Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft prepares full screen nag for Windows 7 holdouts

Thanks

Re: Microsoft prepares full screen nag for Windows 7 holdouts

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    MS is damned if they do, damned if they don't in this situation.....
    It's fair enough for MS to 'let users know' and for me, it would very much depend on how this works. I guess it's what is implied by "nag" screen.

If it brings up a suitably worded warning once, and requires people to acknowledge EOS and the implications ..... fair enough. Consider me duly warned, and thanks for letting me know.

But then, I shouldn't need to start messing witb reg keys, or whatever, to stop it recurring, because just clicking "I know, now go away" would suffice. Nor would I categorise such a warning as a "nag".

That word rather implies that it'll keep nagging until it detects that you're upgraded. And if it does that then I would find it objectionable ... if MS could get at my W7 machines to install it in the first place which, unless they installed ig quite some yearx ago, they can't.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    For anyone that wants to pre-stop the nagging

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\EOSNotify]
    "DiscontinueEOS"=dword:00000001

OR

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\EOSNotify" /v DiscontinueEOS /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

And finally

You can also delete 2 tasks in the Task Scheduler called:
    "EOSNotify" and "EOSNotify2"
    I don't need to do that just switch it out for Linux LoL I could have install Windows 10

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by =assassin= View Post
    I actually had an update for Windows 7 last night for the first time in ages. After booting today, I waited around half an hour but it stayed stuck on the 'waiting to configure' screen, before I got bored and reset. Literally no hard disk activity, so nout was going on. Update failed and rolled back. Typical. That's the problem with MS, even when they do updates, they often end up causing problems. The amount of times I've seen Win10 machines at work get stuck during updating is endless. I'm tempted to update my fathers PC to Win10, but tbh, I'm more concerned about it screwing up the install, or not accepting the key on the case, than any actual 'fear' of Windows 10 like some people have.
    And that, apart from the "telemetry" issue, is one of the main reasons people are holding back. There have been so many borked updates that it's not even funny anymore. And those updates are forced on you. Makes you think that if they can't even get updates right, how can those claims of a safer and more secure Windows be believed. I, for one, still consider Windows 10 a downgrade to Windows 7, and I've been following Windows 10 since the early beta/insider versions (in a VM, of course).

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I wasn't trying to 'fix' other peoples' post, i was being humours but it seems you've had a humourextomy.
    I understand your intent... you were just using an outdated version of Humour, which is no longer supported and is now vulnerable to failures. You should consider upgrading to Humour10.

Ironix and Sarcasmus are alternatives, but really only for a niche market of advanced comedians with specific audiences.
    But if you want to get all high and mighty over it, you really need to be using the iJoke... in a trendy coffee shop, with your velvet jacket and hipster beard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    And that, apart from the "telemetry" issue, is one of the main reasons people are holding back. There have been so many borked updates that it's not even funny anymore. And those updates are forced on you. Makes you think that if they can't even get updates right, how can those claims of a safer and more secure Windows be believed. I, for one, still consider Windows 10 a downgrade to Windows 7, and I've been following Windows 10 since the early beta/insider versions (in a VM, of course).
    I completely agree with the "borked" issue, but it goes further even than that.

For any system change, I have two main criteria :-

1) When it's done
    2) How it's done.

Yes, these days you have a bit more control over deferring, but as far as I'm concerned, any short of "when I want to" is not acceptable. I work to deadlines and the last thing I need is my system being unavailable right when I have an issue. A borked system at the wrong moment could cost me a project, or a client.

But more important is the "how".

I have a process, which includes backing up data externally, then mirroring the system drive. I then boot from the copy, so that if disaster strikes, I can simply remove the borked drive an re-insert the original. That's partly why I have systrm drives in removable trays.

Then, before updating, I physically disconnect the array with data on it. The logic is, data is king.

But I can't do any of that unless control over exactly when an update occurs is completely under my control. Not Microsoft's.

So sure, possible borked updates is part of it but it's more that that - it's the presumptiom of MS deciding that they can determine when (and indeed if) my machine updates.

I wonder how they'd like it if I pre-empted their server update schedules and decided they were going to happen when it suits me, regardless of their plans? I rather suspect they ..... ummmm .... would be a bit uphappy about it.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    While I agree with the sentiment Win7 has had its fair share of borked updates, and unless you've been selective which updates you've applied in the last 4 years it also has backported telemetry included via Windows Update.

