Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chipmakers asked to build advanced chip foundries in US

Thanks

Re: Chipmakers asked to build advanced chip foundries in US

The American dream is about to restart. Outsourcing manufacturing to Asia is always a bad idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    The American dream is about to restart. Outsourcing manufacturing to Asia is always a bad idea.
    Why is that?

Thanks
    • ultrasbm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 5800x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb DDR4-3600
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb WD Black PCIe NVMe SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia RTX3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 800watt
      • Case:
      • IN WIN 909
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Enterprise x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 32" Curved 1440p
      • Internet:
      • 540Mbps Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I also read from that,the US does not even trust Europe. GF for example have a huge fab in Germany too.
    There's a reason why AMD don't get their 7nm chips fabbed there...they suck (relatively speaking).
    tsmc may only be 1 process node in front of everyone else, but that's a giant leap in semiconductors...
    GF are like 2 nodes behind. Still not as bad as Intel lol!

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

At least production with a high degree of automation i cant see why you should out source it.
    Okay a Dane overseeing a production line, are more expensive than a Chinese guy, but in the greater perspective that's marginal and probably you make that up on reduced shipping.

I once painted parts for harvesters, that was outsourced to Poland / that ways at least.
    But they was not able to do right on paint so the parts was made there shipped to Denmark for me to paint and then shipped back to Poland for assembly ( i cant even understand that is legal to do from a environmental perspective )
    And often i had to send parts back cuz they forgotten to do something to them, and only my skill / education as a machine worker with extensive training in construction / welding, made me see the errors.
    Most other would probably just have painted the parts and shipped them back, just to have them self see the error, strip the paint off the thing, do it right and then again truck it to Denmark for me to paint.
    It is not just in government incompetence are a big thing, i have even see it in LEAN / ISO xxxxx certified companies.
    I also dont understand countries are allowed to export their garbage, often to some third world country where it become a even bigger problem.

BUT ! in general there are a lot of things in the world i just do not get.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Viking View Post
    And often i had to send parts back cuz they forgotten to do something to them, and only my skill / education as a machine worker with extensive training in construction / welding, made me see the errors.
    That's the killer with outsourcing, lack of oversight.

Not sure it works for fabs though, where the fab tells their customer the design rules to make chips work.

Thanks
    • persimmon's system
      • CPU:
      • n3455 8600k
      • Memory:
      • 8gb 16gb
      • Storage:
      • 12tb 2.5tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • uhd500 gtx1070
      • PSU:
      • DC 750w thorium

This is more a fear of T-rump rather than fear of China.. (they're a paper tiger).
    It makes a lot more sense NOW to re-patriate chip foundrys as they're not labor intensive, what jobs there are, are good paying (vote winning). It might slow down "innovation" in China tho .

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Aren't all the latest greatest nodes ROC (or SK) not PRC?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 15-05-2020 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
    Meanwhile there is pressure in China to invade Taiwan while everyone is caught up with Corona-fever. I can't understand China, sometimes I respect them but then the stuff I've been reading since this crisis started has been very negative. With trump and the decline of the USA, who will be the next major world power? EU?
    US will just take a Q or two off here, already protesting to go back to work. People know it is fake news. Counting everything as covid even if you die from a car wreck and happen to have covid, oops, it's a covid death.

We are going back to work. I expect a bad Q or two, but then back to normal Q4 or Q1 with next year being completely back by year end. The dems can't keep states closed to bankrupt us. They will be shot first by millions who would rather fight than starve by idiots fear mongering. You don't need more than $1 pill for 5 days and this is a non issue for everyone but people at deaths door already. No need for vaccines. Dumb to potentially mess yourself up with that crap when you can just ride it out (80% don't even know they get it) and build immunity as usual (skip vaccines for crap like this, flu is dumb, want to be tracked?)

China tried to take down the world with them, but USA going back to work along with other nations. China will pay for this, allowing everyone to fly out of Wuhan to infect the world while they could NOT fly INSIDE from wuhan. Nice, TARIFF them to death trump. Start a war if needed, they already have for decades stealing IP etc. We have enough F35's to take out their ENTIRE air force in one shot without them even seeing us on radar then bomb until no military left and no factories. Dare them to attack then take everything they own if their that dumb. Kill everyone that is communist in their country (100mil or so use the rest as slaves), give what is left to the slaves working to death there right now. Give them a copy of USA constitution and wish them good luck Give everyone a gun (required!) and kill anyone who tries to take them from you forever (that is how you stay FREE) You're welcome.

Your govt should FEAR you, not the other way around. THEY work for YOU. Never forget that. YOU OWN THEM!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

China and Russia are strategic partners.

So anymore than a small skirmish with both countries,with lead to a nuclear war. People nowadays are very detached from reality and think war is like a computer game. Even if by some fluke they decided to not use their nuclear weapons don't people know any history??

People have to see what happened during the Korean War,it was fought to a stalemate,because China can commit a lot of soldiers to any conventional war. China was massively behind in technology during that era too. The US lost 37000 in that war,and China lost 183000 and it didn't do anything. Vietnam,was even worse. The French and US tried to defeat them,and lost 135000 soldiers(80000 of those from France,the US and Australia) over a period of 29 years.

We can't even effectively win over insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan in the last 20 years.

Look at what happened with Germany - Russia just swamped the Nazis,and even the great Soviet victories were with losses 3~5 times more than the Germans. It's even worse with China - 1.4 billion people. 20% of the world's population. They could lose 10 times more soldiers than us in a conflict,and it would still lead to losses if the kind we haven't seen since WW2. Then even if we "win" how would we manage to actually hold a country that size,especially if there is an insurgency??

Guess what?? All the sabre rattling politicians will make sure they and their families will never need to actively serve. You saw this with the Vietnam war draft - so many US politicians found creative ways to avoid doing their service,or get into cushy second rate positions which saw no combat.

Also who created the China "problem" - all the greedy corporations who fired our local workers and dumped jobs abroad because 40 years of governments were more worried about profits NOT people. Others did it so they get away from workers rights and environmental regulations here in Europe and the US. China then said "thank you" and played the greedy lot,and now all of them are in a panic.

They only had to see how Japan,Taiwan and South Korea came from nothing,as they were also used as "cheap sources of labour" and they ended up being major technological powerhouses. To not see the same happening with China,especially considering it's ancient history, shows you how shortsighted they were. People said it would happen for years.

Best thing is to move more jobs back to our countries,especially for certain things we should be making locally anyway. Globalism isn't 100% bad,but at the same time there has to be checks and balances to every system.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 15-05-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    You don't need more than $1 pill for 5 days and this is a non issue for everyone but people at deaths door already.
    That sounds awesome, what do you know that the medical profession has missed?

Or perhaps you are talking about Chloroquine. I'm amazed that Trump has been putting that forward, he doesn't have enough supporters that he can go around mass killing them off with Chloroquine induced heart attacks for minimal medical benefit against Covid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information