• Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Re: Star Citizen developers drop DirectX 12 for Vulkan API

What surprises me about this all is that it's still rumbling along. I'm wondering if this is going to be another Duke Nukem Forever when it's finally released...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    So CIG doesn't want to force users into upgrading to Windows 10....
    But Vulkan multi-GPU support will require Windows 10 - http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-news/3...dows-10-a.html
    Just because Hexus incorrectly reported it like many sites did doesn't make it true, even before PCPer posted this article going into details the claim was called out as BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Whatever the intent, it's all sounding like more mess from SC.
    I'd be very surprised if the change took more than a few days, if that.

In 2015 Chris Roberts said the refactoring of the low-end of the engine [for Dx12] will [also] work for Vulkan, and that it won't be ready until next year.

A change from DX12 to Vulkan done early in the development cycle would probably mean very little extra work, if SC is a mess then the change from DX12 to Vulkan isn't it.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Just because Hexus incorrectly reported it like many sites did doesn't make it true
    I couldn't even tell you what Vulkan even is... not really. I just saw the thread and found nothing obvious mentioning the BS aspect.

I'd be very surprised if the change took more than a few days, if that.
    But every time CR changes something, everything else goes silly. It just sounds like more feature creep and delays and stuff...

A change from DX12 to Vulkan done early in the development cycle would probably mean very little extra work, if SC is a mess then the change from DX12 to Vulkan isn't it.
    I don't see the point in it either, though, since so many gamers will already be on Win10 anyway...

Thanks

Arguably not many gamers are on Windows 10 though, i think at last count it only had a 25% market share so limiting yourself to such a small market, 400m last time Microsoft announced it, would seem odd.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

early in the development
    If this is early then it will be another what 10-12 years for a release?
    2012 I paid into this game! 4 and a half years and they announce an "early" switch to Vulkan

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks

Arguably not many gamers are on Windows 10 though
    About 50% on the Steam survey (although only 41% with Windows 10 + DX12 cards). I imagine that the percentage is even higher for AAA gamers. A big market, but the rest is still big enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post
    If this is early then it will be another what 10-12 years for a release?
    2012 I paid into this game! 4 and a half years and they announce an "early" switch to Vulkan
    Early in relation to implementing the refactoring of the low-end of the engine, DX12 support was only (iirc) announced in 2015, 3 years after you paid into it.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

They are starting to take the pee now to be fair.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    What surprises me about this all is that it's still rumbling along. I'm wondering if this is going to be another Duke Nukem Forever when it's finally released...
    I really don't get this. Mass effect Andromeda which is just one game has had similar dev time and is being released full of bugs and bad animations. Starcitizen is taking the better right than early approach. This is a bonus of not having a publisher and also the draw back. The other big difference was DNF switched dev teams and engines multiple times - Starcitizen has been cryengine since day one with the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post
    They are starting to take the pee now to be fair.
    Have you tried the latest Alpha? Its moving on faster with every release and nothing comes close to the freedom of true 64bit maps with no loading screens. Star marine is also a reasonable FPS and the dog fighting has continued to be sharpened up. Also worth checking out are the weekly ATV dev videos which show the progress they continue to make - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c2DogQL95o - This one is from the UK studio which employs over 200 people! I've watched everyone for the last 2 years and they give an interesting insight into the workings of game development. Also available are the current JIRA sprints they are working on which if your dev are pretty interesting. And before you ask I backed this game in Nov 2012 when it was first announced so I've got plenty of waiting done for this but i'm happy to wait a bit longer so its done right. Things should start to get interesting once 3.0 and squadron 42 get released in the autumn.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    I really don't get this. Mass effect Andromeda which is just one game has had similar dev time and is being released full of bugs and bad animations. Starcitizen is taking the better right than early approach. This is a bonus of not having a publisher and also the draw back. The other big difference was DNF switched dev teams and engines multiple times - Starcitizen has been cryengine since day one with the same team.

