Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Surface Book Nvidia GeForce GPU details emerge

Thanks

Re: Microsoft Surface Book Nvidia GeForce GPU details emerge

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    It's not even a 940M... it's slower and has less bandwidth, you could maybe call it a 935M, well considering there isn't really any upgrade between the 940 and the 840 you could call it an 835 lol.

When you think about what that is pretty pointless especially with the hi res screen, not to mention the iris/iris pro gpu's in the latest skylake cpu's probably isn't far off performance wise. They could have at least stretched to a 2gb 950M considering the price etc.
    940M uses slow DDR3, this one uses GDDR5. So no, you cannot call it an 835. You can drive dual 4K displays with intel HD graphics plus the internal panel, so clearly the resolution is not an issue here, contrary to your assertion. Quite simply the windows UI isn't GPU intensive, and since this isn't a gaming laptop, you're not going to game on it at this resolution. Which leaves applications like adobe and premiere, where resolution of the UI is not relevant as the graphics performance is used for the encoding, not the UI. So you're off the mark here yet again.

Lastly as far as iris, it has to rely on system RAM if you use that, which is even worse on portables because it is the crappy low power LPDDR3, so your claims that it isn't "far off" performance wise compared to iris, do not really hold here. Did I leave something out? I guess what you're saying is: it is not as good as you hoped, but I fail to see a product in this class that tops it? I mean by all means point it out because the closest you can come up to get a discrete GPU is a 15inch ultrabook workstation, but then you're gaining a LOT of weight, as much as 1/3rd more.

From the looks of it, it blows integrated graphics out of the water, and it is a decent GPU for the ultra light class. I agree that it would have been nicer if it had 2GB of GDDR5, but I would not say it is pointless as the competition in its class gets by with far, far less.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Always makes me smile when i read reports that Microsoft have yet again sold out, you would think seeing as how every previous version of the Surface have also sold out that they would've worked out stock levels by now.

They maybe selling out but statistics show they still have a pitiful share of the market, if Microsoft wants to change that they've got a lot of work to do on the supply side of things.
    I suspect deliberately reducing stock levels to be able to say they've 'sold out' is a bit of marketing as well. Gives a positive image of the desirability of the product.

I do like the Surface Book though, just wish I had more money to spend on something like that after having blown my cash on building a gaming desktop...

Thanks

They can do a thicker keyboard slice with a 980m if the wanted. They chose this because they wanted battery life and some GPU compute for pro type users.

If you want top mobile performance there's the Razer Blade 14.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information