• Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Razer unveils Project Valerie, a triple G-Sync display laptop

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    1.5" thick is still only half the thickness of the slimmest mini-itx cases, and most of those won't take a dGPU at all, let alone a GTX 1080. And then you'd have to cart the three screens around with you!

In fact, a dual slot GPU is wider than 1.5". This may be big for a modern laptop, but it's nowhere near bulky...
    It weights 5.4KG with tiny screens by desktop standards- the GPU is probably not easily replaceable meaning if you are lucky you might be able to use an external card dock,which adds more bulk.

I have used desktop replacement laptops - they are a false economy. The graphics card is the main problem - once that runs out of horsepower,the laptop is disposable and none of these laptops can have the card easily replaced internally so you are probably looking at a Razer core external graphics enclosure which weighs around 5KG WITHOUT the graphics card.

At this point I would not touch one with a barge pole - I have mini-ITX and Shuttle SFF systems,which were fully upgradeable when I went to uni and they were not an issue to move around on the train or to LANs.

You get cases like the A4-SFX which are just over one kg,and I expect a fully assembled system is a few kg at most.

At least with laptops like the XPS13 and Razer Blade,they are closer to 2KG which at least makes them quite light,but 5.4KG for a system with a non-upgradeable graphics card - no way. By the time you add the Razer Core the system weights over 10KG:

http://www.razerzone.com/press/detai...hics-enclosure

At this point you might as well get a small mini-ITX system.

The laptop is just too big and heavy to really make much sense for GAMING,and with such a high resolution that mobile GTX1080 is going to run out of power VERY quickly,meaning you will have to use the external graphics enclosure sooner rather than later.

Its an absolute pointless waste of space as a gaming laptop.

It might be useful for non-gaming situations where the three screens will be useful,but selling it as a gaming laptop really is a tad pointless IMHO OFC.

Gaming is probably the worst area to advertise this laptop for - I can think of far more useful areas where a triple screen laptop might actually be useful TBH!!

Edit!!

Also at 11520 x 2160,over such tiny screens,the mobile GTX1080 is going to run games worse than probably either an XPS13 or Razer Blade with a mobile GTX1060 since they use a single lower resolution display.

Both the latter make far more sense if you want a gaming laptop on the go and have access to the docks too.

Then you have the other problem that 5.4KG is quite a lot of weight too as for a number of airlines that will be most of your hand luggage allowance gone(some airlines only give you 6KG to 8KG which means by the time you add the weight of the bag that is almost your allowance gone).

Razer should not sell this as a gaming laptop IMHO - sell it as some mobile workstation for production work,etc with a Quadro card and it would make infinitely more sense.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 11-01-2017 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

With the panels extended that means the laptop is going to be at least a metre wide.

Its going to take up a huge amount of space on a desk,and thats the issue you will need a desk of some sort for it. You might as well get a smaller XPS13 or Razer Blade or get a SFF desktop IMHO OFC for gaming.

FFS,at the last LAN we had at a mates place,I doubt we would have the space to fit that laptop on a table TBH with other people's systems on it - its too wide.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 11-01-2017 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Razer should not sell this as a gaming laptop IMHO - sell it as some mobile workstation for production work,etc with a Quadro card and it would make infinitely more sense.
    Problem is, who in their right mind would buy an unserviceable workstation laptop from a gaming company rather than a quality business-class Lenovo ThinkPad, HP EliteBook, Dell Latitude (or for workstation-class Precision)?
    Also, while Lenovo never made a successor to the ThinkPad W701DS:

That concept was a lot more usable on the road, and at a desk this kind of laptop would surely be used with a dock and decent monitors.

Thanks
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 12GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Kingston 500GB SSD + NAS etc
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 430W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5-inch VA QHD monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin fibre

Video of triple screen laptop in action at CES before these Valerie prototypes were swiped:

Thanks

@CAT-THE-FIFTH

The only part I agree with really is that the resolution is likely too high for gaming given what you can do with a GPU, and there are better use of a tri-panel laptop than ultra HD gaming.

But to make closer like-for-like comparison between desktop replacement and a shuttle (et al.), you would also have to factor three small panels (or a larger one). While it's a handful, I am quite confident that I can take a monstrous desktop replacement laptop from one room to another in one go than a small Shuttle and a modest monitor. Unless they make monitors that attach directly to the case, and you can flip it around to protect it during transport. And while weight might be an issue as a carry on (in practice, I've never seen airlines weigh laptop bags), I still think that the form is still more carriage friendly than a shuttle with a small monitor..

IMO, shuttles and desktop replacement laptops may overlap in some ways but they inherently have their pro's and con's and can't fully substitute one another for all users. Laptops have never been known for their upgradeability or even bang for buck, so I don't think that economy (at least from a financial perspective). However, even a monstrosity of a desktop replacement laptop remains relatively move around all in one go, and/or put away by virtue of having the screen attached and a mechanism to close the lid.

Also those panels also do not look like they are resting on the table, but supported by the hinges, so while you might need a fair amount of space to "deploy" it, the table itself doesn't need to be that big. No you can't have anything else in that area, but the same would be the same if you had multiple small monitors (or a large one), likely require a larger table to put it on.

Thanks
    • whatif's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel 4th gen NUC
      • CPU:
      • i3 4010u Intel NUC
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 2400MHz HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung XP941 256GB, 800GB Intel DC 3700
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4th gen i3 graphics
      • PSU:
      • Intle NUC power brick
      • Case:
      • Morex NUC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" or Samsung 32" TV
      • Internet:
      • Cable

[QUOTE=CAT-THE-FIFTH;17013,
    if you are lucky you might be able to use an external card dock,which adds more bulk.
    QUOTE]

I had to giggle when I read this. We have no eGPU units being sold in Australia.

Razer has not responded to any of my messages about when or if the Core will become available. This situation has left Blade Stealth buyers in the lurch as they have expired discount vouchers but no way to use them - all they have said is "Don't worry, we will honour them". The Core is not even listed on the Australian Razer website. I tried ringing them and no one wanted to say anything.

Powercolor is just as bad as they have not responded to any of my messages about the Devil Box since October last year. Even when I rang long distance, after telling them I was ringing from Australia, they just left me on hold for over 15 minutes, then hung up. I rang back thinking it was a mistake and they left me on hold again. Obviously did not want to talk about it with me. I contacted all the sellers listed on the Powercolor website, not one will post to Australia.

Makes me wonder sometimes how companies have products that people want, but they refuse to sell them. Must be some new sort of business model, way beyond my intellect, where you spend all that time, effort and lots of money with the goal of only selling a few to a small number of countries. Doesn't seem to offer much return for all that investment.

Akitio is much better as they respond fairly quickly to messages, they have said their Node will be available and will have full warranty, but as yet, no word as to exactly when, just soon.

Not one major Australian PC retailer has any idea if a eGPU's will becoming to their shelves.

In effect, we will be lucky if we ever see any eGPU boxes being sold in Australia.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information