Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows will be third placed OS ecosystem by 2017 says Gartner

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Windows will be third placed OS ecosystem by 2017 says Gartner

Which is exactly what I'm looking forward to!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daddacool View Post
    People replace their phones a lot more frequently than they replace their computers!
    Exactly this. Say, you replace your phone once a year, and replace your PC (requiring a new Windows license) once every 5 years. You need to have phone sales outmatching PC sales at 5:1 just to maintain a steady-state install base!

Raw sales numbers tell you zip about install base without ALSO knowing:
    - The current install base
    - The EOL rate of each category.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple have been very successful in building an infrastructure with near seamless handover from one device to another.

Google have also gone down a similar route, initially with Google Docs, Google Contacts and Google calendar, with the added plus that calendar and docs are not limited to Android devices.

Given the success, it's not surprising to find Microsoft doing the same thing for domestic consumers.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
    Exactly this. Say, you replace your phone once a year, and replace your PC (requiring a new Windows license) once every 5 years. You need to have phone sales outmatching PC sales at 5:1 just to maintain a steady-state install base!

I think there are a couple of flaws in that:

1/ Whose fault is it that PCs are fine for 5 years? Where are the new must have features, the innovation, the value for money to make me want a new one?
    2/ Phones are good for a few years these days, and I think most people in the UK at least are on a 2 year contract that ties them to a phone for 2 years. Some like me will go SIM only to keep their phone going longer (I got 3 years out of the HTC One-X before I broke it), and while some will upgrade every 6 months to a year those phones get sold on to other people so they aren't EOL just re-used.

So allowing for old phones going on ebay and getting re-used after 2 years of use by the initial user (and I think the replacement battery trade on amazon and ebay show this is a healthy market) I am going to say I expect a phone to last 3 years.

Having to outsell phones 5:3 isn't so impressive a task, and easily explained by the fact that new phones have better processors, sensors, radios, batteries and usability software features than older ones whereas PCs will probably benefit from a graphics card update after a couple of years but otherwise are just stagnant. For that I blame Intel and their obsession with expensive ultrabook machines. They bandy around the word "innovation" but always apply it to things like power consumption that is really not an innovation at all just an expected path of improvement.

OFC if you look at the true innovations that Intel have come up with in the past you get Itanium, Larrabee graphics, the stupidly expensive Thunderbolt that doesn't quite do what people want.

I can't think of anything past M.2 SSD that has happened in the last 5 years, and that isn't enough to force people to upgrade. APUs I will concede are an innovation, but not one I want to pay money for so what is the point.

Sorry for the rant, but I think I needed to get that out of my system

Thanks
    • whatif's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel 4th gen NUC
      • CPU:
      • i3 4010u Intel NUC
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 2400MHz HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung XP941 256GB, 800GB Intel DC 3700
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4th gen i3 graphics
      • PSU:
      • Intle NUC power brick
      • Case:
      • Morex NUC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" or Samsung 32" TV
      • Internet:
      • Cable

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    It's not even the marketsize, it's the engagement.

What is amazing is the 'low friction' people have for mobile apps, compared with desktop ones. Something that people wouldn't bother with on a desktop, they would for a mobile device.
    I have noticed that. I still only have the standard factory ones on my mobile (Samsung S3), although all my friends have filled their phones with them, most of them they never use or only used a couple of times.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Servers are dominated by Linux, not Windows, one of the things that makes ARM servers viable. If you look at the support list of past Windows versions, at some point every major and some minor processor has had native Windows support, but it only lasts a few years before Microsoft pull the plug. No-one in their right mind would install Windows onto anything other than AMD64, but thankfully Linux has a good stable support of pretty much everything so servers are fine.
    Unless most Windows servers have been replaced by Linux in the last few years, I don't think that's correct. In fact, looking around, I cannot see any real data on the split.

In my ~25 years working in the industry I have yet to work anywhere that has more then a token amount of Linux servers (nearly always web and external DNS), including the University I work at currently. If your running all in-house written apps, I can see it, otherwise I have always found the server OSes to be driven by the application demands of the users....and so many of them still only support Windows back-ends.....more and more will work with Oracle databases but then they normally require a Windows application server and IIS anyway....and that's before we talk about how prevalent apps like Exchange are.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Really? For me it's the other way around. In the late 90s/early 2000s it was all AIX/Solaris/HP-UX. Now it's all RHEL/CENTOS.

