• Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

Re: Microsoft explains Windows 10 upgrade for non-genuine users

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur2 View Post
    The program "Belarc advisor" shows installed keys...will that work?
    Haven't used any of the keyfinder software on 7/8, I used Magic Jellybean previously on XP though, but ye checking the key might work. If it's fake it'll usually be either an OEM key without KB971033 disabled or an MSDN key which is identifiable by the first 5 digits iirc.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    Hey guys. Please excuse me for not reading the article properly, its links, or the forum posts. It's rude, I know But I just wanted to ask - does this mean there is no free upgrade to W10 for those who don't have a registered copy of Windows already? Thanks
    Depends what you mean by not having a registered copy.

Do you have :-

1) No copy of Windows (7, 8+, don't remember if Vista is covered) at all
    2) Legit version of XP or earlier
    3) You have a legit copy of qualifying Windows, but it's not registered
    4) You have qualifying version (7, etc) but it's not legit

As I understand it, answers are

1) No, they're not just giving it away to anyone who wants it.

2) No, free versions only apply to qualifying versions of Windows, not XP and earlier

3) Yes, you get a free version but will have to register your qualifying version, or at least, have it installed and activated, as the upgrade is via Windows Update

4) Yes, you get a "free" upgrade, but if you upgrade a non-genuine version, it'll still be non-genuine after upgrade. The "free" upgrade does NOT convert an illegitimate copy into a legitimate one.

All "as I understand it", and as of the latest info I've seen, but full details, T&Cs etc aren't yet published.

3. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur2 View Post
    The program "Belarc advisor" shows installed keys...will that work?
    Windows 8 certified hardware no longer has the full 25-character CD key attached to the chassis - instead, it embeds the CD key in an ACPI table in the firmware, and the installer can load it at install time.

A second ACPI table may exist, containing WGA activation keys, so the installer can pre-activate your system when you install.

The first table can be extracted using anything that can look at ACPI tables - note that things like Magic Jellybean or Belarc Advisor look at the key of the installed OS, not the key in the firmware, and they might not match up if using pirate install media.

From a Linux booted system (e.g. a live USB stick), "sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM | tail -c 29" will tell you the CD key in the firmware.
    Last edited by directhex; 21-05-2015 at 01:06 AM.

5. Received thanks from:

GuidoLS (21-05-2015)

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post

2) No, free versions only apply to qualifying versions of Windows, not XP and earlier

3) Yes, you get a free version but will have to register your qualifying version, or at least, have it installed and activated, as the upgrade is via Windows Update

4) Yes, you get a "free" upgrade, but if you upgrade a non-genuine version, it'll still be non-genuine after upgrade. The "free" upgrade does NOT convert an illegitimate copy into a legitimate one.

All "as I understand it", and as of the latest info I've seen, but full details, T&Cs etc aren't yet published.
    Only change/addendum would be to option #2 - Legit version of Vista or earlier. Otherwise, everything I've seen posted has indicated that 'as of now' this is the 100% accurate answer, along with your caveat.

ZaO

Ah ok. Well I did have a legit copy of W7 which is installed and registered, but a family member now has that computer. So what I did was use my W7 disc to install W7 on my new build, but it's not registered as the key belongs to the other computer (I'm just getting the nag messages instead). I didn't wanna buy W7 again with W10 so close. So I've just been waiting to see what's gonna happen with it and how much it costs. So it sounds like, without this one activated, I'm not gonna get a free, registered upgrade.

Looks like I'll probably be buying W10 then! Shame Linux support isn't where I was hoping it'd be by this point. My most important program is still only supported on Windows and Mac

Thanks for the great answer though

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    Only change/addendum would be to option #2 - Legit version of Vista or earlier. Otherwise, everything I've seen posted has indicated that 'as of now' this is the 100% accurate answer, along with your caveat.
    So Vista doesn't qualify?

Seems a bit weird, but ... okay. I jumped Vista entirely, so never pay much attention to it.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    Ah ok. Well I did have a legit copy of W7 which is installed and registered, but a family member now has that computer. So what I did was use my W7 disc to install W7 on my new build, but it's not registered as the key belongs to the other computer (I'm just getting the nag messages instead). I didn't wanna buy W7 again with W10 so close. So I've just been waiting to see what's gonna happen with it and how much it costs. So it sounds like, without this one activated, I'm not gonna get a free, registered upgrade.

Looks like I'll probably be buying W10 then! Shame Linux support isn't where I was hoping it'd be by this point. My most important program is still only supported on Windows and Mac

Thanks for the great answer though
    Well, I guess that depends on what version of W7 it was.

If it's OEM, then it's effectively restricted to that original computer, and can't be transferred, registered or, legitimately, activated.

If you bought a RETAIL licence and installed it on that computer, you can transfer the licence to the new computer, but the original then becomes unlicensed, and to comply with the licence (IIRC) you need to remove it from the original.,

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

So Vista doesn't qualify?

Seems a bit weird, but ... okay. I jumped Vista entirely, so never pay much attention to it.
    Other than the fact that it goes totally eol in less than 2 years, and by extension, the hardware becomes too old to support (on an oem level, at any rate. I know more than a few people that still use Vista quite happily, on newer hardware), I can't think of any good reason other than they had to cut it off somewhere, and 2 generations is just as reasonable as 3.
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

11. Received thanks from:

Saracen (21-05-2015)

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Just a PSA, as the story hasn't been posted on Hexus yet, but if you are doing the Insider Preview, and you are using an AMD GPU, it's advised that you do NOT update to build 10122 - there are known crash issues with Spartan/Edge that they hope to have fixed in the next couple of days, but there was enough demand for everything else that MS released the entire update.

