• Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII x 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX3070Ti, EVGA RTX 3060Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i, RMX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

Re: News - Apple sold 34 million iPhones and 14 million iPads last quarter

Never had an iPhone and never will have one. I tried a Mac mini recently and it confirmed what I had always known in that you feel to limited to what you can do with with an Apple product. The only thing I will use from Apple is an iPod touch I own. But I do not use iTunes as that restricts you as well and I use media monkey gold.
    Android I find its so much easier and less restricted
    JABULANI NONKE

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Yeah I know I may sound anti apple but the funny thing is I'm not anti apple, I'm anti the apple 'hype' machine, the stock price is saying it all in my opinion, it's going down all the time.

OS's 'borrowing' ideas is pretty common, some even blatantly steal ideas and say they're new and revolutionary.... but at the end of the day it helps 'improve' user experiences and sadly flat design is here to stay....
    Going to agree with this 100%, heartily dislike the legal maneuvering and the "we reimplemented this, and so we 'invented' it" mentality. On the other hand I do like their interfaces (definitely like OS X from what little I've had to do with it), and their customer support (apart from the "Genius" bars) has been exemplary.

Maybe the fall in stock price will convince someone in power that they can't continue to live on past glories and do some really innovative products. Not that this would convince me to buy an iPhone or iPad, as I'm too comfortable with the alternatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by pollaxe View Post
    Not that anyone will give a tinker's cuss as to what I think, of course.
    I do, (and agree with the bits of your post that I cut).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

The problem is that Samsung are doing the best job of everyone out there, balancing the cost to performance and the looks and features...
    Touchwiz I'm ambivalent about, the SDK's for their hardware is a good idea as long as it's not a quick way to make Samsung even more powerful
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    The problem is that Samsung are doing the best job of everyone out there, balancing the cost to performance and the looks and features...
    Touchwiz I'm ambivalent about, the SDK's for their hardware is a good idea as long as it's not a quick way to make Samsung even more powerful
    Not sure if Samsung are doing the 'best' job in regards to the phone itself but they're doing the best marketing/brand awareness out of android phone makers, not to mention they already had a BIG leg up due to their tv's etc for brand awareness, surprised lg isn't doing better. Most reviews are saying the htc one and lg g2 are better phones but I have NEVER seen an advert for these anywhere, while I have for Apple and Samsung.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Quote Originally Posted by Kovoet View Post
    I tried a Mac mini recently and it confirmed what I had always known in that you feel to limited to what you can do with with an Apple product.
    Really? What couldn't you do that you could do with Windows/Linux?

Not trolling - genuine question.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

All these things are cyclical though - ten or twelve years ago Microsoft were perceived as the evil giant, steamrollering the opposition, buying up small companies with competitive products just to kill them. There were a whole load of sites where people referred to "Windoze" and "Micro$oft" as if the names were too dreadful to mention. Apple were seen as the little guy staving off Goliath. (And were partially rescued by Microsoft who at one point had, iirc, a 20% stake in Apple)

Then on the back of that came the iphone, which was pretty revolutionary at the time and the herd jumped on that. Then as Apple's shine faded, and Android came along, the herd followed that. Microsoft has sort of rehabilitated itself, and the Windows phone looks as if it will be where the herd goes next.

The herd will probably fall for the Microsoft surface too, and that will be a new "must have". Personally, now that the iphone is no longer the 'cool thing' to have, its probably time I thought about getting one! And time to build a Hackingtosh!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The herd will probably fall for the Microsoft surface too, and that will be a new "must have".
    I want to get a larger tablet as although I have a nexus 7 it doesn't really do much outside basic browsing, games and videos and I like the idea of a windows tablet with a stylus more than the other options out there. The funny thing is as much as I liked the surface 2 pro (no point in the surface in my opinion) I'm more interested in the dell venue pro's...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Then on the back of that came the iphone, which was pretty revolutionary at the time and the herd jumped on that. Then as Apple's shine faded, and Android came along, the herd followed that. Microsoft has sort of rehabilitated itself, and the Windows phone looks as if it will be where the herd goes next.

The herd will probably fall for the Microsoft surface too, and that will be a new "must have". Personally, now that the iphone is no longer the 'cool thing' to have, its probably time I thought about getting one! And time to build a Hackingtosh!
    I'm not sure I agree. Yes Windows Phone is doing "alright" - but I've failed to see anything that says it's going to be able to achieve anything more than a (distant?) third position. Personally I think that a shame since there's quite a lot to like in there. Will Microsoft's buyout of Nokia hurt WP? I think there's a distinct possibility.

Surface on the other hand is easier to argue. First off, RT is a waste of space - good idea in theory, but whenever I've suggested it, all I've got back is "no software apart from Office". Pro on the other hand is probably a decent idea, but others - Samsung, Asus, etc - seem to do it better. My feeling is that the gotta-have configuration going forward are these tablet/netbook hybrids like the Asus Transformer, HP Envy x2, etc.
    I want to get a larger tablet as although I have a nexus 7 it doesn't really do much outside basic browsing, games and videos and I like the idea of a windows tablet with a stylus more than the other options out there.
    Take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. You can still get the "old" model on pretty decent prices (heard a rumour that some O2 stores have it for less than £250). Stylus implementation is really good, only downside for most people is that it's Android not Windows (and ARM not x86).

I actually bought the add-on stylus for my Note 10.1, this has a spring-loaded "eraser" on the end and it's surprising how naturally that feels in software that supports it.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. You can still get the "old" model on pretty decent prices (heard a rumour that some O2 stores have it for less than £250). Stylus implementation is really good, only downside for most people is that it's Android not Windows (and ARM not x86).

