Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Apple seeks $2bn from Samsung in new patent infringement battle

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Apple seeks $2bn from Samsung in new patent infringement battle

Well, Apple is right. It's been the same with smart watches. Since the world the slightest whiff that Apple might be working on one, every man and his dog has been releasing them.

Thanks

I for one feel that perhaps it is time for Samsung to just stop releasing products in the USA. Then, when people realise that Apple have forced their hands in this then they will vote with their money and stop buying Apple.
    Oh wait that assumes the Americans actually care...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Torashin View Post
    Well, Apple is right. It's been the same with smart watches. Since the world the slightest whiff that Apple might be working on one, every man and his dog has been releasing them.
    loo at the tablet HP released years before Apple - and ofc the Neonade N1 - the worlds first smart phone with `slide to unlock`.

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Here's a couple of images I just stumbled across on google:

HP TC1100 - launched 2004

vs
    Apple iPad - launched 2010

Get over yourselves Apple....
    Dude... the Apple one is *black*. Didn't you notice? *BLACK* ...with a silver trim. Black makes all the difference. Inventiveness at its finest.

5. Received thanks from:

scaryjim (31-03-2014)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Ah the token Apple apologist! I knew that there had to be at least one.

So you're going to claim that Apple invented the smartwatch? Hmm, I've GOT a Sony Ericsson Live View that was supposedly "old hat" when I bought it at the beginning of 2011 (I got it in a Play clearance sale) - so allow me to disagree ... vehemently.

No - as usual - Apple's going to take someone else's idea, polish it a little, then launch and sue the pants off of Samsung. Although we've had two generations of Samsung's wrist brick, a very nice Motorola (the 360 ) and a host from others such as Pebble (who are on, what, their 3rd gen?) - so meanwhile where IS this "magical" iWatch?

Said it once and I'll say it again ... when a "technology" company's legal department is making more column inches than the engineering department, then that's a sure sign that the company has lost it's "mojo".

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Here's a couple of images I just stumbled across on google:

HP TC1100 - launched 2004

vs

Apple iPad - launched 2010

Get over yourselves Apple....
    Don't be silly.

Notice the finger on the HP one, that was because it had a decentish digitiser, the iPad doesn't have that. So it's completely different see.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

8. Received thanks from:

scaryjim (31-03-2014)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

*doddles into Apple store to check out Apple's smartwatches* *crickets*
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

10. Received thanks from:

crossy (01-04-2014),McEwin (01-04-2014),Noxvayl (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    ... Notice the finger on the HP one, that was because it had a decentish digitiser ...
    True, I've not played with a tablet with as good a digitiser as the TC1100 since mine got nicked ... *sigh*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I for one feel that perhaps it is time for Samsung to just stop releasing products in the USA. Then, when people realise that Apple have forced their hands in this then they will vote with their money and stop buying Apple.
    Oh wait that assumes the Americans actually care...
    A bit like sony then who can't really be bothered with the american market so there is a large grey market of imports from the uk and canada in america. Then when the user bricks them sony usa still fix them free of charge but they're a bit slow so users get outraged!

I'm sure samsung would love to ditch the american market but at the end of the day it's profitable (or was before the lawsuits) so why cut off your nose to spite your face.

Thanks

My point is that the Americans don't care... like Samsung would really stop selling stuff.
    Quite a few people again however are saying that their iPhones aren't great and that there is no point getting a 5 or 5S instead of their 4S. Like Crossy said it's a sure sign of a company that is a bit rudderless at mo
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Sour grapes and greed from Apple. Rather than try to trip up Samsung, why dont you just pick up your own game huh ?
    hexus rating
    ebay rating

AMD A8-5400K 3.6@4.0| ASRock A75M| HD7750| 4GB DDR3| Lian Li| Tagan 480W| 2405FPW TFT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamadaia View Post
    Sour grapes and greed from Apple. Rather than try to trip up Samsung, why dont you just pick up your own game huh ?
    Really? I think if I owned a truck load of patents and believed they had been infringed I'd tried to defend my rights to it also. I'd like to see the response here to that. If you owned a tech company would you all be lovie dovie with your fellow competitors? Didnt think so. Samsung has already been caught with its pants down so many times, it doesn't help their cause.

As for patent abuse, Samsung have been skirting the edges of infringement for so long its crazy. Unfortunately most wont go down that road of taking them or Apple for that matter as it costs a fortune with no guarantee of success.