MS did not hide this - they made it very clear this was the case hours before the release went to update - there is no ISO for this update. Not sure why Hexus missed this one, as the update was pushed to Windows Update at 10am EDT (GMT -4) - well before the end of most office hours.
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    Just a PSA, as the story hasn't been posted on Hexus yet, but if you are doing the Insider Preview, and you are using an AMD GPU, it's advised that you do NOT update to build 10122 - there are known crash issues with Spartan/Edge that they hope to have fixed in the next couple of days, but there was enough demand for everything else that MS released the entire update.

MS did not hide this - they made it very clear this was the case hours before the release went to update - there is no ISO for this update. Not sure why Hexus missed this one, as the update was pushed to Windows Update at 10am EDT (GMT -4) - well before the end of most office hours.
    Ahhh nice, I'll have to take a look. I finally got round to installing the preview in VM the other day and couldnt find anything in 10074, apparently they shifted the UI around significantly from the original preview, hopefully 10122 is a little more friendly.

ZaO

Well, I guess that depends on what version of W7 it was.

If it's OEM, then it's effectively restricted to that original computer, and can't be transferred, registered or, legitimately, activated.

If you bought a RETAIL licence and installed it on that computer, you can transfer the licence to the new computer, but the original then becomes unlicensed, and to comply with the licence (IIRC) you need to remove it from the original.,
    It's a download version I bought via the cheap student deal thing when I was at college. So I think that's just the same as a normal retail version.. I think it's just W7 Pro Retail. But yeh, I'll let it stay on the other computer instead of nicking that licence back for my self

As for OEM versions. I usually buy them, and I haven't really had much trouble moving them around. I mean, when you consider that upgrading your computer is somehow considered as installing on a different computer. The idea that you can't upgrade your computer for your purchased copy of the OS to remain legit is just crazy, OEM or not. I did phone up MS support one time and they did this remote assistance stuff which I wasn't keen on! But after, the guy told me there is an automated system, which turned out to be way easier! So if my key ever stopped activating because I got a new mobo or something like that, I'd just ring up the automated system, input my original key, and it would give me some other code to type in and let me activate I did that with my Vista OEM version, and my W7 retail version.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

One of the major reasons OEM licences are cheaper than retail is that you cab't legally transfer them to another computer, outside of very limited circumstances. Whether it physically works, or MS activare it, isn't the point - it's a breach of the licence.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Its only a EULA though. Do they even mean much in UK courts? Are Microsoft really going to take you to court for getting one of their operators to re-activate your Windows OEM license? Given the choice, would Microsoft prefer you re-activate your OEM license on a new motherboard or just use one of the other ways to activate without giving MS a penny? (I can tell you now, that they should have re-activated one of mine a few years ago after a mobo died - Had they, I might not have a KMS emulator online now and I might still be subscribing to technet)

I do find the posturing over licenses to be a bit OTT most of the time, yes it's a breach but to put it in perspective, it's considerably less of an offence than speeding, something most people do regularly....and IMO, the whole non-transferable to another machine license should not be legal in the first place.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Its only a EULA though. Do they even mean much in UK courts? Are Microsoft really going to take you to court for getting one of their operators to re-activate your Windows OEM license? Given the choice, would Microsoft prefer you re-activate your OEM license on a new motherboard or just use one of the other ways to activate without giving MS a penny? (I can tell you now, that they should have re-activated one of mine a few years ago after a mobo died - Had they, I might not have a KMS emulator online now and I might still be subscribing to technet)

I do find the posturing over licenses to be a bit OTT most of the time, yes it's a breach but to put it in perspective, it's considerably less of an offence than speeding, something most people do regularly....and IMO, the whole non-transferable to another machine license should not be legal in the first place.
    I don't disagree.

However, they've been explicit that a "non-genuine" licence upgraded gives you a non-genuine new version, and THAT is subject to being identified as such, and dealt with accordingly.

Are MS taking you to court over it? I'd be astonished. But I've had enough people over the years come to me to fix their new probkem with Windows, which is that MS have detected, whatever and however, a "non-genuine" status and the desktop declaration /nag-dialogs that go along with that.

Whether that matters to a user varies. Most home users? Perhaps not. Small businesses where a customer might see it? Well, I'd look very askance if I was consulting a company with a view to engaging them and saw that on their PC desktops. And I know some quite large companies that will kill a supplier agreement stone dead if they saw it.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Its only a EULA though. Do they even mean much in UK courts?
    As long as they don't stomp on any existing rights/laws, yes, just the same as any other contract does.

Putting a different price on licensing per single machine and per multiple non-concurrent machines is perfectly legal and IMHO fairly reasonable. Another example would be the difference in price between a 3 year insurance policy and a 5 year one - it wouldn't be reasonable for the person who bought only the 3 year one to expect insurance for 5 years.

Saying that because you break one law, contracts in general should no longer be binding is a bit odd though. That's all this is - the legal right to have an agreed contract.

As saracen says, they're not likely to go after an individual unless that individual represents something - for example if a larger organisation has to deal with that individual then they will stay clear, for fear that they *would* be targeted by MS.

ZaO

I won't get involved in any possible arguments about whether it's right or wrong, because it's something I've been through a few times already on forums over the years and I don't really have the energy for it anymore. But, I think that telling me I'm not allowed to upgrade my computer because I happened to have paid for a bit of software is ridiculous, and I can't respect that rule.

I do agree that they seem lenient towards individual users, as you guys say. It would be a bad move for them to do that differently. I'm not keen on buying MS software as it is. I don't like the company. But I don't like to pirate anything, so I buy it because I need to use Windows, for now at least. If they decided to deactivate my licence because I installed some new hardware, I'm not sure I'd bother buying Windows from them again, and I imagine a whole bunch of others would do the same..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information