• PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: UK broadband customers face steep price rises at contract end

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
    There should be a law in place requiring these companies too to advise you 2-4 weeks before your offer comes to and end or before you can cancel before that time (whichever is sooner (?)).
    It turns out that Ofcom did recently announce the proposal of new rules that will give Phone, Broadband and TV customers alerts about when their contract ends.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ract-is-ending

EDIT: Oops, it's actually pointed out in the HEXUS article that Ofcom is considering it (although only mentioning Broadband).

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Axle_Grease's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5960X
      • Memory:
      • (4x4) GSkill 15-15-15 3GHz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force MP510 1.9TB NVMe, Samsung 950 Pro SATA 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP Platinum 1300
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro, Manjaro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus RoG Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • 950/550Mb

Contracts with ISPs in the UK must mean something different compared to contracts in New Zealand. When a contract expires, it just means I am no longer bound to using a particular ISP and can choose to change providers without being charged a horrendous punishment fee. There has NEVER been a price rise. Why the hike in the UK? Is the government inflicting some general internet tax on users?

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Axle_Grease View Post
    Contracts with ISPs in the UK must mean something different compared to contracts in New Zealand. When a contract expires, it just means I am no longer bound to using a particular ISP and can choose to change providers without being charged a horrendous punishment fee. There has NEVER been a price rise. Why the hike in the UK? Is the government inflicting some general internet tax on users?
    Your first point is exactly the case here, on the second it's nothing to do with the government.

The price rise is done through semantics. The price in your contract was always (plucking a figure out of the air,) £50 per month BUT to entice you in for the first 12 months they'll apply a £15 per month discount. The "price rise" is just the result of that discount no longer being applied.

Some of the really shady ones (Origin I'm looking at you,) give you a 12 month discount but an 18 month contract.

5. Received thanks from:

Strawb77 (30-08-2018)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troopa View Post
    nationalise all broadband!
    I assume you're too young to remember when public services were nationalised... In other words, rather than being raped by horrendously overpriced services, you'd instead just get NO service, which will be supplied by overpaid lazy layabouts who are more concerned with which pub they'll go down this afternoon.

Registered+
    Thanks

In other news snow is white and grass is green...this happens across pretty much every facet of subscription service industry so it's not really news is it. Insurance, broadcasting, mobiles, gas, electricity so why is this a surprise to anyone?

They greedily hope that they can get a month or two of you not switching and paying through the nose and it's guaranteed if you contact them to move away they can suddenly change the price to something more satisfactory for another year or two of locked in contract. This has helped with the rise of the crap comparison website industry rather as well so the only losers are the consumer and in the UK due to pretty much every regulator being as much use as a screen door on a submarine, there's no incentive for any industry to change.

Thanks
    • Ironbuket's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock AMD X470 Taichi
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) T-Force Dark Pro
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 970EVO M.2, 1TB 850EVO + many others
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet Straight Power 750W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hyundai W240D v2 + Dell (both @1920x1200)
      • Internet:
      • Zen

This story could easy be spun as ‘UK broadband customer enjoy reduced prices at contract start’. IMHO it is not really a news story at all.

As others have stated, this kind of thing is not isolated to broadband alone and similar marketing tactics are employed in other industries to attract customers. Anyone that doesn’t realise this is going on and is surprised when their fee goes up must be from Mars
    2700X,X470 Taichi,Silverstone Fortress 2,16GB RAM, SSDx3, HDDx4,GTX970 G1 Gaming,24"x2(1xIPS,1xTFT),W10x64Pro
    HTPC: AthlonX2 5050e,M4A78-EM,AntecFusion,8GB RAM,ATi3200,32"Sony TV,W7x64Pre

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Troopa View Post
    nationalise all broadband!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I assume you're too young to remember when public services were nationalised... In other words, rather than being raped by horrendously overpriced services, you'd instead just get NO service, which will be supplied by overpaid lazy layabouts who are more concerned with which pub they'll go down this afternoon.

Ah yes, the good old days when the UK had electromechanical exchanges and puls dialling because although the GPO (as it was then) had developed electronic exchanges, they were deemed to expensive for anything but trunk exchanges. And of course we had party lines where two people shared the same line pair (( but a separate ringer line) so either party could hear the other's conversation.

And don't forget you could have any colour handset you liked as long as it was black and rented from he GPO because you couldn't connect your own.