Thanks

I actually had an update for Windows 7 last night for the first time in ages. After booting today, I waited around half an hour but it stayed stuck on the 'waiting to configure' screen, before I got bored and reset. Literally no hard disk activity, so nout was going on. Update failed and rolled back. Typical. That's the problem with MS, even when they do updates, they often end up causing problems. The amount of times I've seen Win10 machines at work get stuck during updating is endless. I'm tempted to update my fathers PC to Win10, but tbh, I'm more concerned about it screwing up the install, or not accepting the key on the case, than any actual 'fear' of Windows 10 like some people have.
    If the hardware is new enough I've had few if any issues...
    However it's not great if you aren't running an ssd boot disk
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Yay a custom user title! =assassin='s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    If the hardware is new enough I've had few if any issues...
    However it's not great if you aren't running an ssd boot disk
    My own PC is self-built from 2010, and my fathers is a Dell one from 2011. I'll personally be keeping my own one as Windows 7, as I plan to retire it in late 2020/early 2021 anyway, and from then on it'll be used for old games and kept away from the internet. For my fathers PC though, he'll still need it for internet use, (and playing Solitaire!) so I'm going to have to check out what drivers etc are available for the chipset. I'll have to load up CPU-Z to find out what motherboard it is. All I know is that it is an i3 2100, 4Gb RAM, a horribly ancient HD 6450 that was bad even in 2011, but fine for internet use of course, and unfortunately, it does only have a standard 500Gb hard drive; no SSD there. The printer connected to it is even older, an Epson DX4000 from around 2006-2007, although I think it may be possible to get that to work.

Thanks
    • rob4001's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z97
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1231 v3
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1660 super
      • PSU:
      • Sliverstone 500w SFX-L
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG13 mitx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Comcast 75MB

My own PC is self-built from 2010, and my fathers is a Dell one from 2011. I'll personally be keeping my own one as Windows 7, as I plan to retire it in late 2020/early 2021 anyway, and from then on it'll be used for old games and kept away from the internet. For my fathers PC though, he'll still need it for internet use, (and playing Solitaire!) so I'm going to have to check out what drivers etc are available for the chipset. I'll have to load up CPU-Z to find out what motherboard it is. All I know is that it is an i3 2100, 4Gb RAM, a horribly ancient HD 6450 that was bad even in 2011, but fine for internet use of course, and unfortunately, it does only have a standard 500Gb hard drive; no SSD there. The printer connected to it is even older, an Epson DX4000 from around 2006-2007, although I think it may be possible to get that to work.
    Maybe you could pick up a 4th gen haswell i5 dell for you father they got for like 50 ish that wouldnt be so bad.

Yay a custom user title! =assassin='s Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I went for it today on my father's PC, made a few backups of personal files, and hit the upgrade button..... and although it took about 3 hours, it has all updated ok, and it shows as being activated, so I'm pleased with the result. Seemed pretty painless in the end, and I've gone through turning off as many spy options as I can, so it is just minimal now. I'm relieved it's now over! Although I'm still keeping my own PC as Windows 7 for reasons I've mentioned before (namely older game compatibility). Regarding any CPU upgrades, the current one works fine for the basic uses he has of the machine (pretty much Internet and Solitaire), so I'd prefer not to mess around with anything.

Registered+
    Thanks

And perish the thought that M$ might develop some virus
    after the deadline to encourage stubborn users to jump
    ship ? Totally untinkable in 2020 if I may say old boy !!!

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by albert89 View Post
    And perish the thought that M$ might develop some virus
    after the deadline to encourage stubborn users to jump
    ship ? Totally untinkable in 2020 if I may say old boy !!!
    I'm not sure you're serious but if you are: no chance.

For one thing MS will still be supporting Windows 7 for the next 3 years, you just need to be a corporate customer willing to pay through the nose for it.

For another they wouldn't anyway due to the risk of being caught. Imagine the financial and reputational damage arising from deliberately targeting your own product with malware, ant trust and goodwill would be gone instantly. Too much risk for so little reward when most will migrate of their own accord anyway.

The final reason is they won't need to. Within 6 months at best someone will have found a vulnerability that will now go unpatched.

I don't particularly like or trust MS, but they're not stupid enough to do that.

Thanks
    • simonpreston's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X370 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • A lot.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS1000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 20.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2412m
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Made the switch to Kubuntu, a few months back, although my Windows OS is 10 in a dual boot. Barring things like gaming and Ableton, I have very little reason to boot in to Windows. Some of the new games run on Linux, and well. It's also much easier to talk to other devices on the home network.

Registered+
    Thanks

They can nag me all they want, until drivers and software for my old creamware audio cards turn up that work with Win10 I'll be sticking with 7.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information