Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Udoo Bolt 'maker board' packs an AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000

Thanks

Re: Udoo Bolt 'maker board' packs an AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000

Can't see any board space left for more SATA's - and not quite what they're aiming at to be fair with a full GPIO setup
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

This would not be a very good NAS as it has no ability to use SATA/SAS RAID without doing a software RAID which is performance hampener and it only has a single SATA slot.

Sadly, they would have to make a brand new custom board but I agree that this embedded chip could add a massive mini-itx possibility. Use an embedded v1000 with an onboard RAID controller, that would be fab.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    This would not be a very good NAS as it has no ability to use SATA/SAS RAID without doing a software RAID which is performance hampener and it only has a single SATA slot.

Sadly, they would have to make a brand new custom board but I agree that this embedded chip could add a massive mini-itx possibility. Use an embedded v1000 with an onboard RAID controller, that would be fab.
    A home NAS would be more likely to use ZFS which doesn't need or even like raid controllers. That does want ECC ram though, another hurdle.

If you are serving over the network, a SATA port multiplier could be fast enough to not be the bottleneck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    A home NAS would be more likely to use ZFS which doesn't need or even like raid controllers. That does want ECC ram though, another hurdle.

If you are serving over the network, a SATA port multiplier could be fast enough to not be the bottleneck.
    ZFS is only really suitable on 3 or more drives in multiples of a cluster. ZFS is basically RAID5 pooling. Because this board does not have a PCI-E adapter slot you wont be able to hook up an HBA to fully appreciate a pool.

I always find it amusing when people suggest ZFS for home use because it is a very heavy system and unless they are using a substantial (6 or more) drives there is no point in ZFS, might as well use RAID 10 or 5 until you have enough to make 2 3 drive glusters.

Thanks
    • persimmon's system
      • CPU:
      • n3455 8600k
      • Memory:
      • 8gb 16gb
      • Storage:
      • 12tb 2.5tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • uhd500 gtx1070
      • PSU:
      • DC 750w thorium

only hyper nerds use zfs for a home nas . everyone else uses either a pre bought system, or a windows-like system. ZFS is far too techy and beard-friendly.
    This board tho is too expensive for most home projects, its the same price as a m-ix with processor of choice.. it will have its niche , somewhere. I suppose its just trying to grab a bigger slice of the pi .

Thanks

ZFS does not "want" ECC ram as much as any other file system. Thats a myth invented and perpetuated by the FreeNAS community (which also created a few other shenanigans about ZFS like some retarded memory requirements). This myth has been debunked by one of the original ZFS developers Matthew Ahrens on Ars Technica forums. I can't post links so you will have to google it.

It also works just as fine with 1 or 2 drives on mirror. You can set copies=2 on a single device pool and still enjoy the benefits of self healing from data corruption at the cost of half your drive space.

Trust me. I'm a hyper nerd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information