• Storage:
      • 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 3000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 555M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits

Re: News - More Steam games launched so far in 2014 than in whole of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Thanks for the tips - I'll look those up. Although the latest Wolfenstein looks like it could be good (at least when they fix the crashes and reported graphical bugs). Fire Wolfie up last night (downloaded in quiet time) and managed to get a good 10 minutes into the start before it blue screened. No sign of the screen tearing and texture pop up reported, and that was on "High" quality mode.
    Well, I couldn't resist any longer and got Transistor. It's obscenely satisfying, especially for people who are into what Supergiant Games does such as Bastion which ranks very highly for me.

I hear good things from the new Wolfenstein, it seemingly being a proper run and gun game like the old days which is a big plus for me since I don't really go for those modern realistic shooters. Do you find it runs decently for your specs or below what's expected?

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by tribaljet View Post
    I hear good things from the new Wolfenstein, it seemingly being a proper run and gun game like the old days which is a big plus for me since I don't really go for those modern realistic shooters. Do you find it runs decently for your specs or below what's expected?
    This is strange - according to Raptr I've now played 12 hours of Wolfenstein and that BSOD on the first time I tried it was the only such occurrence. I'm currently playing on the High quality setting with one or two of things like texture quality ramped right up, (and this is at 1080p by the way).

I've not FRAP'd it yet, but in playing I've not seen any tearing or anything that'd cause offence. In fact, strange thing #2 is that the intro titles - where you get the Bethesda and Machinegames logos stuff - IS horribly stuttery on both video and audio. But once it gets to the iD title sequence everything smooths out. Graphics are okay, none of the highly polished/shiny stuff you get with something like Sleeping Dogs etc. But, like I said, definitely "good enough". The cinematics though ... first class.

I had the previous Wolfenstein and while it was okay, I dropped it about 75% through - the focus on the occult etc didn't really "do" it for me. Got to say though that the current one's story line has got me gripped - which has had disastrous consequences for the electric guitar practising unfortunately. As for it being a "run and gun" - yes, you can play it like that - but they've also allowed for Assassin's Creed style stealth killing. Maybe that's a criticism - that there's sections that HAVE to be carried out in the various play styles. That said, someone's already completed in under 10 hours - me, I prefer to get more value out of my £30+, and there's definite rewards for being an explore-a-holic - e.g. I found a way last night to get behind a dug in squad and was able to stealth kill all but the last heavily armoured behemoth, who got a rocket powered enema, all without getting a single shot fired at me in return.

One thing I will say though is that it's definitely right for it to be an 18 certificate - not only the obvious violence, (headshot decapitations), but there's a bit of horror and some (gratuitous?) sex thrown in for good measure.

It probably doesn't have the multiplayer "chops" of a Call of Duty:Ghosts or Battlefield4 - but for a single player it's better than BF4 and many country miles ahead of CoD:Ghosts. Just levelled up my assault rifle with underslung rocket launcher last night.

If I get a chance tonight, I'll dive in and get a note of the settings I'm using and update this post accordingly.

EDIT: I'm using
    VT Cache Size: high; VT Compress: enabled; Max PPF: 32; Shadow Resolution: 4096; Depth of Field: High; Screen-Space Reflections: Medium; Additional Quality Settings: High; Haze Flare: Enabled.
    And it's very stable - it's basically the "High" quality setting with one change. I tried bumping VT Cache and Additional Quality settings up to Ultra along with doubling Max PPF and Shadow Resolution but that gave some tearing/stuttering if you turned quickly. So I've reverted those settings but disabled VT Compress (3GB VRAM on my 7970) and it's back to stable again.
    Last edited by crossy; 28-05-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added video settings.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • tribaljet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel HM65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-2820QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Transcend DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 3000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 555M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits

Sorry for the late reply but apparently I had my forum settings misconfigured for some reason.

Hmm, what was the culprit for that single BSOD, GPU driver? And I didn't think that at this point we'd still see anything less than smooth cinematics, but as long as in-game graphics are smooth, it should be fine

Aside from the chosen theme for the previous Wolfenstein, did you find it enjoyable in the least or are the many complaints around the web valid at all?

How much replayability you think the game might have?

Thanks for the settings Out of curiosity but which ones do you find impact the CPU the most? Reason I ask is because I'm currently on a laptop that has a Geforce GT 555M and an i7-2820QM, so I'd very much prefer to push the CPU as the GPU doesn't really have that much leeway nowadays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information