Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 17 to 32 of 50

Thread: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

  1. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,679
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked
    152 times in 110 posts

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Citations and I'll start listening. Clear evidence that these issues are caused by Microsoft's code and not faulty hardware/poorly written drivers/third party software and I'll doff my cap to you. "I don't think" isn't an argument.
    I'm not having an argument, i was stating an opinion, i just wish i could say the same for you as it's starting to become apparent that you do, from putting words into my mouth too your suggestion that I'm being naive it's clear that no matter what i say you'll use that as a form of attack, you've even laid the ground work for that by saying you want "Clear evidence that these issues are caused by Microsoft's code and not faulty hardware/poorly written drivers/third party software", you may say I'm being a shade naive but I'm not gullible enough to follow you down that rabbit hole.

    EDIT: Although just to prove a point here are some links to articles from the most pro Microsoft shill out there, Mr Thurrott.
    Microsoft Delivers Yet Another Broken Windows 10 Update.
    Microsoft Has Broken Millions Of Webcams With Windows 10 Anniversary Update
    Microsoft Fixes Windows Hello Issue in Surface Pro 4.
    Microsoft Releases Surface Pro 3 Firmware Update to Address Battery Issues.
    Last edited by Corky34; 12-09-2017 at 08:28 AM.

  2. #18
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    14,019
    Thanks
    1,105
    Thanked
    2,007 times in 1,677 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HP Pavilion
      • CPU:
      • A10 4600M
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD7660G (IGP)
      • PSU:
      • Battery/HP 19v brick
      • Case:
      • HP Pavilion G6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1366x768 laptop panel

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I'm not having an argument, i was stating an opinion, i just wish i could say the same for you as it's starting to become apparent that you do ...
    I don't want an argument, I'm merely questioning an assertion you made that I don't think is true. You said:

    this new way of doing Windows is awful in terms of quality control
    and

    when comparing this new way of doing Windows with the old way it seems quality has taken a back seat.
    Those aren't opinions. You're claiming facts. You're saying the quality control of Windows 10 updates is "awful". You're saying that quality "has taken a back seat". Tacking "in my opinion" onto the end of those statements doesn't magically make them immune from question and debate. Stating an "opinion" that you're then not willing to defend is basically just straight-up trolling.

    I've yet to see anything that indicates the quality of Windows 10 updates is worse than in previous versions*. I'm happy to test evidence against that, but since this isn't my pet rant I'm not going to go hunting for evidence one way or the other...


    * yes, I've read the articles you linked; out of the four, two were about Surface firmware updates, not Windows 10, and one was an update that worked correctly but caused problems due to a technical implementation decision that Microsoft made. So that's one update that had installation problems on a limited number of systems (hell, one of the reports the article points to clearly states that it impacted only one of their VMs). So yeah, there's still quality issues, which as I said before is inevitable. One problematic update doesn't make Windows 10 worse than the previous versions of Windows.

  3. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sunny Rugeley
    Posts
    1,836
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    46 times in 41 posts

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Handbags at dawn...

    On a lighter note, yes still problems for a few but generally fixes appear to be quicker to materialise
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  4. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,679
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked
    152 times in 110 posts

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I don't want an argument, I'm merely questioning an assertion you made that I don't think is true. You said:

    and

    Those aren't opinions. You're claiming facts. You're saying the quality control of Windows 10 updates is "awful". You're saying that quality "has taken a back seat". Tacking "in my opinion" onto the end of those statements doesn't magically make them immune from question and debate. Stating an "opinion" that you're then not willing to defend is basically just straight-up trolling.
    No they're defiantly opinions, a fact is a statement that can be proven true or false and you know as well as i do that there's no way to prove that the new way of doing Windows is awful in terms of quality control as not only don't we have access to the data that Microsoft undoubtedly collates but "awful" and "quality" are entirely subjective.

    And it's not that I'm not willing to defend my opinion it's that you're conflating opinion with fact as a way to start an argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I've yet to see anything that indicates the quality of Windows 10 updates is worse than in previous versions*. I'm happy to test evidence against that, but since this isn't my pet rant I'm not going to go hunting for evidence one way or the other...

    * yes, I've read the articles you linked; out of the four, two were about Surface firmware updates, not Windows 10, and one was an update that worked correctly but caused problems due to a technical implementation decision that Microsoft made. So that's one update that had installation problems on a limited number of systems (hell, one of the reports the article points to clearly states that it impacted only one of their VMs). So yeah, there's still quality issues, which as I said before is inevitable. One problematic update doesn't make Windows 10 worse than the previous versions of Windows.
    Maybe that's because you seem to think "quality" is an objective measurement that can be made by third parties when the only people that could measure "quality" would be Microsoft themselves, and even then it would be highly subjective as what they consider "worse" would be based on what criteria they set.

