Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Video shows Windows 9 Start Menu in action

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: News - Video shows Windows 9 Start Menu in action

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl View Post

You say no thanks, but would you say that if it was free as well?
    I did. I bought Win 8, and it's sitting on the shelf, with Win 7 still in use some of the time, and Linux most of the time. And I hadn't used Linux for anything other than dabbling until after I bought, and experienced, Win 8.

In other words, having bought Win 8, I stopped using it and switched to Ubuntu, except for times when I explicitly need Windows, at which point, I use Win 7. The ONLY time I use W8 is when testing something for someone else that uses W8.

And yes, I am and long have been aware of Classic Shell, Start8 and about half a dozen others.

I haven't looked at the leaked stuff yet, and may well not bother, until/unless it becomes clear it's what MS will actually include in shipping versions of W9.

If, and it's definitely an "if", whatever MS come up with works for me, and that includes having my menu back, usable in the way I have and want to use it, and if the clunky aspects of MUI can be disabled (by which I mean avoid the context switching crossy referred to, and not being stuck with Fisher-Price "tiles" I don't want or need, then maybe I'll consider buying W9.

Maybe.

But frankly, MS forced me to seriously look at Ubuntu, and lo and behold, it does everything I need, short of a couple of legacy apps, which can happily stay on Win7, or in at least one case, XP. Do I need Win 8 or Win 9? No. I now can I can cope, quite comfortably, without ever needing another new MS OS for my own use, at all.

So, my forward attitude depends very much on what I think MS are up to, long-term. If it looks like W9 is seen by MS as a stepping stone to a MUI world, then they can shove it where the sun don't shine. If they intend to take us to a MUI world, but using baby steps rather than the Win8 one-big-leap, then they can shove it. If, on the other hand, this looks like a genuine reconciliation between MS and the real-world situation where lots of users just don't want their MUI world, and they are reconciled to Win9 and later allowing US, the users, to configure the UI as WE want it, then and only then will I consider it.

So if Win9 ends up as comments in this thread suggests it looks like, then crossy, I'm not the first to say it but, yup, this is how they should have done it first time. How they actually did it was, of course, a strategic and PR disaster of first order magnitude.

OilSheikh

Still not impressed. The main issues such as Metro is still present. Win7 start menu still looks better.
    Will stick with Windows 7 for another 10 years at this rate

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl View Post
    I didn't buy Windows 8... got it free from University
    You say no thanks, but would you say that if it was free as well?
    On that basis, if the Uni offers you 9 for free too, are you saying that you'd prefer a tweaked 8 to the "new hotness" (and to continue that MiB quote, as opposed to the "old and busted")? Unfortunately Saracen beat me to the Linux punch, although app support is - as usual - the big go/no-go for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    Still not impressed. The main issues such as Metro is still present. Win7 start menu still looks better. Will stick with Windows 7 for another 10 years at this rate
    Just remove the Metro tiles (which I presume are optional, but defaulted), and get back to warmed over Windows7 menu "sanity"?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

I've have tried Ubuntu numerous times, the most significant last year when I started uni I used Ubuntu before I found out I could get Windows 8 and 8.1 for free. This was a different computer to my gaming machine so thought I could do without some games, as a good way to not be distracted by them. Turns out the features I enjoy the most about Windows come from other applications, they are the deciding factor.

I have said, multiple times, that I agree with Saracen, so repeating similar sentiments is preaching to the choir. I am simply saying that the argument, although valid, is exaggerated in my view.

The issues raised, by us, numerous times, don't go away by raising them every time you can. I feel that still complaining about it now is a waste of energy, we've all made our decisions and the next step Microsoft takes will be more closely watched by us all. So far, they seem to be at least trying to address the problem we have highlighted; but in typical Microsoft fashion, I don't think they will get it right. We'll see, I will be getting Windows 9 because it will be free though, the same way I keep getting the newer version of Ubuntu despite never using it long term.

Thanks

looks great

Thanks

It looks alright, but in my opinion they should have just copied the W7 start menu and be done with it. One positive rumour that I've heard is that from W9 on Microsoft will update its OS in a more streamlined fashion - like OS-X and Linux does. That would be a big thing. Just update the kernel, fix the bugs, make small changes and call it W9.1. That way people can get used to using one UI, not having to re-learn how to use Windows every time they release a new version of it.

That said, I'm finished with Microsoft and Windows as far as I'm concerned. I am still *forced* to use Windows XP and 7 for making audio, but that's all I do with them. Everything else is taken care of by Linux Debian Xfce. After like 20 years with Windows. What a relief. The sense of freedom, choice and relief that Linux gives you. Like, "I don't like this UI, I'll try that one." And you don't even have to reinstall anything just to try another UI... you can have multiple UIs with one Linux installation. Brilliant.

Anyway, it's a pleasant surprise to see that Microsoft is finally starting to listen to what their users think. I keep thinking that should have been Windows 8, but I don't care any more. XP and W7 runs my audio studio apps just fine and that's all I need. Cheers!

Registered+
    Thanks

Now lets get this straight

Windows 7 with Nvidia GTX60 runs BF4 perfectly well on full graphics and 3 X monitors

Windows 8.1 with same hardware and low graphocs runs laggy and like a pile of ****

Motherboard EVGA x79 Dark 64Gigs of GSkill 2400 Mbs Ram

Windows 8.1 feels and looks like a pile of ****

Saoory Microsoft have not improved or Fixed anything here and even one of your Major CEO's ends up leaving your company because you are now no longer looking after the product or your customers but only interested in making the next Buck at the cost of anything.

Microsoft ios now in the bin as far as I am concerned and I want nothing more to do with Microsoft.
    As an Microsoft Certified and competent Engineer for 30 years I have now turned my back on this tin pot company and have no further interest in anything they have to offer, I have ditched my exams and will not be upgrading any of my core Microsoft skills and I am just not interested.

Microsoft had the chance to fix this and do something about it and they have not even listened to the very people who spend the money on their products.

Good Bye Microsoft

You turned Crap

Thanks

Looks nice, and I'm really fired up about this, but actually I'm curious if this is going to be brand new OS or next update for Win8 users as 8.1 was.

Registered+
    Thanks

(Windows 3.1 to Windows 7): I try to keep my 1st level of Start Menu folders to <15. I hate all-and-sundry creating yet another 1st level folder for just 1 app (the frequent 40 to 70+ are a big problem). I create a logical set of categories then group similar apps together and use the 2nd level if required for those extra shortcuts (especially those I don't use). This goes back to me using 7 to 9 on a page in DOS based menu on an Osborne XT and newer DOS menu systems pre Win95.

Thanks

I will miss metro, give me quick access to apps, and I don;t have to have my desktop cluttered with icons.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gstrange42 View Post
    I will miss metro, give me quick access to apps, and I don;t have to have my desktop cluttered with icons.
    Same as the start menu then, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gstrange42 View Post
    Sadly metro isn't going anywhere, if you prefer to use it on a desktop or with a K+M you can.
    This time around it seems Microsoft isn't forcing its customers into one box or the other.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Looks workable. Don't like the boxy flat look, but at least not actively annoying any more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information