Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    26,810
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,651 times in 574 posts

    Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    And claims its HAMR technology heads are more reliable than the industry standard.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    I do hope the Mach.2 tech filters down to the smaller (2TB+) consumer drivers. Would be a fantastic stop-gap while 2TB SSDs are still an order of magnitude more expensive.

  3. #3
    Comrade Moose CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moosetopia
    Posts
    27,317
    Thanks
    3,000
    Thanked
    4,175 times in 3,233 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    It's got fricking lasers! INSTABUY!


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,237
    Thanks
    180
    Thanked
    72 times in 67 posts
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @stock
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX100 512GB, 2TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G-550
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 150 mb fibre

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by afiretruck View Post
    I do hope the Mach.2 tech filters down to the smaller (2TB+) consumer drivers. Would be a fantastic stop-gap while 2TB SSDs are still an order of magnitude more expensive.
    Why not just RAID?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked
    123 times in 117 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Elite PC3-14900
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX200 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | WDC 1TB Green | Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290 VaporX 7950
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic) or Seasonic SII-330
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2414H

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    Since burst mode max transfer rates have been mostly meaningless for decades, who cares?
    Random IOPS is why informed people buy SSDs, not theoretical max burst rates

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Why not just RAID?
    Assuming you mean to use 2 regular HDDs in RAID 0 to replace a Mach.2 drive.

    Many reasons: Cost, physical space requirements, and RAID hardware (or CPU overhead for software RAID) to name a few.

    Okay, cost is really dependent on how much the premium Mach.2 adds to the total value of the drives individually, but power consumption would be higher for 2 separate HDDs.

  7. #7
    Hooning about Hoonigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Renfrew, Scotland.
    Posts
    1,565
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked
    271 times in 188 posts
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z270 Gaming M7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 7700k @ 5.0GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Various NVMe + SATA SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX1080Ti GAMING X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 650W
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM95-P + ASUS ROG PG279
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Vivid 350

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    attragction
    Slight spelling error. Just a heads up

  8. #8
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    8,464
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked
    825 times in 702 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M5A-97 EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 16GB ECC 1333
      • Storage:
      • 660GB Linux, 500GB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 24 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Since burst mode max transfer rates have been mostly meaningless for decades, who cares?
    Random IOPS is why informed people buy SSDs, not theoretical max burst rates
    That's pretty much my take on these too.

    Hard disks are used for watching videos (replacing VHS) and backups (replacing QIC). Really, HDD is the tape drive of the modern age. For enterprise backup use, once you get a single RAID6 stripe of drives you can outpace an 10GbE network connection even with cheapish SATA drives.

    I presume Seagate have customers lined up, but I have to wonder if I am missing something as it just smacks of Seagate trying to appear relevant in performance storage which spinning rust just isn't.

  9. #9
    Super Nerd
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,773
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    105 times in 72 posts

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by afiretruck View Post
    I do hope the Mach.2 tech filters down to the smaller (2TB+) consumer drivers. Would be a fantastic stop-gap while 2TB SSDs are still an order of magnitude more expensive.
    Why not just RAID?
    Because RAID-0 of hard drives has double the failure rate, so if you care at all about the data it means RAID 10 which is minimum 4 drives. Thus at least 4x the space, power and noise as well as cost. And after all that effort hard drive is still hard drive and most performance metrics are still bad compared to even the most basic SSD.

    Nobody uses hard drives for performance anymore, it's nice to have them a bit faster but really it's just polishing a turd from a performance perspective.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,237
    Thanks
    180
    Thanked
    72 times in 67 posts
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @stock
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX100 512GB, 2TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G-550
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 150 mb fibre

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by afiretruck View Post
    Assuming you mean to use 2 regular HDDs in RAID 0 to replace a Mach.2 drive.

    Many reasons: Cost, physical space requirements, and RAID hardware (or CPU overhead for software RAID) to name a few.

