Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steam Game Ban: developers gain game player banning powers

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Steam Game Ban: developers gain game player banning powers

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    FFS why is literally everything nowadays instantly met with the downsides ? People are so OBSESSED with finding the bad in everything, it's like being happy about something isn't trendy...

Also, it is completely idiotic to think someone would get banned for criticizing a a game. It is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, but not at all surprising. People just love coming up with scenarios that would outrage many, then act like it was a foregone conclusion. It needs to stop, seriously. No developer in their right mind would ban people for criticism, because the backlash would be immense and swift. But more importantly they wouldn't do it because that's the sort of thing a crazy person does.

Can we please for the love of god stop all trying to instantly think of the worst possible thing that could happen, at this point it's almost like a competition to see who can come up with it. I know it's awesome and all and it's a great way to get attention (because it's guaranteed to be talked about), but you're just ruining **** before it even starts
    Perhaps some others have had less happy experiences than you.

As for getting banned over a bad review, as I don't, and won't, use Steam I have no experience of, or interest in, whether that happens or not.

But I do have experience of a developer threatening, not to 'ban' over a review they didn't like, but to take legal action over it. If you've been threatened with legal action, which requires them to actual spend money and go to court, then don't you think if they could just 'ban' an account, they would have?

The notion that companies have, can, and no doubt will continue to seek to suppress bad publicity/PR is not at all far-fetched. I can tell you that from personal experience.

In my case, by the way, EVERYTHING I had criticised was factual and true, and I had detailed logs, screen captures and photos to prove it. So, after a long discussion with the editor and lawyer, the multinational publishing company I'd written the review for invited the developer to go right ahead and sue, if that's what they wanted to do .... see you in court. The developer must have thought better of it, because that was the end of that.

Thanks

devs never will go to court since that involves spending money... but, sending threat letters and, now, giving bans? yes we wont have to wait long until jim sterling gets banned

Registered+
    Thanks

Totally on the fence on this one. Could be fine to stop cheaters ,or an Orwellian attack on free speech. or both

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

I see no way that this will be abused.../s
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    Why should they give a refund to people that are banned for cheating in their games?
    Because they arbitrarily disable a feature which was advertised as a product feature. It's no longer fit for purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    They don't give refunds to players that stop playing because they are unhappy with the number of cheats playing the game.
    The difference is, that was their personal choice. The feature is still there for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

The only acceptable time an attack on free speech by banning a player from their game over a bad review is if their comments and review are slanderous. Realistically you'd have the right to sue if you were banned because you gave an amicable bad review.

People are still forgetting the developer doesn't control the ban, the valve team does. The devs simply point and hide behind valve saying that the person over there is a nasty man but it's still up to valve to enforce it.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    The only acceptable time an attack on free speech by banning a player from their game over a bad review is if their comments and review are slanderous. Realistically you'd have the right to sue if you were banned because you gave an amicable bad review.

People are still forgetting the developer doesn't control the ban, the valve team does. The devs simply point and hide behind valve saying that the person over there is a nasty man but it's still up to valve to enforce it.
    I'm going to agree with what you say above. Remember that Valve are treading a "glass staircase" with this - if they tread lightly then everyone's happy and we all get along, on the other hand be heavy-footed and you're likely to end up in the basement looking like an idiot!

End of the day, it's not in Valve's interest to go swinging the ban-hammer like a Highland Games contestant. They need punters to use their system and if word gets around that they (Valve) are being heavy-handed/unfair then people will upsticks and leave.

There's a flipside to this though - if a dev is reporting too many people as "cheaters" then doesn't it reflect badly on them? Either their title is too easily "gamed" or they're being jerks. So maybe this "anti-cheater" setup - if done right - is also a way to weed out unscrupulous or plain incompetent devs too.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    There's a flipside to this though - if a dev is reporting too many people as "cheaters" then doesn't it reflect badly on them? Either their title is too easily "gamed" or they're being jerks. So maybe this "anti-cheater" setup - if done right - is also a way to weed out unscrupulous or plain incompetent devs too.
    Same thing applies to the whole critic censorship thing too as I mentioned in my post previously. They could ban the likes of Totalbiscuit/Jim Sterling and to a lesser extent (due to having many accounts) bigger sites like IGN/PCGamer but ultimately, all that achieves is that the critics who have been banned from the game and are now unable to create any sort of response to the game will simply announce that the particular dev is banning critics which is in itself shady.

Chances are nobody will be stupid enough to abuse it, its just a little dark gem in the system that some people may stumble upon and try to abuse.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    There's a flipside to this though - if a dev is reporting too many people as "cheaters" then doesn't it reflect badly on them? Either their title is too easily "gamed" or they're being jerks.
    I don't agree with the 'too easily gamed' or 'cheaters are only using a feature in the game' type comments - just because something can be used in a particular way doesn't mean you have every right to. Cars are weapons - just because I can do a great deal of harm with one doesn't mean I'm OK to. Down that road lies a loss of consumer freedom and control - I'd rather cars (and games) gave us the responsibility that comes with freedom of us and allowed us to just agree to their correct use rather than being forced.

Thanks

If used legitimately to ban cheats, I'd be very happy to see the rights to access the game gone too, without refund. Otherwise, what's the deterrent? Cheat goes and buys it again (with the refund) and carries on as before.

I'd rather the system let quite a few folks slip through the net but solid cases have access to the games online parts removed forever. There's no real need for it you get to a point where people's only entertainment is causing others issues and grief, if it wasn't online it would be seen as being a sociopath.

Have the terms of all games re-written to "proven cheating will result in access to the game being removed" and wait for the ban waves.

A lot of folks seem to go at it with impunity. There's already 0.0054 second completions of the flying school sections in GTA5. That's... pretty clear?

Thanks

Any "oh yeah, they'd totally ban you for criticism" folks need to realise that the immediate backlash from the community for that would sink most developers who tried it. They can remove access to the game but they can't censor critics everywhere. Strongarm tactics would quickly bite back (who hasn't seen an article about "hotel charge people £xxx for bad reviews" for example?).

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    .... Realistically you'd have the right to sue if you were banned because you gave an amicable bad review.

And even if the "right" to sue exists, how "realistic" is it financially, especially if the gamer lives on one continent, and the company they wish to sue is in a jurisdiction on another?

Realistic in theory, maybe, but unless the banned gamer is pretty wealthy, not so much in practice.

Thanks

The game developer is solely responsible for the decision to apply a game ban. Valve only enforces the game ban as instructed by the game developer.
    LOL.

Dev, Ban that guy
    Steam, OK!
    User, Why did you ban me?
    Steam, We don't know!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information