Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Features - QOTW: Has your smartphone replaced your point-and-shoot?

Thanks

Re: Features - QOTW: Has your smartphone replaced your point-and-shoot?

never had a camera other than that on whichever phone i've got with me at the time. age 20

Thanks
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2+4TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • ElectriQ 32" 4k IPS + Dell 22" U2212HM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

No, because cheap compact cameras are better now too. If I'm careful, my phone (Galaxy Nexus) can take passable photos that might be comparable to those from a compact digital camera 10 years ago. However, my compact (Canon SX240) is now much better in low light, has 20x optical zoom, optical stabilisation, a far better flash than the phone, decent 1080p video and a load of other features I've probably never used. So, of course the phone is handy for day-to-day spontaneous snaps but I still take a dedicated camera if I'm going somewhere I know I'll want to take pictures.

Even though the photos are going no further than facebook (if that) the zoom and stabilisation are useful to help make up for lazyness and a lack of steady hands/skill on my part when taking the photos. That's what I miss when using the phone - not the outright quality of the dedicated camera but the confidence that I don't have to go back and double check every other photo, especially if the light isn't great. It looks like the G3 and the Galaxy Zoom models are moving in the right direction for me, but I don't think they're quite there yet and there's too much compromise required to get a decent zoom on a phone for the moment.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky123 View Post
    No, because cheap compact cameras are better now too. If I'm careful, my phone (Galaxy Nexus) can take passable photos that might be comparable to those from a compact digital camera 10 years ago...

Even though the photos are going no further than facebook (if that) the zoom and stabilisation are useful to help make up for lazyness and a lack of steady hands/skill on my part when taking the photos...
    Smartphone cameras have advanced quite a lot in that regard since our Galaxy Nexi were designed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

When my last 4MP digital camera packed in about 2 years ago I never bothered replacing it as the phone I had at the time had a better lens.

One less gadget to charge now. My satellite navigation is the same. Sat in the car for years gathering dust.

(note to self - Gumtree)
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Registered+
    Thanks
    • SRPlus's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
      • CPU:
      • Dual Intel Xeon E5-2687W (16 cores / 32 Threads)
      • Memory:
      • Hynix 64GB DDR3 ECC-R Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • O/S Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, Storage Seagate 2TB HDD, Projects Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4x Asus GTX Titan 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Dual Antec 1300w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo Case. 11x 14cm Noctua Industrial Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Asus PG348Q 3440 x 1440 IPS 100Hz G-sync
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 70M

I have an 8mp Nikon DSLR that’s getting on a bit. I still use it for work occasionally for things that require a tripod, macro or more accuracy with optical zoom, and I still think it takes better pictures than the mobile devices I have owned. There is to much software built into mobile devices these days to optimise memory space, or automatically blur out peoples blemishes etc, so although the device may output a 12mp photo, the detail when zoomed is never as good as a dedicated DSLR at the same resolution. But for trips and holidays the Nikon now stays at home. Its just annoying having to carry around a bulky camera in a protective case full of lenses, cleaners etc, and having to unclip it, remove it from the case and deal with shoulder straps, and balance everything else you are holding, often resulting in a missed opportunity for a great shot. I have been using a Sony Xperia Z for the last year, and I’m very happy with the quality for holiday snaps , and although I know the Nikon will give better results, the margin isn’t enough not for me to consider the Nikon anymore for trips because of the inconvenience it causes.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SRPlus View Post
    I have an 8mp Nikon DSLR that’s getting on a bit. I still use it for work occasionally for things that require a tripod, macro or more accuracy with optical zoom, and I still think it takes better pictures than the mobile devices I have owned. There is to much software built into mobile devices these days to optimise memory space, or automatically blur out peoples blemishes etc, so although the device may output a 12mp photo, the detail when zoomed is never as good as a dedicated DSLR at the same resolution. But for trips and holidays the Nikon now stays at home. Its just annoying having to carry around a bulky camera in a protective case full of lenses, cleaners etc, and having to unclip it, remove it from the case and deal with shoulder straps, and balance everything else you are holding, often resulting in a missed opportunity for a great shot. I have been using a Sony Xperia Z for the last year, and I’m very happy with the quality for holiday snaps , and although I know the Nikon will give better results, the margin isn’t enough not for me to consider the Nikon anymore for trips because of the inconvenience it causes.
    I agree with all that (though the DSLR is Canon in my case) but reached a different, erm, resolution to the problem.

In my case, I'd much rather have a good compact camera with me on holiday, than a phone. In fact, by and large, about the one thing I don't want with me on holiday is a phone, precisely because it is a holiday.

I make sure that those that might need to get hold of me, i.e. immediate family, have an emergency contact number, but I sure don't want all and sundry, let alone clients, calling me. For me, it's a good reason for using a compact camera not a phone.

Of course, I am one of those rare, weird, anachronistic and atavistic beings that doesn't feel out of place without a phone in arm's reach.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayburnout View Post
    ..... My satellite navigation is the same. Sat in the car for years gathering dust.
    It'll shock nobody that knows me if I point out that I use a standalone SatNav because it's standalone, meaning it can't be "phoning home" to whatever nosy bleeps (and Google, I do mean you, among others) with my location data. For me, that's another reason not to use a smartphone, or if I do, to disable location services.

