't able to pirate music, movies, games and TV series when I was younger then the industry would not have any of the money I spend at the moment.

The more studies are done on piracy the more it turns out not to be as negative an activity as the industry makes it out to be. Switzerland refuses to make piracy an illegal activity based on their research and I have yet to come across any study to say otherwise. The only information I have found that claims piracy is harmful is anecdotal and is sourced from institutions with a vested interest in anti-piracy laws.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/12/swiss-government-file-sharing-no-big-deal-some-downloading-still-ok.ars
    http://www.techspot.com/news/51990-eu-commission-piracy-doesnt-hurt-music-sales-may-even-help.html

2. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (03-09-2013),pollaxe (02-09-2013)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by george1979 View Post
    I'd imagine the much bigger issue now is TV and Film. These companies need to pull their finger out and make their content more accessible in the same way Spotify etc has for music.
    the deals they make with companies like Sky and Virgin are outdated and basically encourage people to download stuff. You may only want to watch certain programmes like Game Of Thrones, Dexter or whatever yet you are pushed into subscribing to packages which include channels full of utter rubbish.
    Until people stop subscribing, that is never going to change and Sky, Virgin etc will keep on bidding huge sums of money to air shows......and that cost has to be passed on.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Actually, there's a specific exception in the DPA allowing the data controller to give personal information out for the prevention or detection of crime. As piracy is a crime, ISPs may give your personal information to someone who wishes to use it for detecting or preventing piracy. Baked into the DPA, nothing you can do about it, no special permissions required.
    Piracy is not a crime. It is copyright infringement which is a civil offence not a criminal offence. People keep calling it copyright theft but it is not

Long Time Lurker
    Thanks

When they stop acting like the mafia and extorting and bullying people.
    When they start treating their artists right with proper contracts.
    When they stop abusing police/fbi/other gov resources to prosecute a CIVIL matter as a CRIMINAL one.
    only then they /might/ get my respect.

Maybe.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

TV shows are notorious for exclusive deals which annoys me. At least there is the option to get 3Click.tv which offers a large selection of up to date TV shows for one subscription which is a lot cheaper than Sky or Virgin, you also get to watch what you want when you want to rather than being forced to watch things according to a TV network schedule. As far as I can see you get mostly American stuff with 3Click but for me that is perfect because I prefer the American TV shows. I use Netflix for films and the odd series I haven't started yet so I have no need for a TV subscription.

All I am waiting for now is a legal way to watch live sports how I want rather than being forced to subscribe to certain channels just to get a select few games I'm interested in.

Thanks
    • anselhelm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 2x16GiB Crucial 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 1x WD Gold 10TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 2070 Super w/ Morpheus II
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI OPTIX MAG272QR
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Who the hell still pirates music?

(1) Enthusiasts who desire lossless music that cannot be purchased online.
    (2) Music lovers who cannot find an album they desire either at all or at a reasonable price.
    (3) Anyone who believes that music is heavily overpriced for what it is.
    (4) Young people who have been shown how to do so by older siblings or by their parents.
    (5) People who are unable to buy a specific album online quickly and download it via other means for quickness and convenience.
    (6) People who refuse to give money to an industry which desires to give downloaders of copyrighted material harsher fines or sentences than murderers, rapists or paedophiles.

And so on.

In short, there are lots of reasons.

Furthermore, "piracy" actually HELPS the industry. It is a fallacy that it reduces music sales.

http://www.ibtimes.com/online-piracy-does-not-negatively-affect-digital-music-sales-may-actually-help-music-industry

Most people who try to take the righteous path to complain about copyright infringement do not understand it at all or how wrong the industry is in trying to treat downloaders as criminals.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george1979 View Post
    I'd imagine the much bigger issue now is TV and Film. These companies need to pull their finger out and make their content more accessible in the same way Spotify etc has for music.
    For any who have not seen it, the recent speech by Kevin Spacey at the Edinburgh Television Festival about why Netflix will save Television has been doing the rounds the last few days between many involved in the Film & TV industry... very interesting...

