Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 17 to 28 of 28

Thread: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

  1. #17
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,873
    Thanks
    1,833
    Thanked
    3,335 times in 2,679 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I really am not a fan of the iphones over processed photos though. I don't regard it as a good camera in any way just average. Many cheaper phones do as good if not better but people like how the photos look
    Which iphone? The different models produce quite different results. Wife has a 6 and while they are processed they largely match what most people would do in PP anyway, and the base quality is quite significantly higher than my phone (which is half the price, so not a huge surprise).

  2. #18
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I really am not a fan of the iphones over processed photos though. I don't regard it as a good camera in any way just average. Many cheaper phones do as good if not better but people like how the photos look
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Which iphone? The different models produce quite different results. Wife has a 6 and while they are processed they largely match what most people would do in PP anyway, and the base quality is quite significantly higher than my phone (which is half the price, so not a huge surprise).
    LOL! I am quite impressed with the camera on my Motorola, but then again the iPad camera is pretty good, especially low light performance, which is just as well as it hasn't any flash!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  3. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    183 times in 153 posts

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    To answer both the above...
    I'd like to do my own processing rather than what Apple decides I should do, and because of this I often can't get the results I'd like. The jpg engine is very harsh and loses a lot of detail, but then again I'm probably not your average person. I also miss the sd card useage which I have on my Note 3. I can just pop the sd card out and transfer the files something which saves me ages if it's a video file. Yup mileage varies, the iphone camera is adequate for many people and I realise this but it's not adequate for me usually and much prefer the results from my Note 3 which strangely has a Sony sensor too
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  4. #20
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    To answer both the above...
    I'd like to do my own processing rather than what Apple decides I should do, and because of this I often can't get the results I'd like. The jpg engine is very harsh and loses a lot of detail, but then again I'm probably not your average person. I also miss the sd card useage which I have on my Note 3. I can just pop the sd card out and transfer the files something which saves me ages if it's a video file. Yup mileage varies, the iphone camera is adequate for many people and I realise this but it's not adequate for me usually and much prefer the results from my Note 3 which strangely has a Sony sensor too
    That's fair enough, but I don't use either camera for anything other than snapshots, I will always use a 'proper' camera where I have full control over the basics such as focus, exposure time and aperture, attributes that I have no control over on a tablet or phone for anything serious. So anything I take with either device is only really for quick and dirty as a picture postcard to a friend, and for display on a small screen the degree of compression is pretty much irrelevant. And the degree of post processing you can do on a jog is pretty limited anyway.

    That said, the images I get from both the tablet and the Motorola are surprisingly good, given the inherent limitations of the optical system.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  5. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    11 times in 11 posts

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    I too have seen many people with smashed iPhone screens, but then again I have seen that with a lot of other smart Phones. Although in my travels I see considerably more people using iPhones, compared to the other manufacturers, so that would make sense to me.

    The smash resistance of a phone screen isn't high up on my list of desires, if i were working on a building site, or was just generally clumsy (as some people are), then i would aim for a phone that could put up with my inability to grasp a relatively small and light smartphone. Replacing a £500+ phone every time that would happen wouldn't be a laughing matter.

    Just to add, I have only had a 4 and a 5s, and I have had a case on them and have dropped them a few times, with no crack to the screen. Just so other readers know this does actually happen.

    I know the guts of the iPhone aren't anywhere near on par with the Andriods of today, with their own OS running on their hardware its surprising how good the performance is.

    One of the reasons I moved to iPhone, was the difference in quality of the photos and videos that i was able to take quickly 'Over-processed' if its clear and smooth then that's what i want.

  6. #22
    Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Last Aerie
    Posts
    10,857
    Thanks
    645
    Thanked
    872 times in 736 posts
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    Quote Originally Posted by realstock View Post
    I know the guts of the iPhone aren't anywhere near on par with the Andriods of today, with their own OS running on their hardware its surprising how good the performance is.
    Yet, they still cost noticeably more. <insert mug comment>
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

  7. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    558
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    26 times in 21 posts

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    Its no longer cutting edge stuff.
    iMacs and Macbook Air/Pro look dated and iPads no longer look a cut above other premium tablets. Along with the infuriating software there is nothing that draws me towards wanting anything Apple.

  8. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    183 times in 153 posts

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    Quote Originally Posted by realstock View Post
    I too have seen many people with smashed iPhone screens, but then again I have seen that with a lot of other smart Phones. Although in my travels I see considerably more people using iPhones, compared to the other manufacturers, so that would make sense to me.

    The smash resistance of a phone screen isn't high up on my list of desires, if i were working on a building site, or was just generally clumsy (as some people are), then i would aim for a phone that could put up with my inability to grasp a relatively small and light smartphone. Replacing a £500+ phone every time that would happen wouldn't be a laughing matter.

    Just to add, I have only had a 4 and a 5s, and I have had a case on them and have dropped them a few times, with no crack to the screen. Just so other readers know this does actually happen.

    I know the guts of the iPhone aren't anywhere near on par with the Andriods of today, with their own OS running on their hardware its surprising how good the performance is.

    One of the reasons I moved to iPhone, was the difference in quality of the photos and videos that i was able to take quickly 'Over-processed' if its clear and smooth then that's what i want.
    Each to their own of course
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  9. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    Had Iphone Original, 4S, 5C and the 6.

    Roll on the 7

  10. #26
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    Quote Originally Posted by Myss_tree View Post
    Its no longer cutting edge stuff.
    iMacs and Macbook Air/Pro look dated and iPads no longer look a cut above other premium tablets. Along with the infuriating software there is nothing that draws me towards wanting anything Apple.
    Depends whether the perception of cutting edge matters, or functionality and ease of use by non-techs people. Price plays a part too, and there are some that will go for the latest and greatest whether it's Samsung, Nokia, Apple, or anything else. At least with Apple it's a safe bet that the OS has been tested exhaustively with the hardware, and the user experience will be consistent.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  11. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    183 times in 153 posts

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Depends whether the perception of cutting edge matters, or functionality and ease of use by non-techs people. Price plays a part too, and there are some that will go for the latest and greatest whether it's Samsung, Nokia, Apple, or anything else. At least with Apple it's a safe bet that the OS has been tested exhaustively with the hardware, and the user experience will be consistent.
    I wish this still applied but it certainly appears less and less true as more models come out. IOS isn't the speedy OS like it was and the older phones are sure struggling now. More bugs appear to be introduced as well...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  12. #28
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: Apple announces record quarterly financial results

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I wish this still applied but it certainly appears less and less true as more models come out. IOS isn't the speedy OS like it was and the older phones are sure struggling now. More bugs appear to be introduced as well...
    Not being on the bleeding edge myself, I haven't noticed, but you may be right. Certainly the later devices have faster processors, and a unified operating system may be enhanced to take advantage so older devices will be slower. Of course some of the software fearures might be disabled in the older devices (although that could break the unified approach).

    I only have an iPad mini (and iMac) haven't noticed any drop in performance with upgrades to iOS (although the latest iteration of OSX is noticeably slower)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •