Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7/8.1 updates blocked on Kaby Lake and Ryzen PCs

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Windows 7/8.1 updates blocked on Kaby Lake and Ryzen PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Kinda like how companies really should be releasing brand new albums on audiocassette, because my car still has a cassette player in the front and only a 6-disc CD changer in the back, yes?
    More like the company making the cassette player changing the hardware so it won't play your existing cassettes any more (because they have moved on to selling mp3 payers) - although of course that isn't possible, but it was your analogy.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    More like the company making the cassette player changing the hardware so it won't play your existing cassettes any more (because they have moved on to selling mp3 payers) - although of course that isn't possible, but it was your analogy.
    Perfectly possible.
    We went to CD-ROM instead of MiniDisc because Sony had already done a deal with IBM...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    Well in fairness AMD said for a long time Ryzen would run win7, and IIRC they tested it during development to ensure it did. They suddenly pulled the plug shortly after release and we can only speculate as to why that was - but one thing's clear, win7 runs on it just fine. If it didn't MS wouldn't be so desperate to block it.
    Seems fairly obvious to speculate that the reason AMD back-peddled was because Microsoft said no to them.

AMD can want to support Windows 7 but if Microsoft say "we are blocking updates to CPUs x, y and z", then what can AMD do?

Saying that, I still find it crazy, I cannot remember a precedent like this ever before. It was always a case of unsupported but who cares.....your on your own if running unsupported hardware.....to actively block updates on a working system seems like someone high up at Microsoft had a bad day at the office.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Seems fairly obvious to speculate that the reason AMD back-peddled was because Microsoft said no to them.

AMD can want to support Windows 7 but if Microsoft say "we are blocking updates to CPUs x, y and z", then what can AMD do?

Saying that, I still find it crazy, I cannot remember a precedent like this ever before. It was always a case of unsupported but who cares.....your on your own if running unsupported hardware.....to actively block updates on a working system seems like someone high up at Microsoft had a bad day at the office.
    Microsoft want telemetry and spying. win10 adware and BS app store etc. It's all about monetising the windows process. They gave it away for free instead of asking people to pay for it (which we would have done) and instead of giving people the choice between free but invasive or paid for and private, they couldn't be bothered. They put all their eggs in one basket and in so doing are alienating their own customer base.

I have just ordered a load of parts to keep my old machine going a bit longer and retain my win7 licence on my old hardware. That new HDD ? That gets a linux distro, and that spare machine work are giving me? NAS server running on linux and freeNas. I'm learning new stuff, why? So I never have to run win10. I have it on my laptop and it's not that good. Some bits are, other bits aren't, and they seem hell bent on making it harder and harder to control the settings I used to easily be able to access in win7. And it keeps trying to load up flashing gimiicky adverts everywhere that hammer the on-die GPU and sink my battery life. They are almost all to do with app store, MS plugs and similar. Luckily Dell have finally relented and given me a win7 ISO usb that should work once I've loaded in the NVMe and USB3 drivers. A project I need to finish once I get enough time to risk putting the laptop out-of-action.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Microsoft want telemetry and spying. win10 adware and BS app store etc. It's all about monetising the windows process. They gave it away for free instead of asking people to pay for it (which we would have done) and instead of giving people the choice between free but invasive or paid for and private, they couldn't be bothered. They put all their eggs in one basket and in so doing are alienating their own customer base.

I have just ordered a load of parts to keep my old machine going a bit longer and retain my win7 licence on my old hardware. That new HDD ? That gets a linux distro, and that spare machine work are giving me? NAS server running on linux and freeNas. I'm learning new stuff, why? So I never have to run win10. I have it on my laptop and it's not that good. Some bits are, other bits aren't, and they seem hell bent on making it harder and harder to control the settings I used to easily be able to access in win7. And it keeps trying to load up flashing gimiicky adverts everywhere that hammer the on-die GPU and sink my battery life. They are almost all to do with app store, MS plugs and similar. Luckily Dell have finally relented and given me a win7 ISO usb that should work once I've loaded in the NVMe and USB3 drivers. A project I need to finish once I get enough time to risk putting the laptop out-of-action.
    If you're getting flashing ads that's not Win 10. Either its laptop maker junkware or something more nefarious.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

The thing is, they do offer that distinction. It's just you need a domain for it to work transparently.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Well in fairness AMD said for a long time Ryzen would run win7, and IIRC they tested it during development to ensure it did. They suddenly pulled the plug shortly after release and we can only speculate as to why that was - but one thing's clear, win7 runs on it just fine. If it didn't MS wouldn't be so desperate to block it.
    AMD didn't pull the plug. Someone gave out incorrect information, which was then retracted/corrected. Full story in http://forums.hexus.net/cpus/369652-...ndows-7-a.html - basically AMD tested Ryzen on Win 7 but weren't offering support.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Wouldn't any lawyer worth their salt argue that a comment from August last year doesn't, and shouldn't, make the original contract nul and void ...
    For that to work, the original contract would have to explicitly state that Windows 7 (or 8.1) would be supported on all future x86/x64 hardware regardless. I really can't imagine MS would've put that in the EULA, but if it's there by all means go and sue MS for breach of contract.

My money would be on Microsoft having included wording in the EULA to limit support to such future hardware configurations as it chooses to support, and given the enthusiast world had ~ 6 months notice that Windows 7 would not be supported on Ryzen, I don't think you'll get much mileage from claiming that MS should support it just because it's technically feasible.

Thanks

I've not read through the 8.1 EULA but the Windows 7 one makes not mention of hardware, it's pretty sparse when it comes to talking about support TBH with the only relevant reference point to their support website, i get what you're saying about explicitly stating or not however like i said i would imagine any lawyers worth their salt would take the ambiguity and use that as leverage and ultimately it would be for a judge to, well, judge.