    At least you've proved my point by using those articles as a means of moving the goal posts.

  5. #21
    Admin Team peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    16,823
    Thanks
    2,105
    Thanked
    2,684 times in 2,148 posts
    • peterb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Nascom 2
      • CPU:
      • Z80B
      • Memory:
      • 48K 8 bit memory on separate card
      • Storage:
      • Audio cassette tape - home built 5.25" floppy drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • text output (composite video)
      • PSU:
      • Home built
      • Case:
      • Home built
      • Operating System:
      • Nas-sys
      • Monitor(s):
      • 12" monocrome composite video input
      • Internet:
      • No networking capability on this machine

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    I'm struggling to see exactly what this discussion is about. One person has stated that they think that the update process for Windows 10 is worse than it used to be - an opinion that others seem to share, following the links.

    On the other hand we have another person saying that they are not ( although whether that means they are no worse than they used to be, or as good as they used to be, is not clear )

    So a difference of opinion - not the first or last time, but hardly a reason to start digging trenches and lobbing link grenades over no-mans land....

    Fortunately, as an Apple user - these problems are less frequent.....



    (note diversionary tactic in the last line - /prepares to get the anti-apple brigade turn their flamethrowers in my direction)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  6. #22
    Cinnamon Roll
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norfolk (Nowhereland)
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked
    6 times in 6 posts
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170 SLI Plus
      • CPU:
      • i5-6600K @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB HyperX DDR4 2666MHz CL15
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • In Win 707 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765HT
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 8mb, actual 1.4mb

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    I don't think Windows updates themselves have gotten any better or worse subjectively, the only difference is that we're now forced to swallow them whether we like it or not (and now Microsoft can measure in even greater detail how many slip-ups they make rolling updates out.)
    Maybe this data collection will allow them to improve over time but clearly it hasn't had a huge immediate impact.

    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Fortunately, as an Apple user - these problems are less frequent.....

    (note diversionary tactic in the last line - /prepares to get the anti-apple brigade turn their flamethrowers in my direction)
    A WHAT USER???




  7. #23
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    14,019
    Thanks
    1,105
    Thanked
    2,007 times in 1,677 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HP Pavilion
      • CPU:
      • A10 4600M
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD7660G (IGP)
      • PSU:
      • Battery/HP 19v brick
      • Case:
      • HP Pavilion G6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1366x768 laptop panel

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I'm struggling to see exactly what this discussion is about. One person has stated that they think that the update process for Windows 10 is worse than it used to be ...
    Hmmm, that's an interesting reading of Corky's comments - particularly of the bits I've highlighted that I have issues with; indeed I've said at least twice now that I'm not arguing about the update process itself. Clearly we have a definitions issue here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    No they're defiantly opinions, a fact is a statement that can be proven true or false ...
    So you're saying you can't prove whether something is better quality than something else?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    ... Maybe that's because you seem to think "quality" is an objective measurement that can be made by third parties ...
    Erm ... it is. It's relatively trivial to develop frameworks for determining and testing quality, including of proprietary software. It's quite possible to perform both quantitative and qualitative studies on the subject, at a variety of levels. If you couldn't define objective measurements of quality you couldn't do quality control at all.

    The quality of something is not all in your head. If you think it is - and that's been informing your contributions to this thread - then I can see where the problem arises.

  8. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,679
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked
    152 times in 110 posts

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    So you're saying you can't prove whether something is better quality than something else?!
    No, and taking what i said out of context only reinforces my belief that you're wanting to start an argument.

    In case it's not clear, although I'm not sure how it can't be as we're there are now some 24 post discussing the quality of Windows Updates since they adopted this new model, we're not talking about the quality of "something" we're talking about the quality of Windows Updates since they adopted this new model.

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Erm ... it is. It's relatively trivial to develop frameworks for determining and testing quality, including of proprietary software. It's quite possible to perform both quantitative and qualitative studies on the subject, at a variety of levels. If you couldn't define objective measurements of quality you couldn't do quality control at all.

    The quality of something is not all in your head. If you think it is - and that's been informing your contributions to this thread - then I can see where the problem arises.
    Sure you can do that but as you're a third party at best you're making objective judgment on what you can see and using those objective judgment to make subjective judgments of what you can't, basically you're using objective facts to make a subjective interpretation of what you can't prove.

  9. #25
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    14,019
    Thanks
    1,105
    Thanked
    2,007 times in 1,677 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HP Pavilion
      • CPU:
      • A10 4600M
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD7660G (IGP)
      • PSU:
      • Battery/HP 19v brick
      • Case:
      • HP Pavilion G6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1366x768 laptop panel

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    ... as you're a third party at best you're making objective judgment on what you can see and using those objective judgment to make subjective judgments of what you can't, basically you're using objective facts to make a subjective interpretation of what you can't prove.
    Huh?

