Thread: News - The $100 3D Peachy Printer blasts past Kickstarter funding targets

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - The $100 3D Peachy Printer blasts past Kickstarter funding targets

Bargain priced 3D printer takes a new approach.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - The $100 3D Peachy Printer blasts past Kickstarter funding targets

I'm impressed they've managed to get a half-decent output from ghetto galvanometers and sound card output, but what's REALLY impressive is the saline float system. Not only does it eliminate a complex and expensive fluid-immersed z-axis (and is self-leveling!), but it drastically reduces the quantity of resin needed for a build. Photosensitive resin is THE big cost for photolithographic machines, so even without their 'cheap' resin mix (I'll believe it when I see it) that alone is a huge innovation. I'm tempted to skip the laser setup, and use the 'classic' photolithographic setup of a DLP projector with a short focus lens to get better resolution and repeatability and swap out the moving bed for the drip system, but I should really finish the pile of bits intended to be a MendelMax first...

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

I'd be interested in this although I have to say the photo's of the printouts do make the results look a little lumpy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    I'd be interested in this although I have to say the photo's of the printouts do make the results look a little lumpy.
    I'm yet to see an affordable 3D printer that doesn't create those strata. You could always buff them out with a fine sanding tool though.

I still think it's a mistake to have popularised the term "3D printing". The original term was obviously unwieldy, but really "rapid prototyping" was always a much better phrase to explain the nature and function of the products.

Cog
    Registered+
    Thanks

But 3D printers are able to create items that are an end product, so rapid prototyping is an entirely useless name. Rapid prototyping is only a use of the machines, not their name.

There's not really much wrong with the 3D printing term from an engineering standpoint. The only other name for them is additive manufacturing.

Thread Information