And just FYI i don't have anything close to the amount of money that would be required to put that to the test.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

it doesn't have to support it. But to actively block it and prevent someone from using their existing licence is a different case.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

it doesn't have to support it. But to actively block it and prevent someone from using their existing licence is a different case.
    Erm, they're not blocking you using it. They're just not providing any further updates. If you have a valid Windows 7 license that allows transfer between computers, you can continue to transfer it between computers. You just won't get any support from Microsoft if anything goes wrong or doesn't work properly.

... it's pretty sparse when it comes to talking about support TBH with the only relevant reference point to their support website ...
    You mean ths support website that explicitly says that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are not supported on Kany Lake, Bristol Ridge and Ryzen?

If that's the case, then there's no ambiguity at all. If the support details in the EULA say "see our support website", what's on the website is what you get.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Erm, they're not blocking you using it. They're just not providing any further updates. If you have a valid Windows 7 license that allows transfer between computers, you can continue to transfer it between computers. You just won't get any support from Microsoft if anything goes wrong or doesn't work properly.
    But they are blocking people from receiving updates, updates they were told they'd receive for 10 years when they bought the product

You mean ths support website that explicitly says that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are not supported on Kany Lake, Bristol Ridge and Ryzen?

If that's the case, then there's no ambiguity at all. If the support details in the EULA say "see our support website", what's on the website is what you get.
    There's plenty of ambiguity as for the past 7 and/or 3 years that support site made no mention of support being limited to particular hardware, and that includes when people signed the contract by installing the software, you can't retroactively change a contract.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... you can't retroactively change a contract.
    *goes to read the Windows 7 and 8.1 EULAs*

Right, there is nothing at all in those giving any inherent right to updates. The only reference to updates is that you may only obtain them directly from MS, and the only mention of support is that it's provided "as described at" a support website that no longer exists. So, there's certainly no change to the contract itself.

Whatever the support page used to say (I can't find a cached copy), it definitely won't have explicitly stated that Windows 7/8.1 would be supported on all new hardware, and MS could easily argue that you couldn't assume implicit support for hardware that didn't exist at the time. Besides, I'd be amazed if the original page didn't include a disclaimer like the one they currently have (emphasis added):

Notice About Online Policies and Similar Documents

The information contained in the online policies and similar documents on this website represents the current view of Microsoft as of the date they are posted. Because we must respond to changing market conditions and are constantly evaluating how to better work with our customers and partners, such documents should not be interpreted as legally binding commitments, but rather as flexible documents subject to change occasionally. Similarly, we cannot guarantee that any information in such documents will be error-free or kept up to date after they are posted.
    Source: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lega...isclaimer.aspx

Thanks

*goes to read the Windows 7 and 8.1 EULAs*

Right, there is nothing at all in those giving any inherent right to updates. The only reference to updates is that you may only obtain them directly from MS, and the only mention of support is that it's provided "as described at" a support website that no longer exists.
    That's what i thought when i fist visited it as it redirects to their generic support page.

Whatever the support page used to say (I can't find a cached copy), it definitely won't have explicitly stated that Windows 7/8.1 would be supported on all new hardware, and MS could easily argue that you couldn't assume implicit support for hardware that didn't exist at the time. Besides, I'd be amazed if the original page didn't include a disclaimer like the one they currently have (emphasis added):
    Yea i couldn't find a cached copy either as they block robots.txt or something or other and having thought about it after not finding a cached copy i concluded it doesn't, or didn't, matter what the Microsoft site says or used to say as not only has the life cycle of Windows been well document all over the internet for the last 20+ years but also the very fact that Microsoft announced six months ago that updates would be blocked on 7/8.1 on Kaby Lake and Ryzen shows that before that announcement, and before the block came into effect, they were or would have been supported for the full 10 years, added to that is how it's provable that this block has been arbitrarily imposed.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... i concluded it doesn't, or didn't, matter what the Microsoft site says or used to say ...
    I'd say that for anyone wanting to bring legal action against Microsoft what the site says/said is of utmost importance, as it would be the foundation of the whole case. You can't sue someone because they didn't do what you think they should have done. As it stands, there's no evidence to support a lawsuit over this.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

But they are blocking people from receiving updates, updates they were told they'd receive for 10 years when they bought the product
    So they're blocking updates on hardware that (they say) isn't compatible, to avoid possible conflicts and fritzing the existing Win install, thus avoiding people phoning up about problems with their incompatible hardware... and this is bad, how?

Thanks

I'd say that for anyone wanting to bring legal action against Microsoft what the site says/said is of utmost importance, as it would be the foundation of the whole case. You can't sue someone because they didn't do what you think they should have done. As it stands, there's no evidence to support a lawsuit over this.
    Yes what the site says/said is of utmost importance however i would say, and our hypothetical lawyer would probably argue, that's at the time of purchase and the time of acceptance of the agreement, it's not about what you think they should have done, it's what they said they would do until 6 months ago, and what they're going to carry on doing for certain hardware configurations.

Also seeing as people have brought a law suit against Microsoft for install Windows 10 without their permission, along with some other odd claims, i would say a law suit against them for artificially restricting updates is all but certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    So they're blocking updates on hardware that (they say) isn't compatible, to avoid possible conflicts and fritzing the existing Win install, thus avoiding people phoning up about problems with their incompatible hardware... and this is bad, how?
    It's bad because a) They said Windows 8.1 would get feature updates to support new hardware for another 3 years, b) because patching security flaws is not dependent on what hardware is used, and c) because it's provable that this block has nothing to do with supposedly incompatible hardware causing problems, given the block can be bypassed allowing people to test if an updated causes problems.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information