Out of choice I would tend to deploy on *IX as they can be run headless so no CPU cycles being munched by a GUI. That's obviously for platform agnostic services such as JAVA / Web / DB / general services.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Unless most Windows servers have been replaced by Linux in the last few years, I don't think that's correct. In fact, looking around, I cannot see any real data on the split.

In my ~25 years working in the industry I have yet to work anywhere that has more then a token amount of Linux servers (nearly always web and external DNS), including the University I work at currently. If your running all in-house written apps, I can see it, otherwise I have always found the server OSes to be driven by the application demands of the users....and so many of them still only support Windows back-ends.....more and more will work with Oracle databases but then they normally require a Windows application server and IIS anyway....and that's before we talk about how prevalent apps like Exchange are.
    I think it depends on scale. The really big systems I have used have been IBM Power running AIX (or maybe Linux), because if you have a machine with billions of pounds worth of transactions going through it it is worth dropping a million on the best hardware to make sure it just doesn't ever fall over. Down from there, if you are running some sort of private cloud then the platform of choice seems to be VMware hosting RedHat Enterprise Linux VMs.

Web development is done on LAMP stacks, and if something is presented on the web it doesn't matter what the back end OS is so people I have worked with have chosen Linux.

Google, Amazon and Facebook run Linux clouds.

Even people running hosted Minecraft servers expect to be on a Linux host.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edzieba View Post

My last phone was six years old when I replaced it, the one before that was 4years old. the one before that was 4years old, the one before that was 6 years old. I expect this one to last at least 4 if not five years.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I think it depends on scale. The really big systems I have used have been IBM Power running AIX (or maybe Linux), because if you have a machine with billions of pounds worth of transactions going through it it is worth dropping a million on the best hardware to make sure it just doesn't ever fall over. Down from there, if you are running some sort of private cloud then the platform of choice seems to be VMware hosting RedHat Enterprise Linux VMs. Web development is done on LAMP stacks, and if something is presented on the web it doesn't matter what the back end OS is so people I have worked with have chosen Linux. Google, Amazon and Facebook run Linux clouds.
    That's pretty much my experience too - and I used to work for HP Enterprise Services. Yes, there's a lot of Windows servers out there but to claim that there's only "a token amount of Linux servers" is not something I'm seeing. I'm actually seeing Linux boxes replacing AIX, Solaris, and especially HP/UX boxes, but also some defectors from Windows too. Also seeing moves from IIS to Apache and Tomcat.

Then again I've got a soft spot for the IBM pSeries/System p - as their virtualisation and RAS features make 'em pretty darn near perfect ... if you can afford the "entry fee".

One thing intrigues me though. Microsoft seem to be positioning their non-OS stuff to be more platform neutral. So is that a reaction to the realisation that people ARE moving to Windows Server alternatives, and MS still want a slice of the pie. Or are they doing it so that non Windows people start to consider Microsoft's wares. For example, I'm hearing some good compliments for using C# to do Linux-specific developments, as opposed to using Perl/Python or more usually Java .

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    That's pretty much my experience too - and I used to work for HP Enterprise Services. Yes, there's a lot of Windows servers out there but to claim that there's only "a token amount of Linux servers" is not something I'm seeing. I'm actually seeing Linux boxes replacing AIX, Solaris, and especially HP/UX boxes, but also some defectors from Windows too. Also seeing moves from IIS to Apache and Tomcat.
    I didn't claim it, I stated that's my experience. And while the places I have worked are not the largest in the world, we are talking about 500-1000 server real-estates.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    One thing intrigues me though. Microsoft seem to be positioning their non-OS stuff to be more platform neutral. So is that a reaction to the realisation that people ARE moving to Windows Server alternatives, and MS still want a slice of the pie..
    I think they are trying to drag people back into the MS eco system.

I believe the plan is something like:

See all that money you are paying for VMware, well a Windows Server license is cheaper and comes with Free HyperV, your RedHat VMs will run fine on it.
    Performance isn't quite there? You need SMB3, why not throw out your NAS and use Windows servers for your VM storage.

If enough people fall for the bait, then I expect just like MS did with NT vs Netware the price of HyperV will go through the roof. Or as someone at the time Windows Client License costs shot up said, "they close the door, turn on the gas and start selling gas masks". I hope people can see thorough it this time, but Netware was a long time ago.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I didn't claim it, I stated that's my experience. And while the places I have worked are not the largest in the world, we are talking about 500-1000 server real-estates.
    Oops, sorry, picked you up wrong - my bad.

Too busy playing with my 1400+ AIX/Linux boxes...

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information