Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QOTW: Which high-tech kitchen gadgets are worth buying?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Normanyakuza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Q77AX Embedded ATX Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Pentium dual-Core E5200 @2.50ghz 2.49ghz
      • Memory:
      • Unkhown
      • Storage:
      • 1GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • G33/G31 express chipset family
      • PSU:
      • Unkhown
      • Case:
      • Acer Aspire
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7 Home premium 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer x193HQ
      • Internet:
      • Wireless

Re: QOTW: Which high-tech kitchen gadgets are worth buying?

High-tech toaster

Thanks

Another vote for the Panasonic breadmaker. We use ours at least once a week and it always delivers a good loaf, though we do need to experiment with more flavour options.

One thing we've never managed to find is a good bread slicer, which suggests we should stick to a good bread knife. We bought a 'Kitchen Craft Expanding Stay Fresh Acrylic Bread Keeper' a while back, and though it helped achieve thin even slices to begin with the plastic cutting guides all eventually started to break.

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    a soup maker - even the kids can make something decent in under 30 minutes. And no, we didn't buy one of those £100+ Cuisinart ones, ours got bought at a food show and was half that price.
    I like the sound of that as I'm always struggling to think of what to make other than sandwiches for lunch. Which soup maker do you use?

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Only one high-tech thing I use in my kitchen, and that's my phone. And that's only because I don't have a clock in the kitchen.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

<60s sexism> None, because the kitchen is for wimmin </60s sexism>

On a more serious note, I can't think of many. My wife and I bought most of the stuff we needed for the kitchen with our wedding money, and it's the sort of stuff that doesn't wear out very quickly. Internet connected kitchen doo-dahs? Nah.

Edit - after re-reading the question, the only 'gadgets' I see as essential are Microwave, Dishwasher, and possibly a hand-blender.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    <60s sexism> None, because the kitchen is for wimmin </60s sexism>

On a more serious note, I can't think of many. My wife and I bought most of the stuff we needed for the kitchen with our wedding money, and it's the sort of stuff that doesn't wear out very quickly. Internet connected kitchen doo-dahs? Nah.

Edit - after re-reading the question, the only 'gadgets' I see as essential are Microwave, Dishwasher, and possibly a hand-blender.
    I'm not sure "worth buying", as per the question, and "essential" are quite the same thing.

Not many gadgets are essential but I take "worth buying" as very subjective. It's very possible, even almost certain, that some things "worth buying" to me aren't worth it to some other people, and vice versa.

For instance, several hundred pounds on my favourite blender was money well spent, but a new model iPhone? Hell, no. But I'd bet a lot of people are aghast at the notion of £500 on a kitchen blender, and may well be posting that using their £600 smartphone.

Registered+
    Thanks

I don't have any kitchen gadget that could be described as high tech. Even my espresso machine is manually operated and it makes the best espressos I have ever tasted. Kitchens just don't need high tech.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I did have a bread maker, but I get far better results using a dough hook in a mixer, mainly because I have control over the proving time, but as all the processes are manual, it does take a lot more effort, so I tend to batch bake three or four loaves at a time, then slice and freeze the results. And while nothing comes quite as close as that crust off the loaf freshly out of the oven, the thawed slices come close. For best result leave the loaf 24 hours before slicing and freezing.
    I don't tend to freeze the output of my breadmaker - but I'm going to agree 100% with the 24-hours-before-slicing. Maybe I'm making my mixes overly moist...

Quote Originally Posted by Parm View Post
    Another vote for the Panasonic breadmaker. We use ours at least once a week and it always delivers a good loaf, though we do need to experiment with more flavour options.
    I'm going to point my scoffing kids at that part of your post and say "see, it's not just me who wants to "experiment" with bread mixes!". Thanks for the backup!
    One thing we've never managed to find is a good bread slicer, which suggests we should stick to a good bread knife. We bought a 'Kitchen Craft Expanding Stay Fresh Acrylic Bread Keeper' a while back, and though it helped achieve thin even slices to begin with the plastic cutting guides all eventually started to break.
    I've been looking in Lakeland etc for something decent in that line - mainly to prevent the "triangular wedge by Friday" syndrome - Monday's slice is a bit squint, so Tuesday's is a bit more to compensate, etc. I'll keep my eye open for that one though.

PS a tip I got give was to try a cake knife for a new loaf rather than the traditional bread "saw". Apparently a cake knife's mixture of teeth copes better with soft bread than the normal knife.
    I like the sound of that as I'm always struggling to think of what to make other than sandwiches for lunch. Which soup maker do you use?
    The one we've got is this one: Arkay Sales "intelligent" Soupmaker. There's no way in heck that I'd pay £99 for it, given that the Cusinart etc ones are only £20 more - I'd pay the extra and get the increased feature set of the "fancy" ones. Arkay do a lot of these food and home-improvement shows, where invariably it's reduced down to the £50-60 mark (with a "freebie" or two), and that's a more realistic price.

