Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: News - Valve publishes list of Steam Machine prototype specs

Thanks

Re: News - Valve publishes list of Steam Machine prototype specs

Quote Originally Posted by MrRockliffe View Post
    The system will draw 400w MAX.
    And for safety you should always add 20% on top when choosing a PSU, 20% of 400 is 480, a 450w PSU is not nearly enough redundancy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    You can't be using "Basic math" as you don't have the details from Valve to make the calculations needed. At best you're making an educated guess based off the components listed.
    Unless they have magically conjured up components that draw less power than the lowest draw components on the market then no it's not a guess.

Correlation doesn't mean causation. We've seen people say similar things many times and then have a EZ-Cool PSU installed.
    They were all high end Corsair PSU's, the reason i kept replacing it with the same wattage was because it was under warrenty and they wouldn't replace it with different. When i ended up paying extra and put in a more ppowerful corsair after multiple swap-outs it was fairly obvious that it was because the PSU wasn't powerful enough.

Let's just weigh the "facts" up:

Valve, a multi-billion dollar corporation, are going to spend millions on R&D, use existing known PC parts and ship these to users in an unstable condition where they will regularly get BSOD's. This will cost them millions to fix.

VS

Some guy on the internet who swears at other people and gives vague statements about an issue he once had.
    It wouldn't be the first time some company spent milliosn on research and then screwed up on the most basic thing, you just have to look at microsoft and windows milenium to see that

It's not looking good for you, sir.
    It's looking perfectly fine for me, i have stated the facts as i have experienced them, if you want to carry on disputing them then that's your problem not mine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    O.K... so you made the rather strange decision of replacing the PSU with the same wattage mulitple times before deciding capacity might be an issue and you havent mentioned any models or brands of PSU. I'm going to remian sceptical of your 'statements'.
    That aside, even if you hadnt done the above, you're still one person with one persons claimed experience vs a combination of Valve, AMD, NVidia, Intel and the various other partners involved in the project. Despite what you say here, i would still call your comments less plausible than Valves plans.
    Not so strange, the PSU was under warrenty, i was sending it back and getting a replacement, they will only replace like for like, it wasn't until i gave up and paid the extra that a more powerful one was sent which finally fixed the issue. They were all high end corsair PSU's. I'm only one person to you, but i've been seeing people have the exact same problem on and off for a long time now, i'm not the only one, there are lots of people it's happened to.

Thanks
    • GeorgeStorm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77IA-E53
      • CPU:
      • i5 3450
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 1866mhz C10
      • Storage:
      • 256gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

Nothing that can be done about it, just wait and see what happens.

Who knows, maybe they've done some magic, I'm sure over time power draw figures will be released etc.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by R. Lloyd View Post
    Not so strange, the PSU was under warrenty, i was sending it back and getting a replacement, they will only replace like for like, it wasn't until i gave up and paid the extra that a more powerful one was sent which finally fixed the issue. They were all high end corsair PSU's. I'm only one person to you, but i've been seeing people have the exact same problem on and off for a long time now, i'm not the only one, there are lots of people it's happened to.
    Regrettably, you're still focussing on anecdotal evidence rather than actual numbers.

For instance, this is the power draw of an entire i7 desktop system running at load, showing that 500W would be sufficient for Titan SLI:

6. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (11-11-2013)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information