Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK FTTP coverage passes 10 per cent milestone

Thanks

Re: UK FTTP coverage passes 10 per cent milestone

Until people stop choosing based on price rather than quality, this is going to take time.

Also, those in rural areas pay much less than those in urban spaces for their homes (per sqm) - why should towns folk subsidise them? They can pay for fibre, or satellite if needed even if it is costly .. or offer to susidise rent for townies if they want their broadband paid for by someone else.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gagaga View Post
    Also, those in rural areas pay much less than those in urban spaces for their homes (per sqm) - why should towns folk subsidise them? They can pay for fibre, or satellite if needed even if it is costly .. or offer to susidise rent for townies if they want their broadband paid for by someone else.
    Those living in rural areas pay less for their homes, because they pay a LOT more for everything else.

You don't get gas out here, everything either has to be electric (good luck with your heating bill in Winter) or, if you're lucky, oil heating... assuming you don't get a visit from the 'Transient Person Community' coming to steal your oil while you're out at work.
    Oh, and your house was built in 1865, so there's no insulation and even the methods available on the free government scheme cannot be applied to your property. Expect your room temperature to be measured in single digits!

Additionally, your house will be somewhat crumbly and prone to invasion by rats, mice, bats, wasps, spiders and the like. Ground movement and flooding are also concerns, as are insect swarms if you have any crop fields nearby. You can expect an annual average of 11 thripps to get stuck inside each TV screen or PC monitor in your house.

You have no sewerage out here, either. Septic tank if you're lucky, otherwise cess pit - That's at least £110 every month for tankering, including discounts.

You have no public transport out here and there often aren't even pavements, so you have to drive everywhere... no quickly nipping down the shops, and you can't even take your dogs out for a walk without first driving somewhere. Taxi drivers do not carry lube.
    You'll also find almost no-one can find your house apart from the Post Office, and most takeaways won't deliver out that far, either.

Being 40mph limits instead of 30, roads are used as racetracks by the Kev community, and townies seem to think it's great fun to fly tip their crap (sometimes literally) in your front garden rather than pay the disposal fees at the local tip.

I'm currently stuck on 0.7Mbps and there is only one service provider available to us, while the Townies are complaining about "only" having between 15 and 80Meg... same for mobile, and the only carrier to get more than 25% signal out this far is Vodafone. There is plenty of infrastructure that skirts around and even right through our area, to service all the corporate, industrial and military installations nearby, but they won't branch off to us.

Incidentally, we're not exactly what I'd call 'rural' either - I live just 8 minutes from the very epicentre of the largest town in the UK.... and we didn't even choose it. Rent was getting too high in town, and the council force-purchased most of our properties off the landlord, to knock them down and build smaller more expensive ones which were flogged to the London commuters.
    You don't get to make choices based on quality, round here. Your choices are dictated by price.

So yeah, having forced us out here just because the Townies couldn't afford London rates, and from the amount it costs us in clearing up their fly tipping alone, I'd say they owe us - In fact, if I didn't have to pay for that, I would be able to afford a fibre line direct to my own property!!

Registered+
    Thanks

Still waiting..many promises. IT takes time though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information