Have you tried the latest Alpha? Its moving on faster with every release and nothing comes close to the freedom of true 64bit maps with no loading screens. Star marine is also a reasonable FPS and the dog fighting has continued to be sharpened up. Also worth checking out are the weekly ATV dev videos which show the progress they continue to make - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c2DogQL95o - This one is from the UK studio which employs over 200 people! I've watched everyone for the last 2 years and they give an interesting insight into the workings of game development. Also available are the current JIRA sprints they are working on which if your dev are pretty interesting. And before you ask I backed this game in Nov 2012 when it was first announced so I've got plenty of waiting done for this but i'm happy to wait a bit longer so its done right. Things should start to get interesting once 3.0 and squadron 42 get released in the autumn.
    No but I do need to try and pick it up, I have basically 20 minutes flying time from a couple of years ago and it was so bad I gave up.
    Most of my online mates play BF1 and I really don't like it so I need an alternative

Registered+
    Thanks

vulkan runs grate for me with doom , grate api

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    Witcher 3 had just 3.5 yrs dev time, ME:A is just a bad game and not representative of any correlation between dev time and quality of game

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Witcher 3 had just 3.5 yrs dev time, ME:A is just a bad game and not representative of any correlation between dev time and quality of game
    No but also it proves that the current DEV time for star citizen isn't that high when you consider they have:
    1) Built 4 studios from scratch (This takes more time than you would imagine)
    2) Implemented new 64 bit mapping tech allowing for solar system wide maps with no loading screens when going from large stations to ship to a second station - Its really quite impressive when you try it in the Alpha - ME:A boasted about no loading screens just on the main ship!
    3) Are in the process of implementing new distance based networking culling to allow more people to inhabit the same solar system map without having low limits on numbers of users
    4) Numerous other ambitious technologies such as hand tweaked procedural planets with multiple biomes that is a level above anything NMS or ED have done - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdCFTF8j7yI.

I could add other examples but I don't want to bore you - I'm just saying they are pushing boundaries and these things take time and the time taken so far isn't that extraordinary compared to any other AAA game. The 3.0 release that is due in a few months should be interesting as that will show off the new networking tech, procedural planets etc. Also worth bearing in mind is that there is unlikely to be a 'release' for the MMO part - it will just be add and add too until complete. (Squadron 42 the single player will of course have a release).
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

14. Received thanks from:

Tabbykatze (23-03-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Yes it may have had just a 3.5 year dev time, but they had a strong platform and basis to work from. RSI/Foundry 42 is creating a whole new Universe with it's Lore from the ground up. You could say into respect of the Lore and story that the Witcher 3 was in development from 2007. Additionally RSI/F42 are also creating a new fabric to run this whole thing whereas Witcher is using mostly existing tools and systems so it's "plug and play" to a varying degree (before everyone beats me senseless, plug and play is in quotes, working with engines and game dev is not so straightforward).

On top of that, getting a persistent universe that allows you to fly, have a space battle, board someones ship, land on a planet, make love to the local culture and fly off again without loading screens is a massive feat. No Mans S*** got close to that and the nearest next runner up is Elite: Dangerous.

People keep missing the point of the bloody scale of this game, wait it's not a game it's a whole damn reality squashed into a box. Could it fail, yes it could. At this moment does it look like it's going to fail, no it doesn't no matter how many people whine about it's development time.

Yes I did purchase 2 ships, eyeing up a third. I haven't played since 1.1 and I am looking forward to v4 so I can enjoy the main featureset I'm expect.

Thanks

Also an SC/SQ42 backer here. 4 ships later and although i'd LOVE for the the game to be released i am still of the don't rush it "do it right" mentality. Yet as regards when version (alpha) 3.0 is released that is what i'm waiting for as i find short term waiting is easier to stand as i plan to mine away like a mole in space (or on a planet).

My biggest fear for SC/SQ42 is over reach, bigger the game or software the more bugs will creep in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information