Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 17 to 22 of 22

Thread: Intel plans to cut CPU prices by up to 15 per cent

  1. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,385
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked
    304 times in 221 posts

    Re: Intel plans to cut CPU prices by up to 15 per cent

    Doesn't Intel still have that clause that reviews/benchmarks need to be done without the security patches installed?

    Or did they remove that over backlash?

  2. #18
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,672
    Thanks
    747
    Thanked
    1,498 times in 1,263 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 35 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Intel plans to cut CPU prices by up to 15 per cent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Doesn't Intel still have that clause that reviews/benchmarks need to be done without the security patches installed?

    Or did they remove that over backlash?
    I believe it is still there.

    Could be worse, I was looking for benchmarks for running Intel's Quartus FPGA compiling software to get an idea on what would be the best CPU & ram configuration to get for a build server. Such benchmarks are banned entirely under the terms of installing the software. When it takes an hour to do a compile it would be really nice to shave even a small percentage off of that, so thanks Intel.

  3. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,385
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked
    304 times in 221 posts

    Re: Intel plans to cut CPU prices by up to 15 per cent

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I believe it is still there.

    Could be worse, I was looking for benchmarks for running Intel's Quartus FPGA compiling software to get an idea on what would be the best CPU & ram configuration to get for a build server. Such benchmarks are banned entirely under the terms of installing the software. When it takes an hour to do a compile it would be really nice to shave even a small percentage off of that, so thanks Intel.
    I find that so scummy, means people are not allowed to establish the baseline of what they should be using the get the best.

    It means they can say you should have a W3175X and you have no real way of being able to say "nah mate, get prodded".

  4. #20
    Senior Member Xlucine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,160
    Thanks
    297
    Thanked
    188 times in 147 posts
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

    Re: Intel plans to cut CPU prices by up to 15 per cent

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    They might be supply-constrained, but if the competion is being perceived as faster and cheaper, it might well solve their supply-constraint issue .... by having the bottom drop out of demand. Then, the constraint won't be supply, but how to shift under-performing (comparatively) and over-priced stock.

    The way I see it is that Intel have been .... milking it ...., that is to say, charging what the market will bear, and now it'll no longer bear it. There's a contrarian streak in me that always prefers to support the underdog, not least because the existence and competitiveness of the underdog is about the only thing keeping the market leader's pricing even halfway-honest.

    I'd decided my next system purchase was going to be AMD well before the current generation, and just hadn't got around to doing it. 15% off Intel doesn't even come close to changing that. Frankly, 50% probably wouldn't, either. I'll just buy the AMD option that looks, to me, to provide optimum bang-for-buck, which will probably be mid-range, somewhere.
    I wouldn't consider intel until they stop pretending that the core architecture is gods gift to gamers, and start matching AMD core for core (including virtual cores). Right now the entire intel product stack feels more like a marketing trick to make the top end look less ridiculous and less like products worth buying

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I believe it is still there.

    Could be worse, I was looking for benchmarks for running Intel's Quartus FPGA compiling software to get an idea on what would be the best CPU & ram configuration to get for a build server. Such benchmarks are banned entirely under the terms of installing the software. When it takes an hour to do a compile it would be really nice to shave even a small percentage off of that, so thanks Intel.
    Are there any other options for FPGA software that don't hate their customers?

  5. #21
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,672
    Thanks
    747
    Thanked
    1,498 times in 1,263 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 35 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Intel plans to cut CPU prices by up to 15 per cent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    I find that so scummy, means people are not allowed to establish the baseline of what they should be using the get the best.

    It means they can say you should have a W3175X and you have no real way of being able to say "nah mate, get prodded".
    *shrug*, Intel annoyed me, I went for a Ryzen 2600. A 2600X would have been better as large part of an FPGA compile is still single threaded, but I needed a lot of ECC ram on a limited budget.

    I gather these compiles really like big L3 cache so I will be interested to see what a 3600X can do when they come out, but if I benchmark that I can't tell anyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Are there any other options for FPGA software that don't hate their customers?
    lol, probably not.

  6. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,385
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked
    304 times in 221 posts

    Re: Intel plans to cut CPU prices by up to 15 per cent

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    *shrug*, Intel annoyed me, I went for a Ryzen 2600. A 2600X would have been better as large part of an FPGA compile is still single threaded, but I needed a lot of ECC ram on a limited budget.

    I gather these compiles really like big L3 cache so I will be interested to see what a 3600X can do when they come out, but if I benchmark that I can't tell anyone.
    Maybe a pseudonym? Oh, look a leak from "SachayswithLinux", woner who that is!

  7. Received thanks from:

    DanceswithUnix (24-06-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •