• Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Re: BritBox streaming service from BBC and ITV launched today

Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    personally with BBC content my opinion is that we have already paid for it, with license fees, since day 1, we should now have access to all of it. This may however, require an increase in license fees to pay for hosting.
    That's what I was saying in a discussion elsewhere. We've already paid for this content to be produced but if you didn't watch it live or manage to catch a repeat, tough. There's the DVD/BluRay route but it leaves a bitter taste paying for it twice.

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

If they can license streaming BBC without a TV license they will have a product, it seems to be mainly for resale though rather than the mass market.

I am just waiting until everything on Sounds + iPlayer is with a year archive, or more, then my TV license may seem worth it again. Meanwhile I use it for the monthly Bloomberg or Music TV session. Ripped off? You bet.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

I can see myself subscription surfing. This month kids its Britbox. Next month its Disney+. Better get binge watching on the exclusives! I just can't justify more than one 'tv' subscription of more than about £7 month (I never bothered with Sky as it was so expensive). Who is going to keep all these subscriptions going?

I'm just hoping the different firms will offer deals as you cancelled say 6 months ago, have 2 months for 1! That'll be even cheaper. I can then play the same game I do with broadband by switching and hardly paying anything.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

I have to wonder if this is a pre-cursor to an entirely different BBC model, not least because the TV licence days seem to be numbered, and with it, perhaps, broadcaster-led content scheduling.

Msybe it makes more sense, for the majority of "users" to dump clanky old broadcast mechanusms entirely? After all, that's a huge chunk of currentky reserved bandwidth that would no doubt have significant revenue-generating commercial uses.

They could even have a "streaming" channel or two with current BBC1/2 content, and a +1, +2, +24 type option from an online TV Guide that then does an on-demand supply thing if anyone selects from that guide.

Same could apply to providing the elements necessary to meet the BBC charter obligations to inform, educate, etc.

I've so far supported the license model, but even I'm finding it harder and garder to do so ....helped by the BBC cramming the gap between programs with adverts .... for their own stuff.

One USP for Auntie Beeb always was content delivery uninterrupted by adverts but even that is getting to be so last century, with znetflix, etc, offering ad-free delivery and advertisers moving (sorry, largely already moved) online, at least in large part.

The whole broadcast "over air" thing is starting to look a bit like the last of a dinosaur breed that hasn't yet noticed it's a fossil.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Helped by the BBC cramming the gap between programs with adverts .... for their own stuff..
    This is a large part of the problem for me, we pay £150 a year to get television without adverts, that we absolutely must pay to watch any live TV, even if you're watching it through SkyGo on a Playstation, streamed over the internet, but they put adverts in.

It doesn't matter if that advert is for the new Mega Ultra Triple Stacker from McDonalds or for the latest BBC program, an advert is an advert. They've even introduced them into the iPlayer (skippable, but for how long?).

I'm currently paying for a TV Licence so that I can watch the Formula 1, through a PS4, via a SkyGo subscription that my dad allows me to use; what does the BBC have to do with that? £150 a year stings a lot. I use the iPlayer as well, but only to try and get some value out of that £150.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

The issue of the eventual move away from the licence fee is removing the stuff it also pays for but can't be controlled. If it was just TV you could lock most (I'd argue Parliament & News should be FTA regardless of platform,) inside the iPlayer and charge a sub and for TV this would be fine.

But it also pays for the website, which is also easy to put behind a sub.

And radio. Which is not. Both the national and local AM/FM stations have no simple way of going behind a paywall without turning off broadcast altogether. And IP radio has nowhere near the reach as IP TV.

Of course you could make them as funded or remove them, but I'd say that while the market could replace the national stations local radio is woeful.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    The issue of the eventual move away from the licence fee is removing the stuff it also pays for but can't be controlled. If it was just TV you could lock most (I'd argue Parliament & News should be FTA regardless of platform,) inside the iPlayer and charge a sub and for TV this would be fine.

But it also pays for the website, which is also easy to put behind a sub.

And radio. Which is not. Both the national and local AM/FM stations have no simple way of going behind a paywall without turning off broadcast altogether. And IP radio has nowhere near the reach as IP TV.

Of course you could make them as funded or remove them, but I'd say that while the market could replace the national stations local radio is woeful.
    The problem with all this is the old and poor. Its all well and good sticking this stuff behind a subscription but when the average 70+ year old struggles to even access the internet how can they get it? Its going to go this way eventually however it will require internet access to be pretty much ubiquitous first (and smart devices that don't go dumb after 2 years - looking at some budget TVs that no longer work!). I still think you need to give it 10 years+.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    The problem with all this is the old and poor. Its all well and good sticking this stuff behind a subscription but when the average 70+ year old struggles to even access the internet how can they get it? Its going to go this way eventually however it will require internet access to be pretty much ubiquitous first (and smart devices that don't go dumb after 2 years - looking at some budget TVs that no longer work!). I still think you need to give it 10 years+.
    You must know a different bunch of 70-year olds to me, if the "average" struggles to access the internet. One or two I know don't have the net, but it's through choice not lack of ability. The other couple of dozen or so have been accessing it for many years. And it is an ..... erm .... self-remedying issue anyway.

Besides, if you can access a TV program guide on cable etc, you can access a Netflux engine. The transmission mechanism, be it over-air, cable service or streaming, is pretty much irrelevant.

I think you underestimate many 70-yr-olds and over.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    You must know a different bunch of 70-year olds to me, if the "average" struggles to access the internet. One or two I know don't have the net, but it's through choice not lack of ability. The other couple of dozen or so have been accessing it for many years. And it is an ..... erm .... self-remedying issue anyway.

Besides, if you can access a TV program guide on cable etc, you can access a Netflux engine. The transmission mechanism, be it over-air, cable service or streaming, is pretty much irrelevant.

I think you underestimate many 70-yr-olds and over.
    Agreed.

Also 95% of the country has access to broadband according to OFCOM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Seems a bit late to the streaming train? A lot of work needed to stand out surely

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information