    You make a set of objective statements about what counts as good quality. Then you test things against them. You can do that for Windows Updates just fine, and you get a measurement of the quality of those updates. Whether it's the same measurement Microsoft use is kind of irrelevant, as long as everyone involved agrees on the measurements we're using.

    You don't have to use the developers definition of quality to decide whether something is better or worse quality, but you do have to use some definition of quality before you can talk about whether something is better or worse quality.

    Sorry, but this is rapidly edging towards "PCIe connection" all over again. You're welcome to use words like "quality" and "objective" however you see fit. I'll be over here, in the corner, scratching my head and keeping my mouth shut. Each to their own, I guess...

  10. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,679
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked
    152 times in 110 posts

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Huh?

    You make a set of objective statements about what counts as good quality. Then you test things against them. You can do that for Windows Updates just fine, and you get a measurement of the quality of those updates. Whether it's the same measurement Microsoft use is kind of irrelevant, as long as everyone involved agrees on the measurements we're using.
    And prey tell how are you going to use those objective measurements of an agreed upon definition of "good" on every single device? At best you'd be using the objective data from maybe 1 or 2 devices and extrapolating that into subjective data, in essence you'd be saying X update didn't cause me any problems so it must be a good quality update despite not being able to prove that it's not caused problems for others.

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    You don't have to use the developers definition of quality to decide whether something is better or worse quality, but you do have to use some definition of quality before you can talk about whether something is better or worse quality.
    Indeed, but you do have to have access to all the data to be able to make an objective judgment and seeing as the only people with access to that data are the developers it can't be classed as objective data as they're undoubtedly biased.

  11. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    a fix has been around for centuries, just change your network settings and its all good

    http://www.esreality.com/post/289074...ttings-to-try/

  12. #28
    HEXUS.timelord. Zak33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I'm a Jessie
    Posts
    32,222
    Thanks
    1,986
    Thanked
    2,180 times in 1,355 posts
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD R9 290 4gig
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Benq 22" 1680x1050
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    LUNCH???? They let you have time off for LUNCH????
    at his desk... mending someones work pc... natch

    Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

  13. Received thanks from:

    Mason.Lyons (13-09-2017)

  14. #29
    Admin Saracen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    17,363
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked
    2,955 times in 2,096 posts

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    ....

    I can't remember a version of Windows that hasn't at some point had an automatic update roll out that hasn't borked something horribly......
    And that is both one of the differences between XP (and W7 for that matter) and Win10, and one of the things that is so objectionable in W10 .... in previous versions I decide when, and if] to upgrade. Which means I can choose, if I wish, to apply critical and security fixes, and fixes for software I use, and not to apply a mountain of fixes for things I don't and never will use.Also, I can choose to wait to apply even service packs until any borking is discoved and the borking bits fixed, having let those keen enough, or perhaps daft enough, to instantly update 'discover' what gets borked.

    More relevsntly, to me, in the MS mindset it implies when they assuke the right to amend/alter MY system, even sometimes to the extent of re-enabling things I had drliberstrly turned off or disabling things I want and rely on.

    MS seem to be under a misunderstanding of who owns the machine and it is that change in mindset, when MS just grabbing the ability to itself to overrule me on how my machine works that is so obnoxious of them, and to me, utterly unacceptable despite having been a professional user since the days of MS-DOS 2.x. No longer, though..
    Noli nothis permittere te terere.


  15. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 4 posts

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    In the business here, now that we're on Windows 10, I see nothing really different in the way updates arrive. We're obviously using a WSUS server but, other than that, machines not on the domain have no issues. Heck we've around 40 ish Win 10 machines and, other than MS changing something back to default upon a new build release, it's pretty much the same experience.

  16. #31
    HEXUS.staff Mason.Lyons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked
    19 times in 17 posts
    • Mason.Lyons's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87
      • CPU:
      • 4770k
      • Memory:
      • 4GB/8GB/16GB corsair vengeance LP Depends on how my PC is feeling at the time
      • Storage:
      • 256GB 840 evo 2TB samsung HDD 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 290
      • PSU:
      • Corsair tx650
      • Case:
      • Corsair Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 Asus 1080p

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    other than MS changing something back to default upon a new build release
    This is one of the most frustrating things they do.

  17. #32
    HEXUS.Squirrel Output's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks
    522
    Thanked
    216 times in 177 posts
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA970
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Patriot 1866MHz @ 1600MHz + 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 HyperX Fury 1600MHz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Xclio Touch 787
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2214H

    Re: Microsoft fixing Windows 10 CU gaming performance issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason.Lyons View Post
    This is one of the most frustrating things they do.
    And something that I'd think that businesses in particular should be pushing back against them for pulling.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. Ambersuccubus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •