Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The first major update to Windows 10 rolls out today

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: The first major update to Windows 10 rolls out today

One of the worst upgrade of Windows I ever encountered. 3 different PC/notebooks, 2 different methods of upgrade(in-place & clean) all encountered Blank Screen problem. Complete lock out the BIOS & rendered the system unusable. Clear BIOS to default via removing CMOS battery fixed the PC, still working on notebooks.

Digusting. If Microsoft wants to interfere with EFI secure mechanism, at least do it competently!!!

ps: Affected systems all have discrete video card. Blank screen as the video output was sent to extended displays or some unknown display output. Microsoft passed the buck to manufacturers....Nice one Microsoft.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    EDIT: It would seem from some early reports that this update is resetting peoples default programs and other settings like telemetry and privacy.
    If that is true that is just showing the way MS are 'changing' their business model. With the auto updates there is literally nothing a non enterprise user can do about it and I'm fully expecting some of this rubbish to sift down to older versions... We no longer pay for the os (ignore the free update, the os still costs money for new pc's) and get to use it, we now pay for the os and then get charged a 'rent' via being advertising data. Seriously privacy is becoming a lost cause if you rely on the internet, a pc or hell leave the house (cctv, gps on phones etc)....the biggest issue is that most people are seemingly perfectly ok with it

My NDA's are going to be a pita to maintain at this rate.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    If that is true that is just showing the way MS are 'changing' their business model. With the auto updates there is literally nothing a non enterprise user can do about it and I'm fully expecting some of this rubbish to sift down to older versions... We no longer pay for the os (ignore the free update, the os still costs money for new pc's) and get to use it, we now pay for the os and then get charged a 'rent' via being advertising data. Seriously privacy is becoming a lost cause if you rely on the internet, a pc or hell leave the house (cctv, gps on phones etc)....the biggest issue is that most people are seemingly perfectly ok with it

My NDA's are going to be a pita to maintain at this rate.
    This isn't true, even without going into hidden settings on pro you can choose to defer upgrades, which should prevent updates such as this one being downloaded/installed.I'm unsure if the option extends to home users but as a small business with NDAs etc you'll likely need pro for Bitlocker and suchlike.

(The setting I changed in group policy is to prevent automatic restarts due to installation of regular Windows update in case I wasn't clear)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    This isn't true, even without going into hidden settings on pro you can choose to defer upgrades, which should prevent updates such as this one being downloaded/installed.I'm unsure if the option extends to home users but as a small business with NDAs etc you'll likely need pro for Bitlocker and suchlike.

(The setting I changed in group policy is to prevent automatic restarts due to installation of regular Windows update in case I wasn't clear)
    Not sure what part you're saying isn't true but if it's the resetting of peoples default programs and other settings like telemetry and privacy, if that's incorrect then why are people reporting that's what happened when they installed the November update?

There are even reports that the update has uninstalled some of their programs and overwriting drivers they've installed manually, obviously I'm only going on what random people have said about their experience with the November update but aren't those the very people that Microsoft are relying on to beta test these updates for their corporate customers.

If the reports turn out to be correct it shows a massive disregard for customers IMHO, especially when Microsoft made a big thing about users being in control of their privacy only to go changing the choices their customers have made.

Thanks

I have installed the November update and none of my privacy options had changed though I noticed a couple of new ones had been added.

However Windows did say it uninstalled a program because it was "incompatible" CPU-Z of all things, but I could run it from the shortcut just fine so not sure on that one.

However it did mess up my Office activation. Everytime starting an Office app the activation box came up even though it was already activated, had to run Office repair to get that fixed.

All programs installed by myself now say "new" next to them.

And yes it did reset the default programs, ie Firefox was no longer the default browser.
    Jon

Thanks

It's not all bad news, owners of Lenovo computers have reported that apparently the update removes certain preinstalled software that was otherwise not removable.

Thanks
    • Marenghi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock X370
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 1700 @ 3.85
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 @ 3000
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 120GB + 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro 480 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600 watts
      • Case:
      • Corsair 550d
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 24" 144hz + Viewsonic 24"
      • Internet:
      • 100MB fibre

installed the update today, it broke my sound card drivers, anti virus and reverted a few default programs. i really hope steam OS takes off as gaming is the only activity that is stopping me from getting rid of this rubbish.

on the plus side the update has finally addressed the issue when browsing 'all apps' in the start menu whose name is too long

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    However Windows did say it uninstalled a program because it was "incompatible" CPU-Z of all things, but I could run it from the shortcut just fine so not sure on that one.
    Oh that's just brilliant.. uninstall the programs without even asking.... I just did a reinstall from scratch on one of my pc's with some newer versions of software I use (couldn't use an image backup) and by the time I'd dealt with updates and setting them all up it was getting on for 3 DAYS (yeah I have no idea why it should take that long either). I can just see it now, I do an update to the OS and it removes some of these long install programs, even though they'll likely still work meaning I can't work for several days... So this is another reason for me not to upgrade to windows 10 then.

And yes it did reset the default programs, ie Firefox was no longer the default browser.
    that's more of their desperate 'please use edge' rubbish I suspect

Thanks

More intrusion on our PRIVACY FULL OF MS SPYWARE
    TomG

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mapesdhs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock P55 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 870 @ 4270MHz (203.3 x 21)
      • Memory:
      • Mushkin Blackline 4GB (2x2) DDR3/2030
      • Storage:
      • 60GB OCZ Vertex2 + 1TB SATA (Spinpoint F3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x EVGA GTX 460 1GB FTW SLI
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win7/U/64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 24" LP2475W
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbit

Jonj1611's comments sum it up for me, Windows is still a mess when it comes to personal
    control of how one's system functions. How did we come to this? The OS should never have
    been allowed to become the commercial focus of home computer technology. I'm sticking
    with Win7 for the time being.

Thanks
    • devBunny's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P9X79 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7-3930
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x GTX 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ZX1000W Gold
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Elysium
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 and Win XP in VMs
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell 2410M 1920x1200 IPS

Boots even faster! That's great. Now my PC can be waiting that much longer for me to get back to the desk with my first cup of coffee. Benefits all round. :-))

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Not sure what part you're saying isn't true but if it's the resetting of peoples default programs and other settings like telemetry and privacy, if that's incorrect then why are people reporting that's what happened when they installed the November update?

There are even reports that the update has uninstalled some of their programs and overwriting drivers they've installed manually, obviously I'm only going on what random people have said about their experience with the November update but aren't those the very people that Microsoft are relying on to beta test these updates for their corporate customers.

If the reports turn out to be correct it shows a massive disregard for customers IMHO, especially when Microsoft made a big thing about users being in control of their privacy only to go changing the choices their customers have made.
    I meant the bit about auto updates and non enterprise customers being able to do nothing about it - disabling auto upgrades is still possible for non-enterprise customers :-)

However I'm not defending a system which is designed to change decisions users have already made s if that is the case.

Thanks

Got an Acer aspire V Nitro Black edition laptop the other day, came with Win10 home. Did the updates, worked just fine.....for about 30min then became unstable.

Wiped, put Win 10 enterprise on it (had it on previous xps laptop) and working much fast and without stability issues.
    I'll be staying clear of Win 10 for a while yet if it;s not enterprise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information