I actually bought the add-on stylus for my Note 10.1, this has a spring-loaded "eraser" on the end and it's surprising how naturally that feels in software that supports it.
    I actually had a go on one in (shudder) pc world and I didn't come away too impressed, yeah I know it's a demo model so it's not going to run like it would when we get it but I just didn't feel that the device worked well, not just because of the software but because of the 'feel' of the stylus on the screen (seemed 'sticky' which is strange for a wacom based stylus) and to me this is far more important than anything else.

Then there is a software issue in that I would argue that there is more software on windows that supports a stylus compared with on android...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

I actually had a go on one in (shudder) pc world and I didn't come away too impressed, yeah I know it's a demo model so it's not going to run like it would when we get it but I just didn't feel that the device worked well, not just because of the software but because of the 'feel' of the stylus on the screen (seemed 'sticky' which is strange for a wacom based stylus) and to me this is far more important than anything else.

Then there is a software issue in that I would argue that there is more software on windows that supports a stylus compared with on android...
    First point - yes, it's strange ( ) that the Nexus's et al in PC World don't seem to perform as well as ones that in the hands of consumers. And there's the small matter (in my store at least) that you have to walk around a very large Apple stand to get to the "proper" gear. My advice is that if a Note appeals try it in Carphonewarehouse or John Lewis. Not suggesting for a second that PC World deliberately cripple the non-Apple gear, but ...

Second bit, apart from Photoshop all the apps (got a Wacom tablet for my PC) that I've come across seem to use the stylus purely as a mouse replacement with the possibility of a handwriting keyboard (which - coincidentally doesn't work very well with the latest Office - for me at least). But how many Windows tablets have you seen with that stylus/digitizer combination? Not many (if any). In which case you'd need to bring tablet AND a separate drawing surface - not good.

I guess what would suit you would be something like a "Note Pro" - Windows8/x86 based tablet with the Note's Wacom digitizer integrated into the screen and OS support for a pressure sensitive style that slots into the body.

Thanks

Not sure if Samsung are doing the 'best' job in regards to the phone itself but they're doing the best marketing/brand awareness out of android phone makers, not to mention they already had a BIG leg up due to their tv's etc for brand awareness, surprised lg isn't doing better. Most reviews are saying the htc one and lg g2 are better phones but I have NEVER seen an advert for these anywhere, while I have for Apple and Samsung.
    When I said best job I meant the whole thing...including marketing. They hit the price points V hardware quite well, market the product, then deliver the product. As you've said, you only see adverts for Samsung and Apple these days

Thanks

All the stuff in PC World etc. seems to perform worse, tv's always seem badly setup, and the tablets have that demo thing on them which seems to run all the time. Imagine though that the stuff gets turned on and left for hours every single day and I imagine that's the reason, not exactly normal useage is it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    First point - yes, it's strange ( ) that the Nexus's et al in PC World don't seem to perform as well as ones that in the hands of consumers. And there's the small matter (in my store at least) that you have to walk around a very large Apple stand to get to the "proper" gear. My advice is that if a Note appeals try it in Carphonewarehouse or John Lewis. Not suggesting for a second that PC World deliberately cripple the non-Apple gear, but ...
    like I said I know it's a demo unit in PC World (so going to be jammed up with all the junk etc) but even giving it an allowance for that it still didn't really feel quite right for me, mainly in the stylus area.
    Second bit, apart from Photoshop all the apps (got a Wacom tablet for my PC) that I've come across seem to use the stylus purely as a mouse replacement with the possibility of a handwriting keyboard (which - coincidentally doesn't work very well with the latest Office - for me at least). But how many Windows tablets have you seen with that stylus/digitizer combination? Not many (if any). In which case you'd need to bring tablet AND a separate drawing surface - not good.

I guess what would suit you would be something like a "Note Pro" - Windows8/x86 based tablet with the Note's Wacom digitizer integrated into the screen and OS support for a pressure sensitive style that slots into the body.
    Actually you'd be surprised by how many of the programs I use can utilise the stylus to make the program more efficient or faster to use but then I do work in 3d design so using a stylus is part of the job lol

Actually the 'note pro' is part of the reason I'm waiting on the dell venue pro's (plus there are new wacom tablets, sony, surface pro, lenovo, samsung Q if ever gets released, HP I think and I suspect asus/acer will follow the trend soon enough), they seem to have everything I'm after (removable battery is a big plus) in a slate and if their pens work as well as or close to the wacom/ntrig the 11 inch (and 8 for 'expensive' note taking) could be exactly what I'm looking for (reviews pending obviously)

Thanks
    • MrRockliffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z270i Strix
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 850 Evo, 500GB 860 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
      • PSU:
      • 550W Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • NZXT H200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 150Mb

From the looks of things I think I'm the only person that thinks apple's products are getting better. Better specs for less.
    XBOX Live - Sheep Sardine | Origin - MrRockliffe | Steam - MrRockliffe |

Add me

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by MrRockliffe View Post
    From the looks of things I think I'm the only person that thinks apple's products are getting better. Better specs for less.
    "Not quite" for the first part - look at the sales figures.
    "Better specs for around the same price" - I don't see the price of the Air, for example, being less than last years model.

Then again, Samsung seem to be trying that "we're a premium brand, so we get to charge premium prices" schtick too - in which case I'm going elsewhere cos Samsung is definitely an "Asda" style brand, not Fortnum & Mason.

Thanks

To be honest Crossy I think Samsung are just trying to make sure they don't fall into the Android root of losing money on the mobile side of things, even the best of the rest after them are struggling at moment with big sales figures but no margins or profit. They *seem* to be on the ball with the majority of things like software updates etc. Take a look at HTC for a company that is shifting as much as they can make realistically and still just pouring dollars down the drain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information