Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microsoft publishes video to show off built-in Windows 10 apps

Thanks

Re: Microsoft publishes video to show off built-in Windows 10 apps

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Given the implications of some statements in their privacy agreement and service policy, they haven't just wandered over the line but marched emphatically miles past it.
    For some reason when I read their new service agreement I couldn't shake the image of the Child Catcher from the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Treacle Tart and Ice Cream! All FREE Today!!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    (crossy: Why not just buy a copy of Acronis (or similar)? From what I've seen it's better than the usual built-in ones anyway.)
    1. Doesn't support Windows 10 yet
    2. Costs money
    3. Needs custom PE boot disk to restore, even more custom if you want to store your backups on a LAN

Personally I love being able to boot from a Windows DVD or network boot via WDS and then just restore an image if required.
    #2 and #3 are unarguable (although I'm pretty cool about using a custom boot disk to recover - can't see the issue of that over a Windows DVD, or rather, Windows USB). But #1 isn't correct, Acronis True Image does support Windows 10, at least according to this, which says:
    Acronis True Image 2015
    Acronis has released new build 6613 which supports Windows 10. The software has been successfully tested on Windows 10 Insider Preview. Update your Acronis True Image (see this article for detailed instructions on updating). The update is available for Acronis True Image 2015 and Acronis True Image Unlimited users free of charge.
    Unfortunately I'm currently running last years version which, the article claims, "Stable functioning of older products on Windows 10 is not guaranteed."

Rat nuggets!

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Well I think I'm understanding MS's approach to monetisation, they're going to kill us with adverts which we can't close...of course we can get rid of them for monthly microtransactions or yearly subscriptions (God I hate microtransactions) . Even Solitaire isn't immune and this was a free game included in every other version of the OS.... how long until things like media playback of our own video's/music or the email/calendar app get this 'feature'. Also notice this aspect of the os isn't shown it the advert lol

This is not the way to go because seriously I'll just stick with what I've got if that's the case or move to linux, I hate adverts and there is no way I'm going into a subscription based model on the OS of my computer. It's almost like MS want people to stay on windows 7....

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Well I think I'm understanding MS's approach to monetisation, they're going to kill us with adverts which we can't close...of course we can get rid of them for monthly microtransactions or yearly subscriptions (God I hate microtransactions) . Even Solitaire isn't immune and this was a free game included in every other version of the OS.... how long until things like media playback of our own video's/music or the email/calendar app get this 'feature'. Also notice this aspect of the os isn't shown it the advert lol

This is not the way to go because seriously I'll just stick with what I've got if that's the case or move to linux, I hate adverts and there is no way I'm going into a subscription based model on the OS of my computer. It's almost like MS want people to stay on windows 7....
    It's an annoyance. One that's easily removed. Yes, removing it is also an annoyance. But it's possible - even easy. I've said multiple times that the majority of the apps in the store from MS are freemium - the new buzzword for free with ads. There's an equal number (if not more) that are just free, *IF* one desires to go through the store itself. There are literally 1000's of other freeware options out there that require nothing more than a browser and your ability to find them with a search engine. On the whole, Windows is pretty much purely agnostic when it comes to the source of the installed software, and as long as it's the right architecture, and doesn't annoy your a/v and anti-spyware, you're good to go.

OTOH, the ads start off short, and never exceed 30 seconds, and I've never had a repeat in the same session. That's for the MS Jigsaw program. I prefer SolSuite for my solitaire fix - far better game, hundreds more choices, better challenges, etc. As for stamping an ad on to the software made by someone else, there's no way they could get away with it legally. And media center appears to work just fine with everything from normal DVD's down to MP3's. And there's no ads. Looks just like the original, plain Jane Media Player from the Win98 days in form (if not function).

Thanks

I quite like the idea of free add supported versions (freemium), it gives you a chance to try out the software and if you like it you can have it without the annoying adds.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy
    Unfortunately I'm currently running last years version which, the article claims, "Stable functioning of older products on Windows 10 is not guaranteed."

Rat nuggets!
    Sounds like standard CYA to me. It might not be guaranteed , but that doesn't mean it won't work perfectly well.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Which protocol is it using? I had issues with IMAP.
    All of them.

Reformatting fixed it, but what a crappy solution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information