Apple is simply the best company to hate, I'd love to know why people so vehemently hate them, I love their designs, their systems, alas, they are expensive and I cant afford the kit as much as I'd like. My 2009 Mac Pro is still going strong and is still my main workhorse, the same cant be said for the 2-3 windows servers I have had in that same time frame. Compared to the innovative (I know what a weird word to use with Apple eh?) new MacPro my old Mac Pro is looking a tad dated.

Apple do have their faults, but so does everybody, you can't please everybody all the time.

Anyway, I'm off to place my order for the S5 and see if it can live up to the hype.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I think people are objecting to the fact that Apple are protecting their IP, I think the complaint is that there are prior art examples of this.

Apple didn't 'invent' the form factor of the iPad, it was around before, as mentioned here. The idea of having a patent on sliding to unlock is absurd, you might as well patent a 4 digit pin.

The problem I find with Apple is that they are a firm who does a little, and they do that well, so long as you are using it in precisely their prescribed manner. If you wish to go off away from that, you aren't just out of luck, they actively try to remove those options from you.

As for experiences with hardware and such, YMMV, I had clearly defective launch day iPhone 4 that they gave me so much crap about refunding me, I've got an iPad 2, it's what, 3 years old? It now runs so dog slow, I've honestly not touched it this year, it's in the drawer of obsolete tech waiting for me to need it for work or something. Oh and I hope you've bought some OS upgrades, because otherwise your Snow Leopard running device has a plethora of security issues which aren't being updated.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by tay2001 View Post
    Really? I think if I owned a truck load of dubious patents and believed they had been infringed I'd tried to defend my rights to it also.
    Fixed that for you. This is the problem here. Apple hasn't patented anything innovative, they've exploited the lazy rubber-stamping bureaucracy of the USPTO to get patents for all manner of trivial and obvious nonsense, and plenty more with ample evidence that prior art existed before filing. Worst of all, many courts, often ones cherry picked by plaintiffs, will just throw out such patent invalidating evidence. Whether it's bribery or institutional corruption, I don't know, probably the latter, but it is happening.
    Last edited by peterb; 05-04-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: fixed the fix
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

18. Received thanks from:

mikerr (09-04-2014),Noxvayl (05-04-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I think people are objecting to the fact that Apple are protecting their IP, I think the complaint is that there are prior art examples of this.

Apple didn't 'invent' the form factor of the iPad, it was around before, as mentioned here. The idea of having a patent on sliding to unlock is absurd, you might as well patent a 4 digit pin.

The problem I find with Apple is that they are a firm who does a little, and they do that well, so long as you are using it in precisely their prescribed manner. If you wish to go off away from that, you aren't just out of luck, they actively try to remove those options from you.

As for experiences with hardware and such, YMMV, I had clearly defective launch day iPhone 4 that they gave me so much crap about refunding me, I've got an iPad 2, it's what, 3 years old? It now runs so dog slow, I've honestly not touched it this year, it's in the drawer of obsolete tech waiting for me to need it for work or something. Oh and I hope you've bought some OS upgrades, because otherwise your Snow Leopard running device has a plethora of security issues which aren't being updated.
    I think for the most part people are whining because its Apple doing it. I dont recall anybody getting upset when Nokia started the whole patent wars in 2009. Apple could have started it against Palm with the Palm Pre but they didnt. Rolls Royce has been defending its look and feel for years, I'm not sure why you cant have that protection in Mobile phones.

My free OS upgrades are fine, although I do resent some "givens" being taken away when Apple do these upgrades. It did however fix an annoying issue I had with my non standard video card.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Fixed that for you. This is the problem here. Apple hasn't patented anything innovative, they've exploited the lazy rubber-stamping bureaucracy of the USPTO to get patents for all manner of trivial and obvious nonsense, and plenty more with ample evidence that prior art existed before filing. Worst of all, many courts, often ones cherry picked by plaintiffs, will just throw out such patent invalidating evidence. Whether it's bribery or institutional corruption, I don't know, probably the latter, but it is happening.
    Thanks, although the people that matter (in many places in the world) don't appear to share your view.

I dont doubt that the world of tech is littered with dubious payments, I doubt Apple or any other manufacturer is free from those claims. Samsung has been caught quite a few times with information that they shouldn't have and no doubt they have plagiarised many ideas from other vendors that couldnt defend themselves. Oddly enough anybody that raises those claims are called fanbois...hey ho.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information