Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
OP I was replying to was saying that contact sync was difficult - so I was pointing out that it wasn't. And actually my youngest kid pointed out that she could sync her Android phone with Outlook and then sync the new WP8 one with the same data source (Outlook), so there's a second route - one that doesn't involve a trip to the Googleverse.

And yes, I know you regard your contact list as sacrosanct, fair enough. Then again, got to wonder if Google are able to infer your contact list from the other side, e.g. do the "Bacon Number" trick? if those contacts aren't taking the same privacy-is-paramount view as you do.

PS please don't take the above as a criticism - everyone's entitled to their opinion - merely pointing out that your data might already be out there without your explicit consent. Of course, I'm also prepared to be told that I'm out of line here.
Yup, understood about what you were replying to. I was just pointing out an implication of that solution. Of course, it's for the individual to decide if it's a price worth paying or not, and my bet is, most people won't care enough to not pay it.

As for my data being out there, all I can do is what I can. I can't entirely control what data about me others put on their phone. That I can only do up to a point, and up to a point, I do do it. That point is to be VERY careful who has data like my phone number. And, to change it periodically.

As far as I can see, about the only thing I can do beyond that is to not have a phone at all. That might be going a little to far.

And no, you're not at all out of line. The points you make are quite right. Personally, I don't want companies like Google having so much as a single byte of data about me, but odds are, they do, and they do, as you pointed out, against my explicit wishes. That's why I detest and despise them.