Thanks
    • m_kinder's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z87 ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair Vengence
      • Storage:
      • 500gb Samsung 840 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Pro 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Yep, Even though the camera on my HTC One M8 isn't the best it's still my day to day camera for quick snaps. However, if i'm going somewhere with the family and I know i'm going to want to take better photos especially if some are at range I'll take my DSLR.

Thanks
    • m_kinder's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z87 ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair Vengence
      • Storage:
      • 500gb Samsung 840 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Pro 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

I was looking at this for a while for the same reason which I think would be a good compromise however still haven't got around to it - http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/lens-style-camera

Registered+
    Thanks
    • SRPlus's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
      • CPU:
      • Dual Intel Xeon E5-2687W (16 cores / 32 Threads)
      • Memory:
      • Hynix 64GB DDR3 ECC-R Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • O/S Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, Storage Seagate 2TB HDD, Projects Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4x Asus GTX Titan 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Dual Antec 1300w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo Case. 11x 14cm Noctua Industrial Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Asus PG348Q 3440 x 1440 IPS 100Hz G-sync
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 70M

Quote Originally Posted by m_kinder View Post
    I was looking at this for a while for the same reason which I think would be a good compromise however still haven't got around to it - http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/lens-style-camera
    That's a pretty cool add-on, quite tempting, but after seeing the price, not so sure..

I think there will always be a place for DSLR's in the professional market, especially in the studio environment or location shoots, the same as there will always be a place for high end PC's, as there are some tasks you simply cannot do, or would want to do on a tablet or smartphone, like 3d modelling, rendering, scientific number crunching etc. My Xperia Z would probably take 5 years to render one frame in 3ds max, that's if it even got to that stage, probably would just freeze trying to load the data.

Things like stand alone sat-nav devices, I think will eventually die out. My dad gave me his Tom-Tom after his new car had sat-nav built in. Used it a few times but then found that Google maps navigation was just as good, if not better, so brought a car holder for the Xperia Z, and now the Tom-Tom stays in a draw.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh yes, the 1020 camera is great.

This is the first photo I ever took, a test pic of a can.

It has such great image quality, whilst it lacks some dynamic range or similar, it is so light, portable and already in my pocket.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I will say my nephew has that phone and the camera is impressive, but many of us don't walk around with £300-£400 phones. In my case the nokia 520 rather less impressive.

But as impressive as it is from a phone, a decent P&S will deliver better and cost less (of course the phone does more)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    [...]Is it just me or is camera quality becoming a lot more important to smartphone makers in general? It seems - to me at least - that it was only Sony that initially made a big deal (and still does) over their phone cameras. Now everyone seems to do it, case in point being my latest buy - LG G3 - playing it's 13Mpix optically-stabilised snapper with laser focus as a big selling point.
    It might have spread further, but as far as I am concerned, this is merely an ongoing and evolutionary trend from a long time back.

[...]But for trips and holidays the Nikon now stays at home. Its just annoying having to carry around a bulky camera in a protective case full of lenses, cleaners etc, and having to unclip it, remove it from the case and deal with shoulder straps, and balance everything else you are holding, often resulting in a missed opportunity for a great shot.[...]
    I am the other way round. I have no trouble carrying my SLT on me on a daily basis, and until recently, I had my tripod on me on a daily basis (recently, the strap used for the tripod is being used to hold a katana). For me it is worth it just to capture an unexpectedly nice sunset, a rainbow, or a night view in the city. The weight doesn't bother me, and if something is happens so quick that I can't get my camera ready on time, then there is a fair chance that I will miss it on my phone too (I hate the time it takes to unlock a screen and open the camera app. Sometime I feel it's not faster than getting my camera ready to shoot). I am certainly no pro, but even as a hobbyist, it is worth it to me.
    Last edited by TooNice; 19-07-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks

Depends on what Im doing. If im just out and see something I think needs a pic taking of then my phone works fine. But if Im planning to go somewhere I will take a point and shoot as the quality is so much better yes even than the 1020 the lenses size etc does make a difference its not all down to the sensor.

Registered+
    Thanks

No, even a cheapie camera will easily outperform the best smart phone cameras. I bring a pocket camera with fully adjustable manual setting & proper image stabilization with a x20 optical zoom if i know i'm going to take some photos. NO grainy photos for me thanks, they look fine on a tiny phone screen but if u ever want to blow them up or view them on a 1080 TV they look awful.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Not sad to say - no. Doesn't help or hurt that I don't have an actual smart phone, by any definition, but merely a feature phone that does one thing very well - act as a phone. As a semi-serious photographer, I'm never without a camera anyway.
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

Thanks

I use an an 808 Pureview, so YES.

Looks like pureview might be hitting a dead end, sadly. Hopefully not, though. Sony have the capacity to put some serious camera tech in their phones, but they don't seem to be really pushing it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information