    Okay, cost is really dependent on how much the premium Mach.2 adds to the total value of the drives individually, but power consumption would be higher for 2 separate HDDs.
    Don't most motherboards come with basis RAID baked in these days? Power consumption would be higher, probably, which is a big issue for a server farm running 100s of drives but an extra few watts load for a home user is not significant.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Because RAID-0 of hard drives has double the failure rate, so if you care at all about the data it means RAID 10 which is minimum 4 drives. Thus at least 4x the space, power and noise as well as cost. And after all that effort hard drive is still hard drive and most performance metrics are still bad compared to even the most basic SSD.

    Nobody uses hard drives for performance anymore, it's nice to have them a bit faster but really it's just polishing a turd from a performance perspective.
    They're talking about better IOPS, so RAID 1 - data mirroring built in, unlike the mach.2 equipped drives. If you only want a 2 TB drive, twice the space and power is not an issue

  11. #11
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    8,464
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked
    825 times in 702 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M5A-97 EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 16GB ECC 1333
      • Storage:
      • 660GB Linux, 500GB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 24 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Because RAID-0 of hard drives has double the failure rate, so if you care at all about the data it means RAID 10 which is minimum 4 drives. Thus at least 4x the space, power and noise as well as cost. And after all that effort hard drive is still hard drive and most performance metrics are still bad compared to even the most basic SSD.

    Nobody uses hard drives for performance anymore, it's nice to have them a bit faster but really it's just polishing a turd from a performance perspective.
    There is a common Linux hack to do RAID10 on two drives using 4 partitions. It is basically to get around the fact that RAID1 on Linux software RAID doesn't (didn't?) interleave reads well across multiple drives. It is a fun hack to know about, but in reality it seems too much complication and faff so I just use RAID 1

    https://blog.a2o.si/2014/09/07/linux...ead-of-raid-1/

  12. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Don't most motherboards come with basis RAID baked in these days?
    Usually that stuff is "fake RAID" where the motherboard presents a thin RAID controller to the OS, but all of the calculations and disk controlling, etc are performed in software drivers. It's cheap & cheerful and does the job just fine for 9/10 people, but it's still effectively software RAID when you get down to it.

  13. #13
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    There is a common Linux hack to do RAID10 on two drives using 4 partitions. It is basically to get around the fact that RAID1 on Linux software RAID doesn't (didn't?) interleave reads well across multiple drives. It is a fun hack to know about, but in reality it seems too much complication and faff so I just use RAID 1

    https://blog.a2o.si/2014/09/07/linux...ead-of-raid-1/
    Have you read the final update at the top? RAID 10 far-2 seems to be the way to go nowadays

    EDIT: Thinking about it, are there many real-world cases where traditional RAID1 would be better? I'm guessing when you're reading multiple files at once. Has anyone tried RAID10-f2 and found it to be worse for them than good old RAID1?

  14. #14
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    8,464
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked
    825 times in 702 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M5A-97 EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 16GB ECC 1333
      • Storage:
      • 660GB Linux, 500GB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 24 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by afiretruck View Post
    Have you read the final update at the top? RAID 10 far-2 seems to be the way to go nowadays
    No, I just remembered the idea from when I set up my raid-1 which I think predates that update. That's a shame, it is sort of Trigger's RAID array having had disk fails and swaps so the same data now resides on different drives and will likely stay like that for another 5 years, and some free performance is always nice but I can't be bothered to back up and migrate the date to a new stripe layout

  15. #15
    Super Nerd
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,773
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    105 times in 72 posts

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    They're talking about better IOPS, so RAID 1 - data mirroring built in, unlike the mach.2 equipped drives. If you only want a 2 TB drive, twice the space and power is not an issue
    RAID 1 will never boost write IOPs and doesn't boost read in all implementations.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    There is a common Linux hack to do RAID10 on two drives using 4 partitions. It is basically to get around the fact that RAID1 on Linux software RAID doesn't (didn't?) interleave reads well across multiple drives. It is a fun hack to know about, but in reality it seems too much complication and faff so I just use RAID 1

    https://blog.a2o.si/2014/09/07/linux...ead-of-raid-1/
    Interesting hack, been a long time since I did a two drive RAID with mdraid so I'd not seen that before. Won't do anything for write performance though sadly, that's where a proper RAID 10 comes in.

  16. #16
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Seagate demos 480MB/s helium-based Exos X14 HDD

    I want one lol ... be too expensive....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •