Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - PC gaming hardware market worth $21.5 billion

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - PC gaming hardware market worth $21.5 billion

There was time when Console games were at least double or triple of PC games. Now the gaming industry has started pushing PC game prices to the same levels. The pain threshold just diminished in terms of what people are prepared to fork out for PC games to have them. Not that much difference anymore, unfortunately. The PC gamers are just cross subsidising the Console games who in turn probably subsidise the Console hardware manufacturers.

OilSheikh

You mean, all of us at Hexus spends $21.5 billion ?

Registered+
    Thanks

Might this be good news for SteamOS? Game availability for it continue to grow and quite a number of big names are now developing linux ports of their game engine such as the Unreal 4 being the latest and gamers obviously continue to love their PC rather than consoles.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 63jax View Post
    and they said PCs are dying, dumb asses!
    Discrete graphics card sales are down year on year.

IGPs are eating away at discrete sales each year and more and more people own laptops and hybrid tablets instead of desktops.

All this is saying is the remaining PC owners,are probably spending more on their PCs now.

The increase in graphics card prices and the slowing down of generational improvements alone,probably means more and more people are spending more on graphics cards over a fixed period now.
    NVIDIA earlier in the year have said that they've had quite a large growth in sales for their GPU (on desktop and notebooks) - around 50% increase in shipments (overall a 14% year to year growth in revenue) - they put this down to increased demand in high-end gaming.

I do think desktop sales have more or less flat-lined - this is probably due to a large % of households now having a PC in the house and much longer average life of a PC (a Core 2 Duo CPU is still decent enough to perform just about all the tasks needed in the house. I've got a Core Duo (32bit only) laptop that's still running just fine and I don't find it slow. Granted I don't use it for gaming mind you

Due to that, it doesn't get replaced as frequently as it might have done 10 years earlier!

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

As others have said general use is being eaten by tablets or is still on older desktops, so of course desktops are in decline as there isn't a need for one in every house any more.

I am one of those who wants good video editing specs so may as well chuck and extra few quid in and add a beastly GPU.

I have no immediate plan to upgrade but probably will with the next range of GPUs, and may make the jump to an AMD CPU too.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • failquail's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI 970 GAMING
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8120 @ 4.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 3x 1Tb HDD RAID5
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD R9 390 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master CM 690 II
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell WFP 2408 + cheap 22" LG monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100meg Virgin cable

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I thought that the prevailing wisdom was that AMD's CPU's were not as good for gaming as their Intel-based brethren at the high-end (top i5 and all i7). I'm sure there's been comments in the last month here about a replacement for the FX's being long overdue.
    True, but factor in the price and AMD are quite competitive.

I'll never buy intel if i can help it (their dirty tricks against AMD over the years just pulled too many minus points for me to willingly buy from them...)
    But even a fairly cheap FX-8120 with a decent cooler is still holding very strong against any modern game, even if intel is better AMD is still more than adequate...

And considering my PC (4.4GHZ AMD 8-core, 16GB RAM) and the consoles (~1.6GHZ AMD 8-core, 8GB RAM) I can't see myself getting below mainstream spec for games any time soon...
    Most i'd need is a new GPU to replace my 6950 and i can match anything from this new gen...
    Last edited by failquail; 15-07-2014 at 03:31 AM.

Thanks

What's "PC gaming hardware" exactly? It's a lot easier to point at a console and say "gaming" than computer parts*. The article mentions CPUs, SSDs, and "fast memory." Even GPUs by themselves aren't necessarily for gaming use.

*Although the PS3 probably did get a boost from being one of the cheaper, most reliable Blu-ray players on the market way back when.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information