If you'd prefer a more recognized brand then I'd tentatively point you to the Morphy Richards 48822 Soupmaker - list price for this is £60, (Amazon have it for £45), and that looks pretty similar (minor cosmetic differences) to the Arkay unit. Also note that the M.R. unit is well thought of on Amazon - 4.5 stars from 1930 reviews. M.R. also do a more capable one (slightly more expensive obviously) that can sauté too

It's my missus that makes the main use of it. She usually buys (after a quiet chat with the Arkay guy) a "soup mix" collection of veg from the supermarket, add in a stock cube dissolved in hot water and leave it to it. Typically she'll put on a mix first thing, and then just pour a portion into a sealable container (usually one of these although ours were Systema ones from Morrison's) and head out for work. The rest cools in the "kettle" until she comes back, when it's ideal to slap into some tubs and stuff it in the freezer - minus a portion for the following day. Similarly, I've done a pretty decent tomato soup with two cans of tomatoes (I like it thick), small amount of stock and a dash of Tabasco sauce.
    Last edited by crossy; 09-11-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

8. Received thanks from:

Parm (10-11-2015)

Thanks

a quick bread maker, having 1 fresh loaf a year from the supermarket can get on your nerves

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

I've changed my mind.

This is essential:

Thanks

that'd go nice with my R2D2 egg cup!

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I have a few things I would call a "gadget" in my kitchen - but not much, as things like ovens, blenders, food processors etc are more appliances to me. There was a great idea of "smart ovens" a few years ago which never really took off - ready meals and some products from M&S had a barcode on them which your oven could scan, and it would then cook it perfectly every time as the barcode told it the length, temperature etc for that specific model of oven.

Most of the rest of the "gadgets" I think would be useful are IoT type things like remote controlled slow cookers, or smart fridges that can tell you when your food is going off.

The vast majority that people buy are laziness machines - I am not meaning to get at anyone here but a "soup maker" is a really good example. To make soup you chuck ingredients in a pan, leave it to simmer for an hour and then blend. To use a soup maker you do exactly the same but you don't pour the ingredients into your blender. It saves 1-2 minutes of effort, and leaves a £50-£100 hole in your pocket (and you can't make big batches). It's one of those gadgets that I see in a shop and think "oh thats cool, i'd like one", until I stop to think about it

I think the remote control thing has legs though - I'm tempted to add a Z-wave enabled socket to the kitchen for that purpose. Could let my Pi control my heating and cooking my Pies then

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    The vast majority that people buy are laziness machines - I am not meaning to get at anyone here but a "soup maker" is a really good example. To make soup you chuck ingredients in a pan, leave it to simmer for an hour and then blend. To use a soup maker you do exactly the same but you don't pour the ingredients into your blender. It saves 1-2 minutes of effort, and leaves a £50-£100 hole in your pocket (and you can't make big batches). It's one of those gadgets that I see in a shop and think "oh thats cool, i'd like one", until I stop to think about it
    Funnily enough that's exactly the initial argument my missus deployed when I suggested a dishwasher, (following up with various eco reasons why it was a bad idea). Not bigging up the soup maker, but she's expressed the opinion that is does save time (only 30 minute cook per batch and about 5 minutes "prep" on top of that) plus once it's "loaded" there's zero involvement, so she's free to make beds, brush teeth, yell at our two teenagers to get out of bed, etc while it's "doing it's thing". So more a time-saving widget than a "laziness" one.

The smart fridge sounded like a good idea, but personally the idea of having to scan barcodes and enter expiry dates sounded utterly daft. Couldn't someone just incorporate product and expiries into a Q-Code, or better still some RFID type device? Then the act of putting thing in the fridge also "books it in". Kids are of the opinion that tablet with in-built stand is a good idea - especially if someone could make one that was capable of being controlled totally hands off - be ideal for following those "gotta try" recipes.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    The smart fridge sounded like a good idea, but personally the idea of having to scan barcodes and enter expiry dates sounded utterly daft. Couldn't someone just incorporate product and expiries into a Q-Code, or better still some RFID type device? Then the act of putting thing in the fridge also "books it in". Kids are of the opinion that tablet with in-built stand is a good idea - especially if someone could make one that was capable of being controlled totally hands off - be ideal for following those "gotta try" recipes.
    I should probably clarify that I have a lot of laziness gadgets - the grater attachment for my Kenwood chef would certainly qualify, as would my dishwasher, electric tin opener etc So I wholeheartedly support many of them and wouldn't judge anyone for owning one....

RFID is a good/simple idea that i've seen demo'd, but the issue is the cost per unit - adding 1-2p per packet it a big deal, along with the associated environmental/recycling issues. I have seen QR code versions which are better, but again have not really taken off in my experience.

Thanks

And now I want a Panasonic bread maker.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post

I just make soup in the blender. Bung ingredients in, blend for 10 minutes, out comes steaming hot soup, and made with only fresh ingedients. And no, there isn't even a heater element, never mind a "soup setting". It's just friction from fast blades.

Or, make a smoothie in the blender. Or ice cream and frozen yoghurt. Or rice flour. And so, so many more.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Graywoodford's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MAO Z87i AC
      • CPU:
      • 87 4770k
      • Memory:
      • 16gb 1600 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 250gb ssd, 2 x 2 tb and 8 tb nas
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gtx980
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 760AX
      • Case:
      • Corsair 380t
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus rog swift

if you can find them cheap get an air fryer, great things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information