"Give people what they want, when they want it, in the form they want it in, at a reasonable price and they'll more likely pay for it rather than steal it."

Last edited by Barakka; 02-09-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

9. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (02-09-2013),crossy (03-09-2013),pollaxe (03-09-2013)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by cjs150 View Post
    Piracy is not a crime. It is copyright infringement which is a civil offence not a criminal offence. People keep calling it copyright theft but it is not
    I'll introduce you to my colleague then, who pointed that (dictionary definition) to steal something you need to deprive the owner of it. But a copyright "thief" isn't removing the copyright from the holder ... they're merely refusing to acknowledge the "right" of the holder to that position. Or as he pithily put it ... if someone drives through a red light, you don't charge them with stealing the traffic lights!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barakka View Post
    For any who have not seen it, the recent speech by Kevin Spacey at the Edinburgh Television Festival about why Netflix will save Television has been doing the rounds the last few days between many involved in the Film & TV industry... very interesting...
    "Give people what they want, when they want it, in the form they want it in, at a reasonable price and they'll more likely pay for it rather than steal it."
    Thanks for that - Mr Spacey is 100% correct. I doubt more than a reactionary handful of folks will go to the effort of "stealing" content if that content is readily available at a price that is - by their standards - judged to be "reasonable". Just about to slap in an order to Amazon for some blues CD's myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElManCub View Post
    i like the advert that says piracy funds terrorism! but how when its a free download?
    I remember the reasoning on this one, it's ... "interesting":
    a. If you pay for an illegal copy then that money goes straight to fund organised crime, drug gangs, pedo rings, etc (we've all seen the ad's on the tv etc). None of it goes to fund disorganised crime, sorry, I meant the copyright holders;
    b. If you get a free download, then the copyright holder is denied a sale. And a portion of that sale will go back to your government in tax (sales tax or VAT). That tax money is then used to fund government activities including policing. Therefore by getting a free download you're cutting police funding;
    c. Also by denying a sale, you're also cutting the chances of employment for the population (someone has to make the DVD etc, package it, deliver it to you or sell it in a shop). A portion of your sale goes to those people in wages, and it's assumed that they pay income tax, so again you've deprived the government of revenue (see b above), plus this time you're also putting people on the dole ... you heartless b**tard! (last bit is sarcasm if it wasn't obvious)

Not saying I agree with any of the above, but thought it'd be helpful to reproduce it.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • CCODEZ's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair Arctic White DDR1600 9-9-9-24 1T @ 1876 10-10-10-24 1T
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Agility 3 120, Weston Digitals - 500GB, 1TB, 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX GeForce GTX 275 XXX Core Edition 675/1180
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Liberty Modular 620w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake XaserVI Red/Black with Window
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG - W2053TQ

Wouldn't surprise me if they just fixed up their predicted sales vs actual sales and said "yup, all those people we thought would buy and didn't buy must have downloaded it then".

Registered+
    Thanks

Rather than spying these companies need to help develop music distribution through things like spotify, youtube so people won't feel the need to pirate

Thanks
    • Savas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III 2.5 inch Internal SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850W
      • Case:
      • LIANLI PC-8FI
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 32LF580V
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbits (Plusnet)

Quote Originally Posted by ardechey View Post
    Rather than spying these companies need to help develop music distribution through things like spotify, youtube so people won't feel the need to pirate
    Agreed & that's the irony in this situation.

They're not moving with the times, then blaming the consumers and taking out on them. It's a little messed up, sort of like biting the hand that feeds you, the people that earns them their money. Also there's some really brain washed people out there who have fallen for this crap and actually believe what they're saying.

I don't buy music and this crap inclines me to continue to NEVER buy or pay for their music. If piracy of music stopped, I'm betting places like YouTube will EXPLODE even more and more places like it will be popular. It will shift and then it will be even EASIER for people to obtain music for free.

They can't stop it and I hope they burn every single penny they have trying to, till they die and a new fresh open thinking people step in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information