Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 17 to 26 of 26

Thread: UK smartphone maker Wileyfox goes into administration

  1. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    276
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    9 times in 8 posts
    • Bagpuss's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97 Maximus VII Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel 4690K @ 4.2Ghz (1.15vlts)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1x256GB SSD 1x3TB 1x2TB 7200rpm Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 970 Strix (Stock)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower Leadex 650w Gold
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 450D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2414H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Fibre 200Mb

    Re: UK smartphone maker Wileyfox goes into administration

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I also read elsewhere the dip in the pound and the RAM cartel upping prices also didn't help the company much!
    It's just one of those sectors where companies come & go on a regular basis, I've had more than my money's worth from the phone, so no complaints, but when I need to replace it, I doubt I'll find a similarly specced replacement for less than £230 now.

  2. #18
    Comrade Moose CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moosetopia
    Posts
    27,370
    Thanks
    3,003
    Thanked
    4,186 times in 3,242 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: UK smartphone maker Wileyfox goes into administration

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    It's just one of those sectors where companies come & go on a regular basis, I've had more than my money's worth from the phone, so no complaints, but when I need to replace it, I doubt I'll find a similarly specced replacement for less than £230 now.
    I weuld look at Huawei and some of the Chinese companies. I have a P9 Lite and its been very solid for the £125 it cost. A mate recently got a P10 Lite and the specs were really good for the price. The Moto G line has gone downhill since Lenovo has bought and reliability has gone down hill.

    The Honor brand is part of Huawei,and they have recently released the Honor 9 Lite:

    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/honor-9-lite-uk
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/honor...-9-lite-review

    For £200 that is a very solid looking phone.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  3. #19
    Senior Member spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    636
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked
    113 times in 87 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B85M-G
      • CPU:
      • i5 4460 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD, 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RX-480 Dual OC 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Antec Mini P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Origin Fibre Max

    Re: UK smartphone maker Wileyfox goes into administration

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I weuld look at Huawei and some of the Chinese companies. I have a P9 Lite and its been very solid for the £125 it cost. A mate recently got a P10 Lite and the specs were really good for the price. The Moto G line has gone downhill since Lenovo has bought and reliability has gone down hill.

    The Honor brand is part of Huawei,and they have recently released the Honor 9 Lite:

    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/honor-9-lite-uk
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/honor...-9-lite-review

    For £200 that is a very solid looking phone.
    It is, but that's still a lot more than the circa £120 wileyfox were selling for.

  4. #20
    Comrade Moose CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moosetopia
    Posts
    27,370
    Thanks
    3,003
    Thanked
    4,186 times in 3,242 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: UK smartphone maker Wileyfox goes into administration

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    It is, but that's still a lot more than the circa £120 wileyfox were selling for.
    My Huawei P9 Lite cost me £125,and the 2017 P8 lite and P10 Lite can be had for well under £200 if you shop around,at least the last time I checked maybe a month ago. Hopefully companies like Xiaomi,etc will officially enter the UK market at some point.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 10-02-2018 at 04:30 PM.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  5. #21
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,419
    Thanks
    1,458
    Thanked
    869 times in 753 posts

    Re: UK smartphone maker Wileyfox goes into administration

    I have a P9 myself and am really happy with it. I just wish Huawei were much better when it comes to updates; even security updates would be a start. The sooner Android takes back control of direct security updates the better IMO, because the majority of manufacturers are useless at it.

  6. #22
    Comrade Moose CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moosetopia
    Posts
    27,370
    Thanks
    3,003
    Thanked
    4,186 times in 3,242 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: UK smartphone maker Wileyfox goes into administration

    Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I have a P9 myself and am really happy with it. I just wish Huawei were much better when it comes to updates; even security updates would be a start. The sooner Android takes back control of direct security updates the better IMO, because the majority of manufacturers are useless at it.
    Mine got the OTA update for KRACK,but even Motorola under Lenovo went from good to bad when it came to updates,although from what I gathered EE are pretty terrible at updating phones with OTA updates. However,LineageOS has a version for the Huawei phones so might consider installing that at some point.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  7. #23
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,419
    Thanks
    1,458
    Thanked
    869 times in 753 posts

    Re: UK smartphone maker Wileyfox goes into administration

    Mine is an unlocked version so gets OTA straight from Huawei without any branding. I've contacted them regarding it and got an answer along the lines of 'don't worry you're on the latest one for your model'. :/

    Security patch level is currently 1 September 2016.

    Edit: Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they're the worst for it, just it's something they should seriously consider improving IMO. I think they have some great hardware and I really don't mind their Android skin at all TBH (there are some things I don't actually like in stock Android), and I'm not a fan of OLED screens at all - Huawei use mostly decent quality high resolution (but not uselessly high) LCD panels.

  8. #24
    Comrade Moose CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moosetopia
    Posts
    27,370
    Thanks
    3,003
    Thanked
    4,186 times in 3,242 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: UK smartphone maker Wileyfox goes into administration

    Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Mine is an unlocked version so gets OTA straight from Huawei without any branding. I've contacted them regarding it and got an answer along the lines of 'don't worry you're on the latest one for your model'. :/

    Security patch level is currently 1 September 2016.

    Edit: Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they're the worst for it, just it's something they should seriously consider improving IMO. I think they have some great hardware and I really don't mind their Android skin at all TBH (there are some things I don't actually like in stock Android), and I'm not a fan of OLED screens at all - Huawei use mostly decent quality high resolution (but not uselessly high) LCD panels.
    My P9 Lite is on the November 2017 patch and the network are known for taking their sweet time for OTA updates. Have you tried manually looking for an update or seeing if you can sideload it??

    However,I tend to agree with Android,the companies need to really support their devices. You can buy devices which don't even get proper updates within a year of purchase!


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  9. #25
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,419
    Thanks
    1,458
    Thanked
    869 times in 753 posts

    Re: UK smartphone maker Wileyfox goes into administration

    Yeah, unfortunately it does seem like I'm on the latest available update for my device at the moment. I've repeatedly tried checking for updates, through the usual method, through the HiCare app (including the newer version and checking for 'early adopter' updates) and through the PC application - nothing available on any of them.

    I'm not the the camp of 'I demand the latest version of Android for some arbitrary reason and newer=bettur', especially given my experience with my Nexus 4 feeling like a beta tester with every major update seemingly breaking something, but I would be more comfortable with security patches newer than Sept 16.

  10. #26
    Senior Member jag272's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    529
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    31 times in 30 posts
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

    Re: UK smartphone maker Wileyfox goes into administration

    I bought a Swift 2X a few months ago after my LG G3's SIM slot started to fail and have been very pleased with the phone. It will be a shame to see them go, suppose this will be a bit of a kick for me to see about getting the G3 repaired just in case though. At the time it was more important to me to have a working phone so I just bought a new one rather than waiting for a repair.

    Not expecting the phone to up and die, but can't hurt to have a backup. The Swift is more up to date than my G3 anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •