• Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

Re: AMD Ryzen 3000 boost survey "worse than expected": der8auer

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    I buy my hardware based on the performance, not on what the box says. A lot of people are still obsessed with the raw speed rather than performance/clock (or more importantly performance/dollar) and I think that's why they've risked putting a number they knew the parts couldn't quite reach.

Although I do think we should take them to task, because slippery slope and all that, I think it's important for the reaction to be measured
    I think anything we do that makes chip makers timid about how aggressively their devices can boost would be bad.

If AMD were forced here to make sure that 100% of their chips can always get the full boost frequency on the cheapest motherboard in a badly vented case then they may feel compelled to cripple the boost tables for all chips by 200MHz and advertise that figure instead. I like that my chip in my system will always try and do the best it can.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

If you ever see "maximum" or "up to" you know full well real world conditions will not provide that.

I thought it was well understood that the AMD chips are essentially self overclocking to the maximum that bit of silly-cone can achieve and that, like all overclocking, depends on many factors outside the CPU.

I also thought it was well understood that to make maximum use of this facility, you needed aftermarket (ideally water) cooling.

I don't see 75MHz from randomly built, configured and operated PCs as being an issue. I would see it as an issue if a properly built, optimised and configured PC could not achieve the stated boost clocks.

This is like putting that silly petrol in your car that says "up to 30% more mileage!" and then complaining it makes only 10% difference in the real world. The advertised maximum is just that.

Intel saying you can do 5GHz on all cores and having a small fridge worth around a grand plumbed into the CPU is clearly an issue with disingenuous marketing.

I hope they have found a BIOS issue that will shut this up because it's blown out of all proportion.

Banned - repeated insults to other members
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mercyground View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Personally I would like to see a controlled test rather than random users with different hardware taking random times to do the test.

I'm surprised Hexus published this as a "news" article. Should have just said bloke gets random users with random hardware to do a test. Results inconclusive.
    Shame that the Random guy only happens to be one of the worlds best overclockers eh?
    Except that when you overclock/over-volt or whatever, AMD doesn't guarantee ANYTHING! Max boost is opportunistic, as has been emphasized ad nauseum deoending on whatever thermal headroom might be available and depending on whatever mobo/firmware etc.

So convenient for the whiners and moaners like you to neglect to mention that!

Thanks

If it's opportunistic depending on thermal headroom then they got something wrong as in a GN video they showed a 3900X only reached its advertised boost clock when it reached -80c.

Not that it matters much now as going on tests conducted on a leaked update it seem they've fixed things.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information