Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GPU vendors concerned with declining AMD demand

Thanks

Re: GPU vendors concerned with declining AMD demand

I can't find the 480 and 290X in the same chart on TPU but I've found two which use the same methodology (not the identical values for other cards):
    http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290...er_average.gif
    http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeF...er_average.gif

480 = 257W
    290X = 246W

And a bit less again @231W if you stick a decent cooler on it:
    http://tpucdn.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290...er_average.gif

Something ironic about those numbers though is the 680 consuming more than the 7970 despite Nvidia claiming it was in another class:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...ges/slide2.jpg

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

I think what a lot of people are missing here is something you don't see a lot of discussion about here on Hexus.

For a while, the biggest reason people were buying AMD cards, en masse, was for Bitcoin farming. Now that there are companies that make machines dedicated to that purpose, the demand has dropped, and there were a ton of used AMD cards dumped on the aftermarket. There are still loads of them available on Craigslist here in the US, and a fair amount on Ebay. Personally, I wouldn't touch one, but then again, I generally prefer either a warranty on a product, or at least a level of trust of the person I'm buying from.

So on that count, the AMD market is flooded. I really don't think it has much to do with TDP, or temps, or anything remotely related. It might matter to a website full of geeks like us, but to Joe/Jane consumer, it doesn't matter a lick. They want something that works when they turn it on, plays WoW/Minecraft/The Sims, and does it reliably.

Personally, I can't say which company makes the better card. I buy Nvidia due to driver issues from years ago with ATI cards, and haven't felt the need to change. I'm a 1080p gamer, and as long as the card delivers a solid 45-60fps, I'm satisfied. Anything more (for me) is overkill. But I won't buy a video card based on efficiency. My next car? Yes. But if a person can't afford a few extra dollars if need be for a gaming computer, then maybe priorities need to be altered.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    It was the same with the GTX680, a mid-range card masquerading as a high-end. Now ask yourself, how they got away with it....
    Because the press is constantly falling over themselves to laud Nvidia products when they don't release total crap.

Nope, not really, although at the time I was running CFX 5870s......which after a year I sold because I got sick of the bug that went on for 3 years where your mouse cursor corrupted while playing Blizzard titles....but I digress.....why did the 560Ti sell more? Probably as I mentioned before...brand power. You also have the "extras" to take into account. Stereoscopic film playback built into the drivers for free, Physx (if you play any of the titles that use it) and CUDA was starting to raise it's head around then as well.
    You don't recall the 560 Ti, the "Hero of our Times"?

Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti: The Hero of Our Times

As for your "extras" point are you having a laugh? Eyefinity helloo?

And we all laughed when they released it and we saw the price.....but they still sold them.....Brand power maybe?
    You've mentioned that over and over in this post. You also said this previously -

Now, you are looking at AMD cards with the same or less performance and reduced performance, the trade-off now is merely the cost of the card and any value added extras, like the never settle bundles.

It's quite a different situation.
    It's not a different situation. What you are seeing now happened a few years ago except AMD had an even greater lead. The only difference is marketing and if people are too dumb to realise that then there really isn't an awful lot AMD can do about it.

You tell me if they are dumb, you know them! If people want to lay out £500 for a 30% improvement who are you or me to tell them otherwise? Do the tech press know exactly what nVidia are up to? How long did it take them to twig about the 970?
    The tech press don't even TRY to figure out what Nvidia is up to. They just make assumption after assumption without actually doing any digging. This issue with the 970 was discovered months ago in the techreport review and was simply brushed under the carpet.

Thanks

It looks like a 1 month bump at the time the 970/980 was in full swing......I wouldn't draw too much from it yet.
    Read the chart again. Those are 3 month bars as in quarters in a year. The 4th quarter numbers will be out soon and AMD will again show more market share loss to Nvidia. Remember the GTX980/970 was only out about 2 weeks in the third quarter and the fourth quarter will have 90 days (and holiday season) of GTX980/970 availability.

There is a reason AMD keeps dropping prices. Inventory buildup and lack of sales.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo75 View Post
    It's not a different situation. What you are seeing now happened a few years ago except AMD had an even greater lead. The only difference is marketing and if people are too dumb to realise that then there really isn't an awful lot AMD can do about it.
    How about, better marketing? How about better products? How about better QA? How about more time spent optimising titles with devs? How about not dragging their heals for 1-3 years fixing blatant driver bugs (frame pacing, mouse cursors, black screen during install, missing driver modules, etc)?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

How about, better marketing? How about better products? How about better QA? How about more time spent optimising titles with devs? How about not dragging their heals for 1-3 years fixing blatant driver bugs (frame pacing, mouse cursors, black screen during install, missing driver modules, etc)?
    What about Bumpgate? What about Nvidia's laughable Vista drivers? How about their "card killing drivers 1,2"? How about their 3-year wait for proper surround profiles, which they again no longer have? Do you realise the palava you have to go through to set up simple surround profiles on Nvidia cards? How about the dodgy 0.5GB VRAM on the 970?

How much time did Nvidia spend on the Dirt series? How much time did they spend on Tomb Raider? How much time have they spent on Beyond Earth? Your arguments are so 1-sided they are ludicrous.
    Last edited by Jimbo75; 31-01-2015 at 01:34 AM.

7. Received thanks from:

kompukare (31-01-2015)

Thanks

I think AMD will see a big spike in sales over the coming months, and the down turn is probably in some way down to the number of APU's they have sold.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information