To be fair, in the early days of telephony, rental was the way to go, and havng the system set up and run as a government department was probably a good thing to get things going, and it wasn't really until the late 1950/s early 1960s that telephone use became widespread - but by the 80's the system was creaking at the seams because of chronic underinvestment - typical of most nationalised industries at the time.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • phill8800GT's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA Classified 759 - EVGA Classified 762
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 4.4Ghz - i7 920 @ 4.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 6Gb G Skill Trident 2000Mhz - 6Gb G Skill Perfect Storm 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk Extreme SSD's and Raptors and 2Tb Drives for storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3 x GTX 580 3Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200 - Corsair AX1200
      • Case:
      • 2 x Custom Made Danger Den DD 21 Towers
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x 30" Dell 3011WFP
      • Internet:
      • 38Mb Down and 6Mb Up Plus.net Fibre

Yet all the price hikes and still no performance increases for the majority of the people out there.. Such a shame It's a sad world we live in...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phill8800GT View Post
    Yet all the price hikes and still no performance increases for the majority of the people out there.. Such a shame It's a sad world we live in...
    Really? I'm paying about £30 for 50 Mb/s - 10 years ago I was paying about £15 for 7Mb/s - I could be paying less but that includes static IP addresses - so price has doubled (not allowing for inflation, but the sped has increased 7 times.

I may not be typical, but I suspect the majority of people have experienced real speed increases in the last 10 to 15 years.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I may not be typical, but I suspect the majority of people have experienced real speed increases in the last 10 to 15 years.
    Go back only a little further, 20 odd years, and the only thing available was 64k ISDN costing £150+ per month (along with astronomical installation costs) or POTS dial up, i remember spending in excess of £200 per month on phone calls alone, the stupid things we do when young.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Go back only a little further, 20 odd years, and the only thing available was 64k ISDN costing £150+ per month (along with astronomical installation costs) or POTS dial up, i remember spending in excess of £200 per month on phone calls alone, the stupid things we do when young.
    Yes, I had ‘home highway’ which was an ISDN implementation - basic rental was the same (but as it was effectively two lines it was double normal rental) and yes, before that good old dial 9,600 baud modem!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Lets not forget when BT rolled out ADSL (512Kb) it was £40 per month. It has essentially stayed the same price since release with the speed constantly improving.

In fact, its probably dropped a bit as line rental makes up more of the cost than it used to. That is the real killer price-wise at the moment IMO. So many people are paying £17 per month for a telephone line that they technically don't really use. The sooner this is completely uncoupled from broadband, the better. In the past it was always possible to have incoming calls only for a cheap price, that concept needs to come back in the form of a data-only line.

If BT aren't careful, mobile networks could kill off a major component of their business, at least for the majority domestic users and the constantly rising rental fee seems to be the main thing pushing people in that direction at the moment.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Lets not forget when BT rolled out ADSL (512Kb) it was £40 per month. It has essentially stayed the same price since release with the speed constantly improving.

In fact, its probably dropped a bit as line rental makes up more of the cost than it used to. That is the real killer price-wise at the moment IMO. So many people are paying £17 per month for a telephone line that they technically don't really use. The sooner this is completely uncoupled from broadband, the better. In the past it was always possible to have incoming calls only for a cheap price, that concept needs to come back in the form of a data-only line.

If BT aren't careful, mobile networks could kill off a major component of their business, at least for the majority domestic users and the constantly rising rental fee seems to be the main thing pushing people in that direction at the moment.
    Much as I hate to stick up for BT (more specifically Openreach in this case,) line rental for the maintenance of the line. That line costs the same to provide whether it carries data or voice.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Much as I hate to stick up for BT (more specifically Openreach in this case,) line rental for the maintenance of the line. That line costs the same to provide whether it carries data or voice.
    What maintenance? The only real cost involved in the line itself is the 110Vac applied to it to power analogue phones, which is a constantly reducing load as analogue phones fall out of use. ADSL/VDSL and cordless phone terminations are self-powered DC devices. There's no great public works programme laying down shiny new copper to the home either, is there? All that stuff was laid down well before most of us were born, long before BT was sold off. And Virgin is well able to incorporate their marginal infrastructure costs into a flat fee for each service. Nope, BT is just milking their PSTN infrastructure monopoly for all its worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    What maintenance? The only real cost involved in the line itself is the 110Vac applied to it to power analogue phones, which is a constantly reducing load as analogue phones fall out of use. ADSL/VDSL and cordless phone terminations are self-powered DC devices. There's no great public works programme laying down shiny new copper to the home either, is there? All that stuff was laid down well before most of us were born, long before BT was sold off. And Virgin is well able to incorporate their marginal infrastructure costs into a flat fee for each service. Nope, BT is just milking their PSTN infrastructure monopoly for all its worth.
    But copper lines don't last for ever - and there is the rest of the infrastructure that needs maintaining - fibre isn't just fit and forget either, and as equipment becomes obsolete, it needs to be upgraded.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information